Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Cheat Toolkit: stop cheaters easily!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by codestage, Aug 20, 2013.

1. codestage

codestage

Dear Unity3D developers, I'm glad to share with you my first Asset Store contribution: Anti-Cheat Toolkit (ACTk)!
    ACTk will save you a lot of development effort hours and bring handcrafted years of anti-cheat expertise and experience.

Serves both as an easy to use out-of-the-box solution and as a powerful tool in a professional hand which can be flexible enough to complement any other anti-cheat measures you implement.

Regular price: $80
    Or get in a bundle for a cheaper price!

Common features

Protects variables in memory.
    Protects and extends Player Prefs and binary files.
    Generates build code signature for tampering checks.
    Detects or allows detecting:
    • non Play Store installations on Android
    • speedhacks and wallhacks
    • time cheating
    • managed assemblies injections
    Has Obscured Prefs / Player Prefs editor.

Read further to find out more about each feature.

Obscured Types tutorial

Keeps your sensitive variables away from all memory scanners and searchers.
    All basic and few Unity-specific types are covered.
    Detects cheating attempts.

Obscured Prefs & Obscured File

Protects Player Prefs and binary files from common cheating threats:
    • identify and read sensitive data (encryption)
    • tamper sensitive data (genuine check)
    • share cheated files \ saves with more cheaters (device or user ID lock)

Obscured Prefs highlights:
    • automatic data migration
    • automatic crypto keys management
    • simple generic API and more data types comparing to vanilla Player Prefs
    • Player Prefs and Obscured Prefs editor window
    Obscured Prefs tutorial

Obscured File & Obscured File Prefs highlights:
    • background threads-friendly (to avoid IO hiccups)
    • simple and easy to use Player Prefs-alike API wrapper
    Obscured File & Obscured File Prefs tutorial

Code Hash Generator

Generates a code hash signature (both in Editor and Runtime) to compare against the current hash and make sure compiled code was not altered.
    Provides hashes for both whole build and separate files in build (helpful for aab Android App Bundles).
    Uses background threads to calculate hashes, keeping CPU footprint low.
    For Windows Standalone and Android only so far.

Android App Installation Source Validator

Makes you aware from what source your game was installed, be it Google Play, Galaxy Store, manual installation via Package Installer or something else.

Speed Hack Detector tutorial

Makes you aware of nasty cheaters trying to slow down or speed up your game.
    Correctly reacts to the time glitches.
    Allows to resist speed hacks with SpeedHackProofTime class.

Time Cheating Detector

Uses Internet connection to get reliable time.
    Reacts to both incorrect system time and actual cheating during or between sessions, allowing you to catch people who change time to speedup long-term processes (like building process, energy restore, etc).
    Works with weak internet connection.

WallHack Detector tutorial

Covers 3 common wall hack types:
    • shoot through the walls
    • walk through the walls
    • look through the walls
    Uses generic sandbox approach allowing to detect unknown cheats.

Injection Detector tutorial

Reacts on foreign managed Mono assemblies both injected at runtime or into the build on PC and Android.

Third-party plugins

• actions for Opsive's Behavior Designer
    • actions for PlayMaker (except obscured types due to PM limitations)
    • works great with Simple IAP System to process & validate IAPs online with Receipt Validation service
    • works great with Cross-Platform Native Plugins to save into the cloud, setup leaderboards and more!
    • used in Lovatto Studio MFPS Anti-Cheat And Reporting addon
    • used in Stan’s Android Native asset

Complement your setup to resist reverse-engineering threat:
    • Obfuscate names with Obfuscator
    • Protect IL2CPP build with Mfuscator

Compatibility

Supports Unity 2019.4 LTS and newer.

Works on all actual platforms including IL2CPP builds with few limitations:
    • Windows Standalone and Android are supported by Code Hash Generator at this moment.
    • Injection Detector supports Mono builds only since IL2CPP can't have managed injections.

