Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone doing the One Hour Game Jam today... 1 hour from now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarBenjamin, Jun 17, 2017.

1. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hey, I was thinking I might participate in the One Hour Game Jam this afternoon.

Just curious if anyone else here is planning to?

It starts about 1 hour from now.

2. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Actually, I'm going to try! It'll be my 1st time so I'm off to look at the previous 1hr game jams and the rules :D

GarBenjamin likes this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

No. Very tired and probably already missed it.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's half over now. I just stopped. The theme is The Floor is Lava. I thought sounds perfect for an ultra simple platform game. But unfortunately, I don't know AGK2 well enough to know how to work with both sprites and the drawing commands (DrawBox, etc) and I don't have any system in place to easily work with tile maps.

When I returned to AGK2 last weekend I jumped straight into 3D so switching back to 2D was weird. I also found that having a theme chosen for me by someone else and not having any vision in my head of what I want to build to be very alienating. I normally have a pretty clear idea (overall concept) in my head of what I am building. And I also have a very good idea of how to do it technically. So when I actually start development I can work rapidly.

Didn't work that way at all for this. Took a bit just to come up with ah platform game. Need tiles. Hmm... no time to mess with tiles. I can create the map in code. Well it might be better to draw it as blocks in a paint program (<-- this is where I went wrong... should have went with the idea to use code then everything would be using DrawBox) and so forth.

Makes you realize how much of this stuff you figure out away from the computer normally. I found it to be a great experience overall though. Made me realize I need to get a solution for ultra fast level building (basically create that image to level thing I did for my last Unity project) and I need to spend more time in AGK2 in general.

I will probably try another 1HGJ one in 3 months or so. The really weird thing is in contrast I found working in AGK2 on my Space Invaders game project last week to be very easy and fast. And it is in 3D. The difference is it was just cubes animating and moving. No level design involved.

Honestly it will be extremely difficult to complete any playable game in 1 hour. Maybe endless shmup or something like that. But when you get into level interaction and object interaction time will stack up fast.

5. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

What do you think of what I did?

http://onehourgamejam.com/?page=author&author=felineinteractive

I have to say that's the fastest I'd ever made a game in my life, and it was fun and I'll do it again!

I did some incredibly stupid things there:

1: The map isn't infinite. It spawns 900 random boxes in Start and that's the end of the level.
    2: The camera angle is a bit too high, it should face down more.
    3: The lava floor is just an asset I used, didn't even spend more than a minute to try to make it look better. So the floor looks atrocious.
    4: The ball doesn't rotate because I made the camera a child of it since I didn't want to spend a minute writing a script.
    5: Due to no point of reference in the background, it gives the impression that the boxes are moving and not the player.
    6: Had the Distance text not showing in the build, took me a while to fix that in 0.1.2. At least the stream isn't up yet so no one will know ;)

Overall it could have been worse.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hey I think that is really good and certainly is probably one of the best looking games submitted.

I did notice I can fly by repeatedly pressing jump (even in air) so am in no danger of dying but completely get it you only had 1 hour.

Overall great job! Very smart idea on going procedural for the level generation. That saved a ton of time.

Actually I just checked out some of the others too. There's some other Unity submissions there.

Well, here is the mockup I made for mine. I had scoped too big. Which is a change for me. This is level 1 of the few levels I planned to have. lol Lava flies up in the air so player has to time it.

It kind of all fell apart though when I realized I didn't a) fully understand AGK2 enough to work with both sprites and rectangles (should have ditched sprites completely) and b) didn't have anything to build the levels with. Thinking about it now I could have just use Tiled and used the data in csv format. Ha ha!

My mind has been so focused on 3D lately. The past couple of days I have been messing around learning shaders. So this represented a major mind shift. I'll be better prepared next time around.

iamthwee likes this.
  7. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Well thank you! :D

I noticed most of the games submitted are really simple 2D square-block games; many people are using much more basic engines than Unity. I pulled 2 assets off the Asset Store (the skybox and the floor), and I'm surprised that's all it took to get a graphical quality advantage.

Yeah, by spamming space and right you can stay above the lava forever and get an infinite score. To fix that I'd add a script limiting the ball's height and how many times you can press space in a time period.

