Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gotten the Survival Shooter to run on Android using Daydream Unity (just a Cardboard version)

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by CGinSeattle, Oct 25, 2016.

1. CGinSeattle

CGinSeattle

I tried to compile and run the Unity Survival Shooter (latest release from Asset Store) on my regular Android device.
    1) originally I was altering it to run Cardboard using the Daydream preview and while everything compiled fine and downloaded, it won't run "Application has stopped" right off the bat. Note: I had already successfully built the cardboard head demo and gotten it to run on my regular android tablet, so I was sure of the procedure to use.
    1b) I tried turning off the vr parts, or the various input modules, sound, etc. but nothing changed.

2) thinking it was Cardboard or the Daydream preview of Unity for some reason, I went and tried just building the completed/final scene for the shooter (it's supposed to build correctly for almost all platforms). It built and downloaded, but again, the exact same problem.

Any ideas? Thanks,
    Cynthia

2. CGinSeattle

CGinSeattle

I have it semi-working. Putting what I did in case it may help someone else.
    I did it in increments.
    1) downloaded a brand new clean version from asset store, into a clean project in version 5.3.5
    it crashed 5.3.5
    2) downloaded " to version 5.4.2f
    it crashed 5.4.2f
    3) restarted 5.4.2f and loaded it, it loaded fine
    4) redownloaded/updated it to get the files that crashed it (and weren't included therefore...apparently related to tutorial splash screen and GI stuff)
    5) saved and closed 5.4.2f
    6) opened Daydream version, loaded project (accepted warnings that this was an earlier version of unity)
    loads ok
    7) built and run onto Android tablet (running 5) using Android 4.4 minimum, and with new id i.e. com.company.app
    8) loaded ok and ran
    9)package loaded googlevr for unity package as custom (checked to make sure head demo (cardboard) ran in editor ok
    10)turned all elements in head demo into prefabs, then reopened shooter scene and loaded prefabs one at a time into shooter scene (a. loaded maincamera from headdemo, then made main camera from shooter mimic its settings, have the same scripts in addition to the ones it already had)...
    a) maincamera with same scripts and recticle prefab...built, run - no, will run unity splash screen then quit
    b) added cube with all the teleport script functionality...built, run - no, same
    c) added floor canvas (did not put back in script functionality yet) ...bulit, run - no
    d) added gv viewer...built, run - no
    e) turned off tutorial splash...built, run -no, same
    f) turned off vrmode in viewer, built and run - no, same
    g) turned ON VR SDK support switch in Build, Player settings (remember, was trying to determine what went wrong), added Cardboard (removed Occulus)...built, run - yes (goes automatically into stereo mode, can't get unfortunately mono view because gv viewer settings are ignored.)

11) haven't tried putting back in the sound (spacializer sound that uses plugin in order to get spacialized sound) so do not know if that will be a problem yet. Also, need to find a way to let character move, since touch/mousedown shoots, and movement of tablet via carboard just rotates around scene and tilts. The standard controller apparently does not accommodate tablets (i.e. no direct conversion from left/right/up/down keys into something on the tablet that I can find)

And I don't know why it crashed 5.3.5 and 5.4.2f when it downloaded. But so far, it is limping along partially.