Documentation

API Reference
    • Readme.pdf User Manual (included in the package) with samples, additional details and helpful pro-tips

Overall highlights

Easy to start:
    • detailed User Manual with examples and tips
    • examples scene
    video tutorials

Easy to extend:
    • full API Reference
    full C# sources included!
    • explore, learn, extend and build fully customized anti-cheat solution for your games!

Support and updates since 2013

Skilled and motivated cheaters can break any protection, and thus it's not guaranteed your game will be 100% safe from all cheaters if you'll use this toolkit. Though, massive "casual" cheating can be eliminated for good.

Where to go from here

Like it? Hate it? Leave a review at the Asset Store to help others to make a good choice.

Need support, have any questions, suggestions or any other feedback?
    Here are options for you:
    P.S. No holy wars about cheating/hacking protection methods please :p

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    Pulov likes this.
  2. Demigiant

Demigiant

I already used ACT with my games, and I can only say it's awesome. Incredibly simple to implement, and very effective :)

codestage likes this.
  3. codestage

codestage

Thanks for your feedback, Daniele, as always! :)

4. Zeblote

Zeblote

Maybe upload an example project (the button one is enough) to test it?

5. codestage

codestage

6. codestage

codestage

Version 1.0.0.7 is sent to Asset Store team for review!

New in 1.0.0.7
    - Fixed error in ObscuredString (now it works in WebPlayer without errors).
    - Fixed error in ObscuredFloat (now it works in WebPlayer without errors).
    - ObscuredFloat is memory wiser now.
    - ObscuredFloat.SetNewCryptoKey() accepts int now (was long).
    - Added changelog :)

And I created a small page for ACT with changelog and some extra info: http://blog.codestage.ru/act/

7. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Sounds great,

But how does it work on mobile (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry)?

Thanks,

8. codestage

codestage

Hey, Crazy Robot!
    It should work on mobile same as on desktops - I'm trying to keep it platform independent! :)
    Some additional testing is still needed though (I tested it on Android mobile platform only so far, but it should be fine on iOS and all other mobile platforms as well).

9. codestage

codestage

1.0.0.8 is out!

New in 1.0.0.8
    - PlayerPrefsObscured now able to lock saved data to the current device. See PlayerPrefsObscured.lockToDevice field description in API docs.
    - Improved PlayerPrefsObscured stability and obscuration strength (use Get*Deprecated() methods to load data, saved with ACT 1.0.0.6 or earlier)
    - PlayerPrefsObscured now has own encryption key. Use PlayerPrefsObscured.SetNewCryptoKey() to change it from default value.
    - Created home page for ACT: http://blog.codestage.ru/act/

Asset Store guys can't overtake me :p

P.S.: Yey, demo video got 100 views on YouTube! :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  10. codestage

codestage

Latest 1.0.0.9 update was approved at Asset Store (finally)!
    It includes one tiny yet important fix:
    - Fixed data loss in PlayerPrefsObscured (use Get*Deprecated to read data saved with ACT 1.0.0.8 version)

11. PrisedRabbit

PrisedRabbit

What happened with ACT on the Asset Store? Where I can find this tool?

12. codestage

codestage

Hey, mrbroshkin, ACT was removed from Asset Store accidentally, I'm working on this issue, sorry for any inconvenience.
    Feel free to subscribe to this thread - I'll post here as ACT will be restored.

Thank you for your interest in ACT.

13. codestage

codestage

14. ASMach

ASMach

Hi Dmitriy,

Great project, but before I download it, I'd like to ask a question about iOS export compliance: if I integrate your plug-in into my app, will I have to get permission in order to export my app? You can find details here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...r-the-purpose-of-export-compliance-e-g-in-app

Thanks in advance, if I can get a good answer, I will be able to switch over from SecurePlayerPrefs and/or CryptoPlayerPrefs (I can't seem to find any information on whether or not either one complies with US cryptography export regulations).