I tried to be honest about the 1 hour limit, the only thing I did after the 1 hour was post the game and fix a bug where the distance text wasn't showing because I didn't properly anchor it in the Canvas. Since everything was already done but it just wasn't showing, I thought it was OK to release a fixed version (hence the 0.1.2 on the game page).

That is very, very primitive procedural level generation. This is the script that generates the 900 blocks:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using System.Linq;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. public class Generator : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public float MinSpaceX;
    8.     public float MaxSpaceX;
    9.     public float MinSpaceY;
    10.     public float MaxSpaceY;
    11.     public float MinX;
    12.     public float MaxY;
    13.     public List<Transform> SpawnedObjects;
    14.     public List<Vector3> SpawnPositions;
    15.     public Transform Player;
    16.     public GameObject SpawnedObject;
    17.     // Use this for initialization
    18.     void Start ()
    19.     {
    20.         Generate();
    21.     }
    23.     public void Generate()
    24.     {
    25.         Debug.Log("COunt: " + SpawnPositions.Count);
    26.         if (SpawnPositions.Count <=0)
    27.         {
    28.             SpawnPositions.Add(new Vector3(Player.transform.position.x + MinSpaceX, Random.Range(MinSpaceY, MaxSpaceY), Player.position.z));
    29.             Instantiate(SpawnedObject, SpawnPositions.Last(), Quaternion.identity);
    30.         }
    31.         for (int i = 0; i < 900; i++)
    32.         {
    33.             SpawnPositions.Add(new Vector3(Random.Range(SpawnPositions.Last().x + MinSpaceX, SpawnPositions.Last().x + MaxSpaceX),
    34.                 Random.Range(MinSpaceY, MaxSpaceY), Player.position.z));
    35.             Instantiate(SpawnedObject, SpawnPositions.Last(), Quaternion.identity);
    36.         }
    37.     }
    39.     // Update is called once per frame
    40.     void Update ()
    41.     {
    43.     }
    44. }
    Basically it spawns a cube, then it adds a random ranged number to the last cube's position and does that 900 times.

I've done that before in this project (that I quit because I ran out of ideas for it): http://gamejolt.com/games/ball-jumper/193869

However I didn't copy the generation script from that object, the script above I wrote in the 1 hour. The script in the older project was done better as it generated a truly infinite level while also deleting parts the player passed to keep the performance good on mobile.

That's a really cool idea!

Just curious, why did you go with AGK2 instead of Unity?
    THAT is something I have absolutely 0 knowledge of. Learning Git and Shader programming are next on my radar. I just want to make a simple game and publish it, but every time I start a project I scope it so big I end up with thousands of lines of code that then turns into a huge time drag and I'm never able to finish anything :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    iamthwee and GarBenjamin like this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A one hour jam. That's an interesting concept.

I assume you are allowed to open visual studio in advance? Otherwise there goes most of my hour...

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Joking aside I wonder how many people use an asset to disable automatic compilation for these competitions. For that matter I have to wonder how many people don't realize you can compile while your game is running and see the effects without having to stop and start play. At least most of the time you can do this.

Kiwasi likes this.
  10. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I've switched over to AGK2 just because it is a better fit for me. I should have made sure I had some way already chosen to build levels before considering the jam. And at least got my head back into 2D in it more. Although sometimes I honestly think 3D is easier for stuff like this so it might have been good to have gone that route as well.

Yep you are right about the simpler graphics. You won't find many submissions at all in a 1 hour jam that are beyond the very basics. Just not enough time for people to make stuff and a lot of people are not using one of the big 3 game engines that have asset stores. I suppose that is another reason why I view the whole graphics thing differently than many people here too. I am used to seeing game programmers working and putting out games with very simple graphics in other languages and frameworks.

From what I have seen of shaders so far they seem pretty straight forward. But I have only played around doing the most basic of things. This is another example of why I switched. In Unity I hear people talking about shaders a lot and I have never seen where they are here, how to use them or anything. In a straightforward programming API I just write the shader in Notepad++ and save it to a file. Then in my program load it in assigned to a unique id and then can later use that id to assign to an object.

I just find this kind of approach much more straightforward. I mean it might be the same way in Unity I have no idea but because everything seems to always start / go through the Editor at some point it makes not as straightforward in my opinion. Just a personal preference.

Not in much of a game dev mood though. I might do some more work on the 3D Space Invaders tomorrow. Not sure. I have been dealing with a serious burn-out on game dev now for a while. I probably just need to truly stop it all period for at least a few months instead of continuing to dabble in it a bit each week.

