Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Another View of Documentation

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by JASailor, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JASailor

JASailor

I have been in IT for over 30 years, but not as a technician. I have decided to learn Unity and its related things as a hobby. I have had success going through things like the TANKS tutorial, bought a few books and spent a lot of hours on YouTube. I built a few experiments and learned quite a bit but it often seems that its by trial and error. I am a bit frustrated in that I can't find a cross reference of generic things I may want to do in a game and the numerous options there are do them. For example: If I don't want a character to run into something I can certainly find a example in a tutorial/book after searching through many of them. Unfortunately, you only are told one way of doing it that fits the example they are working on and there is no explanation why it was selected. The other numerous options and parameters available in each component remains unexplained. The Unity manual is a good list of things and their effects, but doesn't say which ones are typically used for what situation. I also found UScript the same way. The options on the left are organized well, with good explanation of what each does, but there are no reasons given for which to choose.

Are there any sources of this kind of information?

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Hi JASailor...

Thanks for getting in touch. I can understand the frustration you have. There aren't any non-Learn tutorials. :-( Posting questions here and/or on Answers can probably give you insight and help. I know this isn't what you want to hear. There are loads of tutorials on youtube, but it's likely that these don't provide the flexibility you want. (You've done this already.) Maybe some users will chip in with some ideas?

Graham

3. Baste

Baste

We've got a Discord channel (see my sig) named Unofficial Unity Tech Support. We answer questions as best we can. There's also other communities out there that are either Unity-specific or has Unity-specific sub-channels. So either there or just post it under the scripting section.

@JA Sailor, the problem with your question is that it's very broad. There's very many ways to move around, and they have different ways of preventing you from walking into walls. If you're using physics-based movement, it has to do with collider and rigidbody setups. But if you're working with say a navmesh solution (pathfinding), it's about defining the ground under your wall as not walkable when you create the mesh.

Or you might be moving through a grid that's pure code, and your algorithms have a problem.

So if you make a post in Scripting, and say how you want to move, somebody probably has a good idea of how you don't walk through walls doing that.

4. iileychen

iileychen

Unity is doing good works in developing community, very kindly for developers, i love asset store, quick response for bug reports, etc. Thank you all.

Same time, I'm thinking about the Unity API documents while developing my new game.

There is example scripts for most important API, with detailed explanation. But, most time, I will stuck with a function with short explanation, too hard to know the meaning.

We will spend a huge time to do testing to ensure the little function will works like what we think of it.

I remember some project's documents has comment feature, If some developers has done some research on a API, would like to share the result, others can discuss, just like a forum or wiki.

If there is it, I would like to share my researches, examinations.