MachCUBED

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  15. codestage

codestage

Hey, MachCUBED!

Current Anti-Cheat Toolkit version have simple and fastest possible symmetric encryption with key not exceeding 56 bits implemented under the hood.
    And this encryption is used to protect developer's intellectual property by hiding from hackers and cheaters sensitive information.
    These facts should claim exemption from the review accordingly to the information from page you linked to. Well, I think so, but not sure for 100%.

Anyway, I'm open for discussion and will be glad to fix any issues you may encounter with my plugin while using it (even after buying, *cough*).

BTW, I'll spoil a bit upcoming update - it will have additional hashing implemented (not encryption) to allow you "sign" your assemblies in Unity IDE (prob automatically, after Assemblies reloading) and check if assemblies are genuine at runtime just like you do with Application.genuine on iOS, but it will check assemblies only (if regular Application.genuine is not available) on desktops and all (I hope) mobile players (Flash Player and Web Player dismissed here, sorry), allowing you to react on cheaters, trying to alter your assemblies. It's WIP, so I'll post here more details about it as update will be ready for public.

Please, let me know if you have any further questions on my plugin, and thanks for your interest in ACT!

16. codestage

codestage

Anti-Cheat Toolkit 1.0.1.0 update is ready and was sent to the Asset Store team for review (and ready for download by any customer)!
    - Added Assemblies signing functionality * EXPERIMENTAL *
    - Fixed web player detection, now ObscuredFloat can be used in static conditions (thanks Andriy Pidvirnyy)

I'll quote here piece of the readme.pdf about new feature:

In addition I'd like to mention any additional precompiled assemblies used in your project will not be checked for integrity ATM, this is possible to add in future updates.

17. ASMach

ASMach

Thank you for your response Dmitriy. For further discussion, I have found Apple's own guide:

https://developer.apple.com/library...nect_Guide/8_AddingNewApps/AddingNewApps.html

The information is under "Authorizing for Export and Indicating Legal Issues" on the linked page and provides further details on Apple's export compliance. I am posting this because although your solution probably complies because it uses 56-bit symmetric encryption, you also said that you're not 100% sure of the requirements.

MachCUBED.

18. codestage

codestage

I see, thanks for your addition.
    I read about it a bit more and looks like all this crazy export stuff can be avoided using 7 byte or shorter keys for all Obscured variables to make encryption not satisfying for "symmetric encryption" as described in the a.1.a. of Category 5 Part 2 (of Bureau of Industry and Security Commerce Control List) thus not being threaten as "Information Security" in Note.4 a.1 of the Category 5 Part 2 document, thus allowing you to choose "Yes" for second question of the Apple's Export Compliance survey.
    Well, I think this is so, I have not enough lawyer skills to be 100% sure in this though.

I use keys <= 56 bit for all Obscured types except ObscuredInt (it has 64 bit key, I'll shorten it in future version) by default. But I provide APIs to change encryption keys from default values for all Obscured types: SetNewCryptoKey(newKey), so just make sure you're setting there short enough keys and you should be safe.

Actually I assume most users will use this API to change default encryption keys to increase their app security level a bit. Maybe I should add a kind of warning if default key is still not changed, I'll think about it.

PS: If someone wish to obtain CCATS, here is a short guide for obtaining CCATS for your APP:
    http://zetetic.net/blog/2009/8/3/mass-market-encryption-ccats-commodity-classification-for-ip.html

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  19. codestage

codestage

Latest 1.0.1.2 update is available at Asset Store!

- fixed .meta files handling
    - moved Anti-Cheat Toolkit/Options menu item to the Window/Anti-Cheat Toolkit/Options
    - moved plugin into CodeStage directory (to compact placing of any future plugins I'll release)
    - reduced ObscuredInt default key length
    - attempt to fix async assemblies reloading issue

- Added assemblies signing process duration estimation
    - Fixed issues with Anti-Cheat Toolkit .dll import in Unity 4.x

20. sonicviz

sonicviz

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  21. Zeblote

Zeblote

Wait, what possible use could this have

22. codestage

codestage

sonicviz
    Thanks for heads up!