11. Arowx

Arowx

OK Missed it!

How about I start now...

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

I generally probably won't bother with 1 hour jams. My timeframe to do something useful is at least 4 hours. I mean I tend to prefer 3d characters, and making a 3d character with basic animation loops is a few hours. Sprites are faster, but I'll probably to decide to make a one nice animated lava tile and waste most of the allocated budget.

Ludum dare has more comfortable timeframe of two days, where you can just waste 15 hours per day, and come up with something half decent. With 1 hour I don't see much point.

It is also possible to cheat in advance - meaning try couple of practice runs in advance, figure out the fastest way to work, and then when the time comes go with the most efficient algorithm you figured out.

It is not something I'd be interested with.

No offense to people who participated, of course.

GarBenjamin and DroidifyDevs like this.
  13. frosted

frosted

Totally unrelated - but when I first went up for greenlight - I posted at the same time as another guy. Talked to him a bit - he was working on "Hot Lava". I thought it looked kinda silly. The next day he got a post to the top of reddit's front page, picked up tens of thousands of yes votes, and started negotiations with publishers (picked up by Klei, maker of Dont Starve Together, etc).

Video here:

Perhaps the definitive "floor is lava" game :p

14. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

The trailer fooled me into thinking it would be an action fighting game at first, and I was like:

This was my 1st game jam, and you're right, 1 hour is insanely little. I first did the movement, then I got the floor and skybox, I got the floor to follow the player, I made the distance script and dying mechanic, and last I did the cube generation. By the time I was testing the cube generation I had 5 minutes, I was running into problems with List.Last(), but I fixed it just in time.

In the web player version, the distance text wasn't showing so I worked overtime to properly anchor the text to the canvas. I probably won't do 1 hour jams every week, but I'll definitely do other jams!

Buhlaine and GarBenjamin like this.
  15. Martin_H

Martin_H

That's kind of brilliant, I bet it will sell well.

Deleted User likes this.
  16. iamthwee

iamthwee

One hour to write a game phew. That's pretty impressive.

17. frosted

frosted

Yeah, I donno how you do that - all I would get done is "get coffee" and "check unity forums"...

Kiwasi likes this.
  18. iamthwee

iamthwee

@DroidifyDevs wow you did that game in just one hour, it's reminds me of a similar one your posted in feedback friday once?

19. iamthwee

iamthwee

It's possible to do some sorta 2d game, I guess. But I'm doubting a decent-ish game with sound fx and graphics is possible without cheating somewhat, could be using premade stuff from an earlier times.

It really depends on what you've already made before as to how good your end 1hour game would be.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  20. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Really, it's impressive for 1 hour? I never thought I was good at game development. The idea is similar to the one in Feedback Friday, only that the Feedback Friday one I probably spend 100 hours on and I ran out of content to put in it. Maybe if I think of something for it I'll be able to finish it.

Perhaps I'll screen record the next 1 hour jam I do as people seem to like the game more than I thought.

Now I'm considering starting a 30 hour game jam... and actually publish something for once.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  21. neginfinity

neginfinity

I knew someone who had to do a test to qualify for programming position:
    1. Write an arcade game clone
    2. In four hours.
    3. From scratch.
    4. In C++.
    5. Using framework they provided.
    6. Until the test starts, you don't know what the framework looks like, or what game you're going to clone.
    If I remember correctly, the framework provided a pixel buffer and a way to detect key presses. No hardware acceleration whatsoever, and no helper functions.

Ryiah and GarBenjamin like this.
  22. iamthwee

iamthwee

Sounds like a pretty dumb test. @neginfinity so could you create a 2D game in an hour, throws down gauntlet? ;)

And if you could how much would it lack from your usual 2 day compos?

23. Arowx

Arowx

https://arowx.itch.io/lava-cave

A little over 4 hours, give or take a blue screen of death (overheated PC) and a tea break.

Hint: Don't try to bake your lighting, you won't have time!

24. iamthwee

iamthwee

3 hrs overdue buddy. How far would you have got inside an hour?

25. Arowx

Arowx

Didn't record the time just has fun making it. Half the time went on the basic 3d models. 30 mins in just about had the logs and rocks moving but debugging the physics and basic controls can take time. Once I realised I was well over the one hour I added the perspiration and selfie-camera, tweaked the minis face, added game won/over screens scores and 100 minis system and some basic sound effects.

