Search Unity

[Annoying bug] Editor crashing with "Increase kMaxCallback."

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by screenname_taken, Aug 11, 2017.

1. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

upload_2017-8-11_2-2-42.png

So guys. Are you gonna fix this or not?
    Cause it's really frustrating to have the editor crash the moment you press play or simply give focus back to the editor and not be hitting CTRL-S like a mad man.
    It's really infuriating. And yes, i have submitted a bug, 2-3 weeks ago.

2. greg-harding

greg-harding

3. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Yes, i was informed about it, but i was hoping such a bug would get a hotfix or make it into a patch.
    It's easy to lose progress because of it.

4. madcowie

madcowie

Yeah happened to me twice today. Lost about 30 minutes work each time as Im not use to saving that often as Unity 5.4.1 was solid. Hope a fix comes soon.

5. EnriquePage91

EnriquePage91

I updated Unity a few weeks ago - at the current moment - i still regret it...

I get this crash like 6 times everyday, when pressing play or focusing back on editor.

When are we getting a fix? Hope it comes soon.

6. TebogoWesi

TebogoWesi

Am also regretting upgrading, this crash happens two or tree times a day, it just happened right row. . .on top of that the work offline button is giving me hell, It doesn't want to work without an internet connection. . .I expected a lot from unity 2017.1, they should have just called it unity 5.7

7. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

It's one thing to put new stuff in, but a whole different thing when you manage to brake important stuff that were working as they should in the magnificent way of "wham, you didn't need that progress, did you?"

8. rrahim

rrahim

I've had this issue a total of 6 times yesterday...
    :(

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi. Can you tell me what versions you are using that have the crash?
    Please share any editor and crash dumps.
    I am currently investigating the issue however it is proving hard to reproduce.

Are you all using collab?

10. rrahim

rrahim

Hi Karl,
    I've recently upgraded to 2017.1.0f3 from 5.6. I've never had the issue until upgrading to 2017.
    The current project does not use collab.

I've had the issue up to 6 times on one day, and only once yesterday so it seems fairly random.
    If it does happen today, I'll update you with my observations.
    Thanks.

11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. My assumption is there is some component internally registering for events but never unregistering. I just need to catch what it is doing it. I noticed collab is using the system and had errors in our bug report editor log but looks like that was a red herring :(
    So any information that can be provided will help. Are you entering/exiting playmode a lot? Switching build platform?

12. greg-harding

greg-harding

Using Unity 2017.1.0f3 OSX and Win 10 64bit (with VSCode on OSX and Visual Studio 2015 on Win). The kMax crash is happening on both versions about a dozen times a day and I'm not editing the same projects on both machines. Not using collab, not switching build targets. The Unity bug reporter does not automatically appear and I haven't seen any crash dumps or anything useful in the Editor.log.

It seems to happen randomly, sometimes occurring when returning from code editing and compiling, then playing, other times just when clicking play during normal editing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    karl_jones likes this.
  13. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Hi, well, i've had the issue since v2017, but the original bug says that is from earlier than that.
    I am using collaborate and do use it quite a lot i think.
    I'm also using VS community 2017 if that would make any difference.
    I do think that it happens more often when i'm tweaking a scene and going in and out of Play mode.
    But it also happens when i simply give focus to the editor. I may be in VS writing some code, or in a browser window checking things. And when i go back to the editor, it may just go puff!

karl_jones likes this.
  14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ok I managed to recreate the issue by entering and exiting playmode 64 times :eek:
    The issue is that every time we enter playmode we registered for an event but never unregistered. This is actually fixed in our latest version(2017.3). Im backporting the fix to 2017.1 now and ill let you know the patch when its available. Id appreciate it if you could feedback on how it goes when available as it's possible that this is an entirely different issue as I get a different callstack from the bug report when it crashes.

hippocoder, Tryz and GilesDMiddleton like this.
  15. rrahim

rrahim

I just had this crash 2 times for today. So far it's been after doing some scripting in VS community 2017, then switching back and upon pressing play.

Awesome, will test as soon as its available.

karl_jones likes this.
  16. organdrew

organdrew

This happened to me once yesterday, lost 30 minutes of work. Happened to me again today and lost 3 hours of work. Thank goodness the scripts I was working on themselves saved, that was most of the headache I progressed through. This seems to happen when I click "Play" to see the effects real-time. This is a random bug which is very spontaneous and infuriating that needs to get fixed ASAP. The only protection is to save after every little change.

17. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@karl_jones It just crashed, I didn't press play, i was going back and forth Editor <-> VS Community 2017 as i was making code changes and exposing public stuff, and hiding others with private.

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ok can you share any editor logs or crash dumps you may have? It's still possible that it's the same issue, I'm not sure of all the instances that this event was subscribed too so it may not just be on entering play mode. I was monitoring all the events and noticed that doing that did gradually increase the subscriber count. I spent most of the time using 2017.3 and could not get a crash but 2017.1 had that one instance.

19. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Editor log looks normal. Couldn't find a crash log. Editor just goes away with after that message.

20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ok thanks. Well the error message certainly needs improving!

21. greg-harding

greg-harding

Seems fine. I've been inlining my own replacement of harsh language for it for a few weeks :)

(Just pm'd you a crash report and Editor log too. My original bug report was closed as a duplicate.)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  22. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

Hows the fix going? This error has been happening to me all morning and it's frustrating as hell. What's going on?

23. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The fix is on its way to the next patch, just waiting on final approval. Im also discussing replacing this limitation on callbacks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  24. GilesDMiddleton

GilesDMiddleton

64 isn't that many really. I'd expect thousands of those during a day.
    Do you guys have suites of automated UI and unit tests for unity continually running? Seeing what tools/devops you guys use in development of unity It make for an interesting blog post.

25. Frivoloustwist

Frivoloustwist

Thank you.

26. Hafazeh

Hafazeh

just want to add to this, and say thank you for working on a fix, i wish i could send logs, but they seem to not be getting created when the crash happens for me. but as far as i can tell it's equal to what others are exp here. Make changes in VS 2017, return, and on pressing play.... death.... and lost work.

thank you!

27. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi. A fix should be in 2017.1.1p1. ETA friday
    Please let me know if this fixes your issues or not.

28. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

That's great news :)

29. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'll be hitting that refresh button like crazy on Friday :p

karl_jones likes this.
  30. TheJimz

TheJimz

This bug is reported to occur way back with Unity 5.5. I hope you will patch the non 2017 versions as well. The issuetracker bug itself reports found in 5.6.0b5.

31. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Are you sure? This issue is reported to have come in during 5.6, there are no reports of 5.5. The fix has been back ported up to 5.6.

32. TheJimz

TheJimz

Pardon, I couldn't say officially. I am basing it on comments found in the issue tracker thread.

---

Continuously happening to me on 5.5.0f3. I don't even have the program open for that long, sometimes <30 mins

This happened to me in version 5.5.2f1. Unity left open for at least a day or two without closing (computer on sleep overnight). Received this message after 8ish hours of use on the last day).

Just happened to me on 5.50f3 on Windows. Unity left open overnight, then crashed after 45mins of use. After updating a CS file in VSCode, crashed when returning to Unity.

33. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ok its proving to be a difficult bug to reproduce. I have a further fix in the works which removes the kMaxCallback limitation so can backport that to 5.5 when its ready.

34. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

*raises hand*
    Is the K in kMaxCallback for Karl? I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely asking.

gg_tk likes this.
  35. TheJimz

TheJimz

It's (usually) a programming convention that specifies that variable as a constant.

karl_jones likes this.
  36. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes its a constant. This was created way before my time, im just fixing the bug :D

37. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Dang it. It would be awesome :p
    I'm usually appending const to a variable.

karl_jones likes this.
  38. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

The fix for this is not in today's patch, is it? :D
    Can't find any mention of bug case 873467.

MaxPirat likes this.
  39. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It's in 2017.1.1p1. Its next week's patch, I didn't realise there was another 2017.1 patch before it. I missed the cut off.

40. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

The 2017.1.0.p5 actually broke the lighting in the editor window in linear mode. for me anyway :(

41. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you file a bug report please.

42. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

43. the_mr_matt

the_mr_matt

To get a patch do I have to download a whole new editor or is it a small download?

44. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

It's a whole install. The updates are not incremental as to make sure that everything needed is downloaded.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases
    So basically you can download a patch release without having any previous install.
    The difference is that the "full" or "final" release is supposed to be tested and true that works as it should. (never mind the bugs that the patches are supposed to fix :D)

45. MaxPirat

MaxPirat

It's insane how much work I lost in the last week due to this bug. Can't wait for the patch.

46. TabuuForteAkugun

TabuuForteAkugun

I just came here after getting this error too, looking for news of a fix.

Glad to see it's being worked on, thankfully I don't lose work when it happens. :p

47. GilesDMiddleton

GilesDMiddleton

I wish i'd seen that before downloading gigabytes lol.
    At least I can confirm the bug is still present in the p5

karl_jones likes this.
  48. Hafazeh

Hafazeh

Hey guys, so is the fix in 2017.1.0p5? didn't see it in the notes.

EDIT: aw crap just saw the comment above!

karl_jones likes this.
  49. lol7344

lol7344

Guys, what about beta 2017.2.0b9? Didn't anyone test it?
    I'm downloading it now. I'm getting it it every 30/45 minutes on 2017.1.0f3.

50. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

The fix is coming tomorrow as far as i know.

TabuuForteAkugun likes this.