Zeblote
    It allows you to add assemblies integrity checks in your app. So if someone will try to alter your assemblies (patch IL bytecode for example) to cheat something, you will be able to notice this and react accordingly, e.g. ban this guy in your game or change game behaviour to prevent his hiscore to be submitted, or whatever you like to do with him.

Think of it as of Application.genuine analogue, but it should work fine on all mobile and desktop platforms (except Web Player and Flash Player), where regular Application.genuine usually is not working.

23. Zeblote

Zeblote

But I could just patch that function (or it's usage) too, so what's the point

24. codestage

codestage

Well, you need to know it exists at all. When someone will patch assembly of some particular game first time there is high chance he will not know about this checks at all, so assemblies altering may be detected until all check will be found and patched, this gives you as developer chance to ban this guy for example.

Anyway, I'll quote here what I said earlier:

25. friuns3

friuns3

Hi, i don't use PlayerPrefs i save settings manually to file using BinaryWriter and upload to web server, is there way to encrypt byte[] array? or get and set encrypted data from PlayerPrefsObscured?

or if i use some .net encryption how do i hide encryption key from hacker?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  26. codestage

codestage

Hey, friuns3!
    Currently ACT has no APIs to encrypt and decrypt byte arrays, I'll add this to TODO, thanks for noticing this.
    You could use any of Obscured types to encrypt data you write to the byte array itself though.
    E.g. you can encrypt string, write it to the byte array, save, then load, read encrypted string, decrypt.

You can hide encryption key easily. If you have your web server - just send your key to the client on demand to avoid its storage in managed code.

27. friuns3

friuns3

Thanks! didn't noticed EncryptDecrypt function)

if send key from web server it can easily sniffed with HttpFox it also captures https. Is there way to prevent this?

28. codestage

codestage

Sure, but you could hide it using something simple, like Base64 + some custom tricks like string inversion, mixing, etc to hide your original key + send it with some other data, not alone if possible. This would be enough to hide it from mainstream cheaters \ hackers.
    And keep in mind main rule - if someone skilled will really wish to hack it - he will hack it, since all code and data placed in client is not secure anyway.

29. Qmaks2

Qmaks2

Привет, Дмитрий!
    Приобрел твой Анти чит, но в некоторых случаях он не помог. Описываю ситуацию. Для моей игры есть чит на скорострельность оружия.
    У меня есть переменная shootInterval, я ее защитил, но чит все равно остался работать. полез разбираться глубже.

и так у меня есть вот такой код в апдейте

Тут смысл, что если шут интервал уже прошел, то дальше внутри выстрел генерируется.

Мы видим что я сделал дебаг всех параметров, которые в этом if участвуют,и при активизации чита происходит странная вещь. Последний дебаг лог выводится false, то-есть в данном обращении основное условие ифа не выполняется, время для выстрела еще не подошло, но внутрь ифа мы все равно попадаем и таким образом получается выстрел в каждом апдейте!

Как такое может быть и как от такого защищаться?

30. codestage

codestage

Привет!
    Если все действительно так, как вы описали (мы попадаем внутрь if'а, но условие false), то вполне возможно, что правят саму сборку и меняют условие на противоположное. Проверьте, нет ли изменений в сборке. Кроме того, в ACT есть средства для обнаружения таких вторжений в сборку (см. описание класса IntegrityChecker). Если проблему так и не удастся решить - предлагаю свзяться по скайпу (dmitry.you) для более оперативного решения проблемы.