Not sure I could do it from scratch in 60 mins even if I started again. I can see why people go with basic 2d games.

iamthwee likes this.
  26. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Hehe I just held space to see what happens if I kill most of the minions and I still won the game :p

I'm kinda with @iamthwee ,if you did the models as simple Unity shapes and cooled your PC, you could probably could have shaved an hour or 2 off. How did you do the gradually growing lava on the side of the minions? Did you just slowly move a model forward and/or scale it larger? How did you move the pieces on the lava? I think they're using Rigidbody.MovePosition; definitely not AddForce...

27. Arowx

Arowx

Primitives would have shaved about 30 minutes off modelling time but added time in Unity trying to get the cubes to look like a lava cave.
    Mini could just have been an orange capsule though, would not have looked as good in the selfie camera thought.

Lava Logs -> AddForce and lots of time tweaking the physics/materials.
    Lava Wave -> Moving model (Translate).

Actually the tricky part is getting your next Mini to spawn somewhere safe! ;)

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  28. iamthwee

iamthwee

Wow I thought you just had the logs moving forward, I suppose you might run into issues when they collide.

So you got some sorta conveyor belt mechanic on a curved surface?

29. iamthwee

iamthwee

I think that's a really great start, definitely something worth finishing IMO, it reminds me of a spin off on 'Thomas was alone.'

30. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

But how did you get the logs to move with AddForce, yet they don't seem to be changing speed? Normally they'd slow down due to drag or speed up due to no drag; at least that's how it's always worked for me.

Overall after looking at the project again I really like the art style. All I did was use 2 primitives (1 sphere and cubes) and 2 assets (skybox and floor), while you actually took the time to make your own shapes. Definitely not a 1 hour project, but it's very good regardless of timing.

31. neginfinity

neginfinity

I think it is a fairly clever test, actually. It tests if the programmer has default expected skill level suitable for gamedev. API knowledge + ability to quickly figure out how to work with a new tech + general purpose programming skills, etc.

Most likely. I'm not doing that while I have an unfinished project, though.

It would lack 3d animated characters nice looking environment and instead would be either some sort of abstract wireframey shooter or some sort of snake clone.

32. Arowx

Arowx

If they are in contact with a collider in this case the level mesh then the Physics material settings effect the friction. Also the AddForce has a ForceMode setting that allows the force to be applied in different ways. Like I said I spent quite a bit of time tweaking the physics.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  33. Arowx

Arowx

Busy working on something else but if anyone want's to see how I made Lava Cave the Unity package is on the itch.io page. Please don't just clone it, improve it with your own or purchased assets and have fun.

https://arowx.itch.io/lava-cave

34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hmm... it never occurred to me just keep going and spend maybe 1.5 hours instead of 1. lol ;)

Anyway, great job @Arowx it looks and plays very good. Ha ha. It's funny how you Unity folks even for a 1 hour game jam make things with a lot of emphasis on the visuals. I mean compared to most of the submissions.

The idea I think is just to get to where you can knock out a full playable prototype in 1 hour and maybe one of these will be something that is worth building on. At least that is what I get from it. Well that and of course pushing yourself testing focus and skills including ability to simplify to just the core mechanic.

I suppose it might be a way to find the next Flappy Bird.

35. Arowx

Arowx

I think I would need to build up a micro component framework to really hit the 1 hour timeframe.

A basic game framework, UI, light reusable components that do simple often used game tasks.

I wonder what people will be able to do with Unity in VR in 60 minutes, with a framework or visual scripting system and some in VR modelling tools.

GarBenjamin and iamthwee like this.
  36. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's exactly what I'm working on. Well one of the 3 projects I'm dabbling in. Making a jam template that provides a foundation. So far have recreated the image to map system I made in Unity for my 3D wolf3d experiment. Extended it to work with colors only because for a 1 hour jam I expect to use only rectangles and circles. I mean not even use sprites but literally the DrawBox, DrawCircle type of stuff.

Slow going because I work a bit here and there on the 3D space invaders inspired game, learning shader programming and creating this jam template. Probably work on the Invaders game a bit next dev session.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was thinking about doing a super quick 1hr / 2hr game for funzies, what are the rules exactly? Can you use any asset store stuff like skyboxes?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  38. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

For OneHourGameJam.com:

"You are free to use premade assets but it is recommended that you make at least one game from scratch. Some assets are provided on the assets page.". I used a Skybox and lava floor textures for mine so I'm pretty sure it's OK.

