Search Unity

Animator or Animation? The best to use

Discussion in 'Animation' started by clarklak11, Mar 23, 2017.

1. clarklak11

clarklak11

What's the best practice to use for animating models? and what are the Pros and Cons of these two? I'm currently using Animator.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Con: The Animation component is legacy and will go away at some point.

Use Animator. Old devs who grew up on the legacy animation system sometimes argue that it's simpler, but new devs with no preconceived ideas pick up Mecanim just fine. But, simpler or not, you don't want your project to be stuck when legacy goes away. You also don't want to obsolete your skill set by working in an animation system that hasn't been maintained since Unity 4.0.

Other pros of Mecanim:
    • Humanoid retargeting
    • Root motion
    • Blend trees
    • Parameter-based state machine control
    • State machine behaviors
    • Visually see what's going on
    • Sprite animation
    • More efficient for complex animation (e.g., blend trees)
    • Works with newer Unity features like Unity UI (e.g., button animation)
    With recent versions of Unity, you can add clips on the fly and do other things that people complained were missing when Mecanim first came out.

4. clarklak11

clarklak11

Well noted! Thank you so much! So I'm on the right path then. :)

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Happy to share my experiences. I was one of those old farts who was used to legacy animation before I switched over to Mecanim, but I was using the excellent Sage editor (which is basically the Animator state machine window for legacy animation) so the transition was easy.

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Tony do you still use Sage or are you pretty much 100% mecanim now?

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

100% Mecanim. Sage has a great state machine/blend tree editor for legacy, but it's still legacy. It doesn't have all the other great Mecanim features like humanoid retargeting, root motion, etc.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. ZJP

ZJP

I use Mecanim for biped animation only (these advantages in other areas does not concern me). The only advantage I find is retargetting. With each update of Unity this library includes its batches of more or less blocking bugs. I am not satisfied with Mecanim. In addition, it is less efficient (speaking of FPS) than Legacy. He is slow.... :(

For me it is a kind of "hostage-taking". Be obliged to use the least efficient of the two libraries.