31. Qmaks2

Qmaks2

Весь чит представляет собой вот такйо скрипт для чит ингайна
    if ( checkbox_getState(sender)== 1 ) then
    stringListAddresses = AOBScan("FF 8B 47 4C D9 80 C4 00 00 00","*X*W-C")
    if (stringListAddresses==nil) then
    messageDialog("Не активировано!",1, 2)
    return end
    lenghtLines = stringlist_getCount(stringListAddresses)
    for i = 0, lenghtLines-1 do
    address = stringlist_getString(stringListAddresses, i)
    writeBytes(address, 0xFF, 0x8B, 0x47, 0xB4, 0xD9, 0x80, 0xC4, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00)
    showMessage("Скорострельность активирована! на пистолете не работает на других работает")
    return end

Я добавился тебе в скайп, чтобы более подробно все обсудить

32. Demigiant

Demigiant

Above this post, we can notice a new Anti-Cheat Toolkit feature in action: it now scrambles your forum posts so that they become undecipherable.

:D

Linus, Hagen and CliffracerX like this.
  33. codestage

codestage

34. friuns3

friuns3

Can't compile on windows phone 8 platform, can you fix please? :)

Error building Player: Exception: Error: type `System.Reflection.MethodBody` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Reflection.MethodBody` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Reflection.MethodBody` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Cryptography.MD5` doesn't exist in target framework.
    Error: type `System.Security.Cryptography.MD5` doesn't exist in target framework.

35. codestage

codestage

Hey, friuns3! Thanks for heads up. I'll look into this issue. Looks like Windows 8 doesn't supports reflection (parts of it), so IntegrityChecker won't be available there =(
    I'll see what can I do here to allow compilation at all.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  36. ecc83

ecc83

Hi, I downloaded and imported ACT into my iOS/Android project. I'm not actually using any of the classes, but when I run my project I get the following output in Xcode:

get_deviceUniqueIdentifier can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.

Best
    ecc

37. codestage

codestage

ecc83, thanks for reporting this. I'll look into this issue as well.

38. ecc83

ecc83

Given the reference to loading in the output, this might be relevant:

I use a simple "loading" scene, with a single behaviour that calls Application.LoadLevelASync

39. codestage

codestage

Thanks for addition, it may help with testing of fix I'll implement.

40. ecc83

ecc83

Hi, any update on this?

41. codestage

codestage

Hey, I'm working on next update in small iterations right now. I hope it will be ready this or next week.

42. Aurigan

Aurigan

Just getting this installed in my game - could you please add inc/decrement operators? ++ -- currently cause compile issues in Unity 4.3. Thanks!

43. codestage

codestage

Hey, Aurigan!
    Thanks for heads up! I'm already aware about inc/dec operators, this is in my todo for nearest update!

44. Aurigan

Aurigan

Sorry to report that this doesn't appear to work at all for me. I'm declaring a var as :

public ObscuredInt hackMe = 123456;

Then using this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sbtools.gamehack&hl=en to modify it. (this needs root permission). The hacking app both finds the var immediately and is able to update it. For anyone else testing Android memory hacking I also tried GameGuardian which worked only some of the time.

45. codestage

codestage

Thanks for reporting this! I'll look into it ASAP. Actually I'm working hard on new huge update right now and testing Obscured* classes on Android is one of my nearest steps in TODO. I'll keep you updated on my investigation.

46. codestage

codestage

Well, first quick tests show it's fine, ind ObscuredInt is safe. At least, GameCIH 3.0 can't find it in my test scene I provide with plugin.
    Could you please send me your apk, where you can cheat ObscuredInt?
    And could you please try to cheat ObscuredInt values in the test scene you got with plugin?

Thanks!