Deleted User likes this.
  39. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

If you want to do a "real" jam... the One Hour Game Jam this thread is about happens every Saturday so just a few more days to wait.

Alternately (and I am thinking about doing this just to test my jam template and identify weaknesses) you can always just go to the site and look at the previous jams set a timer and go to it. Like start at the last one Floor is Lava or one before that. Just don't cherry pick the one you want because a big part of the jam experience is dealing with whatever they come up with. And you find that out like literally the second the jam begins in this case at least.

That's why I am thinking I'll work backward down that list if or just take the one at top depending on when I am ready to do it again.

Deleted User likes this.
  40. neginfinity

neginfinity

Yup. That's the idea. However, if you spend two months preparing a perfect framework for 1 hour competition, then I"m not sure what's the point of competition.

IMO: Less then when they use traditional methods.

Martin_H likes this.
  41. Arowx

Arowx

I was thinking of mining my older games for code or at least ideas for micro components.

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

I ended up doing a "test jam", I agree with @neginfinity an hour just isn't enough.. This ended up taking me four hours, as I've never taken part in a game jam I'm not sure if that's considered a "good time" for what I did.. I might just for fun spend another couple of hours on it, improve the AI and have a big robotic boss for the end.

It was a valuable experience though, as much as it might sound odd I've never actually made a small game and / or done anything in space.. Just plenty of big prototypes, it was fun and some things took longer than I expected and had to reign it in (especially as in screenshot 3 I started drifting into a ship perspective galaxy explorer LOL!).. I do have an issue with perfectionism, I would of spent a week on the ship alone given the option so that's something to take out of this.

Besides from learning about limits, I was looking at the viability of adding mini games to my major game.. Looks like it is very much possible, although I'll leave it until last.

Screen1.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    Screen3.jpg

43. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@ShadowK That looks freakin awesome man! Are you saying you actually made a complete game out of this in 4 hours including making all of these graphics from scratch?! :eek:

I'd say you have to be the fastest developer of them all. I mean seriously there are many 3 to 4 man teams who participate in a 48-hour (Figure 32 hours of work-time) Ludum Dare weekend combo that wouldn't be able to do this. Of course, it all depends on exactly what is in the game. But I think most people would spend at least a weekend on this. 4 hours is insanely fast.

Another way of looking at it is I've always been a fast developer (comparatively speaking) and I just spent another 1 hour and 20 minutes tonight working on my 3D Space Invaders inspired game. Which is really for me to learn the 3D api.
    Anyway, this makes a total of 4 and 1/2 hours spent on this so far...

And that is my play list you can flip ahead and you will be at video #1 of 7. The videos show the progress made in each of the 7 dev sessions.

Granted I am not in a real hurry and am continually digging in the api documentation or at least hitting . (dot) and scrolling up and down through the method names looking for this and that. But still I think this is pretty fast work. To do what you did in basically the same amount of time... ... .... we need one of those images of a frosty mug of beer on here. You deserve one. :)

Show a video of it in action so we can see it!

An heck yeah I really think you will find a lot of value in making small games. For one thing they are a fantastic sandbox to try out ideas. Whether it is a graphics technique or a game mechanic or whatever. Plus you get things done this way because like you said you place a constraint in the form of time or game scope and that means you cannot spend 1 week on 1 model.

I hope you continue with it and we see a whole line of mini games. Although maybe like a 1-week game or even better a 1-month game. Hell you could probably build a single town rpg in a month if you don't spend 1 day on each tree and so forth. lol :D

Also I do agree with you and @neginfinity that 1-hour is just too damn short. BUT... it has inspired me to work on tools and further streamline patterns and build more of a template to make it possible to do something.

I'll do one of those Saturday 1-hour game jams at some point this year. It will be a lot better going because I will know the api better and have some better tools and a template in place. Trying to do the jam while still learning the api, the architecture and how different things interact, which takes precedence and so forth is not good.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Deleted User and frosted like this.
  44. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Oh hey speaking of graphics and the time it can take up... I think the next batch of games coming out is kicking it up to the next level for the realistic graphics you guys like... @ShadowK and @Billy4184

I think continuing to chase the best graphics you guys have seen is only going to become more and more difficult and time consuming and basically kill every game before it even has a chance. Going after the realism I mean. If you two were on a team and had another 10 to 15 people with you it would be different. But it will get to the point eventually where even making Space Invaders, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, etc striving to hit the current gen graphics level will take 6 months to a year or even more for a solo dev.

45. Billy4184

Billy4184

Not if everything else moves along with it. I think the proportional difference in output capability will probably remain fairly constant, unless studios start doubling their employees and spending twice the money.

Star Citizen is a bit of an experiment and it's not at all clear how good an idea it was for CIG to open so many studios/hire so many employees. If I had to guess they are probably well below everybody else in efficiency. Kickstarter has funded this experiment so far but I doubt anyone will be keen to follow suit.

Not to derail but I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics from most of the upcoming games of 17/18, I don't think there have been any advancements in the wow factor and quite possibly the push for bigger worlds has even forced a bit of a retreat. E.g. the trailer for the new assassin's creed game.

Anyway I've never done a 1 hour game jam, it would take at least that long for me to settle on a premise. Fastest I've made a game was in about six hours, a fully functional snake game for a freelance job, sans art.

Martin_H and GarBenjamin like this.
  46. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You're nuts. :D Disappointed with the graphics. lol

They all look damn good I think. And God of War, Star Wars BF2, Middle Earth, RDR2 and Gran Turismo (INSANE!!) look fantastic. Much better than most games. Heck even Tarkov held up quite well in that video. That's saying something. Imagine how good it would look in a video with 14 other Unity games. Probably stand out a lot.

Deleted User and Martin_H like this.
  47. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'm only disappointed because I'm expecting something new and mindblowing. They obviously look great, not saying they look bad at all! Although I was a bit iffy about the assassin's creed graphics it actually looks like a step back, though it's early days yet.

Basically, I think battlefront and especially battlefield 1 set the bar very high and I was sort of hoping to see something even better.

48. Martin_H

Martin_H

Sure. I think what he means is that there isn't much of a step up from what's available on the market right now:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/460930/Tom_Clancys_Ghost_Recon_Wildlands/
    And E3 used to be where they show off jawdropping trailers of games using new tech to really push what's possible (and later downgrade their game's graphics on all plattforms, just to make it run on consoles... but that's another story), it's not been that impressive this year.

And I sincerely hope that this is where the derail ends, because imho we've long filled our quota for AAA graphics threads this quater of the year.

@ShadowK Looks good, would like to see it in motion!
    From you as someone who usually works on much bigger scope, I would like to hear where you feel are the advantages of the timelimit-jam format. I never tried it, and I doubt I could get anything done in such a short amount of time, because just deciding what I wanna do would take me longer than that. But maybe I'm missing something. For digital painters the "speedpainting" is a well established concept and it is very obvious to me why it is useful. With 1-hour gamejams I have yet to really grasp the benefit. Maybe you with your art knowledge can explain it in a way that I "get".

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

@GarBenjamin

Cool, so it might not be me that's slow.. I'm so used to working on large games where a month will pass and you'll see little to next to no progress, I was beginning to think it was me :D.. I used a Skybox, two particles (after burner and explosions) and a laser sound effect from the asset store.. Apart from that yeah, all done in four hours.

Can't really say it's that interesting though (compared to a game like R-type), sure at points you might sweat because you can get jarred in and you'll loose a life if you collide. Give me another 4 hours ish? I'll make it far more interesting and I'll put the game up as a web player if anyone's interested.. Actually wouldn't mind some feedback anyway, I'm a little concerned about posting a video as it is an extremely "flashy" game.. If you suffer from epilepsy stay a million miles away..

@Martin_H

Well for me at least it makes you focus on every aspect of a game as opposed to working on a larger project where you'll spend a vast amount of time on a specific thing.. I won't deny I'm rusty in a lot of areas that should be straight forward for me at this point. So it's nice to break out and strengthen every part of your development process, it will help when you get to another portion of a larger game where usually you'd be sat there feeling somewhat confused.

Also it gets you out of your comfort zone, trying to tackle new ways of doing things.. A lot of my games revolve around newtonian physics and realistic actions, this was completely different to anything I've ever done.

50. Arowx

Arowx

OK I'm going to try again this week!

GarBenjamin likes this.