47. codestage

codestage

Now I'm absolutely sure ObscuredInt can't be found using any memory searchers on Andoid (as on any other platforms). I tried few other tools and even tool you used, using both deep and multiple search, with and without de-encryption - nothing found.
    I tested it on very simple script:

Code (csharp):
    1. using CodeStage.AntiCheat.ObscuredTypes;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public ObscuredInt hackMe = 12345;
    8.     void OnGUI()
    9.     {
    10.         if (GUILayout.Button("Change number randomly"))
    11.         {
    12.             hackMe = Random.Range(100, 10000);
    13.         }
    15.         if (GUILayout.Button("Change number to 12345"))
    16.         {
    17.             hackMe = 12345;
    18.         }
    20.         GUILayout.Label("Hack me: ");
    21.         GUILayout.Label(hackMe.ToString());
    22.     }
    23. }
    Please, make sure you used ObscuredInt, and not regular int instead.
    I'll be glad to know steps to reproduce your results though, looks like it's a bug or misunderstood here %)

48. Aurigan

Aurigan

thanks for checking - I ran the test scene (everything was working just fine) then switched back to my game test and ... the anti-hack started working.

Is it possible that something in the test scene helped? I did see this:

ObscuredInt.SetNewCryptoKey(401001001);

In the test so tried deleting my app/reinstalling on the off-chance this was getting stored and the default key was known to the cheating app. Everything still worked as expected after the delete/reinstall though. Starting to look like might have to chalk this up to user error somehow (doh!)

49. codestage

codestage

Thanks for confirming it works for you! Actually SetNewCryptoKey is optional method, you can ignore it at all and encryption still will work out-of-the-box.
    I'm not sure if something in test scene could help here, it looks really weird!

Please, let me know if you'll encounter this issue once again (and repeat steps are welcome). Thanks!

P.S. upcoming ACT update is going to be huge, stay tuned!

50. codestage

codestage

Yey, next update went to the Asset Store team for review!
    All customers can already download it. If you have no link - send me invoice and I'll send you link back.
    Most common in this update:
    - plugin now sells with full sources! No dlls, only pure sources and full control from your side (obfuscate, modify, do whatever you need)
    - Flash Exporter support is back! Some features are not available there though, read full changes list for details
    - lot of bugs fixed and some feature requests are implemented (not all, some of them will be done in next update)

Here is a full changes list
    - no more dlls, plugin now comes with full source code included!
    - Yey, Flash Player exporter support is back! :D IntegrityChecker, ObscuredDouble and PlayerPrefsObscured.lockToDevice are not supported there though.
    - added increment and decrement operators support to the numeric obscured types (thanks Yuri Saveliev)
    - added ObscuredDouble! Not supported in FlashPlayer (use ObscuredFloat instead)! (thanks Andriy Pidvirnyy)
    - added correct analogues of toString() methods to some of the Obscured types
    - added PlayerPrefsObscured.ForceLockToDeviceInit() method to call device ID obtanation (noticably slow at first call) process at desirable time (at splash screen time for example)
    - added initial support for Windows Store (Metro) Apps (needs testing)
    - added initial support for Windows Phone 8 (needs testing, thanks friuns3)

- PlayerPrefsObscured.lockToDevice field is now property, so please use PlayerPrefsObscured.LockToDevice instead. Sorry for inconvenience.
    - removed unsafe code in ObscuredFloat
    - fixed possible placement in memory not obscured float while using ObscuredFloat, oops :p
    - fixed possible data loss when using values equal to the crypto keys
    - attempt to fix "get_deviceUniqueIdentifier can only be called from the main thread" error (thanks ecc83)
    - fixed issue with different line endings on different platforms in IntegrityChecker causing it to think assemblies are not valid
    - fixed incorrect line breaks in the xml docs
    - assemblies signing now can't be enabled on known unsupported platforms
    - assemblies signing will be disabled after switching to the known unsupported platform
    - assemblies signing will be disabled if Stripping Level in Player Settings is not set to "Disabled"
    - changed PlayerPrefsObscured default encryption key. Use SetNewCryptoKey(e806f69e7aea3ee30fe27a6abfae967f) to read any data saved in previous ACT version with default key.
    - docs were fixed a bit
    - removed obsolete methods in PlayerPrefsObscured
    - minor fixes

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013