Search Unity

Animation Window Improvements

Discussion in 'Animation' started by simonbz, Aug 23, 2016.

1. AaronC

AaronC

The way the auto key recording button fires up presently is pretty weird and confusing. And if it's recording keys then dangerous too.
    What would be useful and hasn't existed since 1x is being able to scrub a global timeline. For eg I have a keyframed character moving and a camera keyframed but I cant scrub both at the same time. The result being I cant scrub forward and line up my camera with my character because both can't be scrubbed forward at the same time. I have to guess where the character might be, and line up the camera looking at a space where he isnt, making for sloppy design.
    Thats been a long time gripe for Unity animation editing for me.

Gizmoi likes this.
  2. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I really like the clamped auto tangent mode! I'm curious if it would be possible to give some insight to the math of this feature? How do you lerp the tangent from the linear slope between the previous and next key frame to the flat tangent? It doesn't look like it's lerped linear...
    This is interesting when generating an AnimationCurve from script and want to create smooth curves with no overshooting :)

3. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

With the animation improvements done since Unity 5.4 the class AnimationUtility got 3 new methods:
    SetKeyBroken
    SetKeyLeftTangentMode
    SetKeyRightTangentMode

But the corresponding getter methods are missing... With 5.5 you introduce a change to the tangentMode bit field (the used bits for the left/right tangent mode have been increased because of the additional mode "ClampedAuto") which will break existing "hacks" as the one from the Wiki. So if you change this bit field, it would be nice if you offer a reliable way again to get the information. Thanks :)

4. John3D

John3D

Really awesome tools! Can't wait to play with Unity 5.5 (Target : Nov 2016)!
    Thank you Unity TEAM!!!

5. greg-harding

greg-harding

Being able to change/retarget the animation paths natively within the Animation window would be a very handy thing. Building and updating animations internally in Unity is pretty painful. We often start basic animation stuff but end up doing everything in tweening code because of the frustrating workflow.

The thread mentioned above spans years of people asking about it. Most posts end up pointing to this script as a solution: https://github.com/s-m-k/Unity-Animation-Hierarchy-Editor/

StaffanEk likes this.
  6. Aedous

Aedous

@simonbz I really like what you've guys have done with the animation window, we use frame by frame animation and having the ability to stretch the animations using the box tool is proving to be quite useful!

Could you guys also look to add the ability to drag and select keyframes just like normal but also include the events as well? This has been the only thing that I wish was included as we move around our events with the frames quite a lot and being able to move all of them at the same time would just be ........ :D

Walbert-Schmitz and StaffanEk like this.
  7. greatergood929

greatergood929

Someday can we hope for an option; to only see the animated properties of a currently selected object?
    In the games we work on, sometimes puppet-constructed characters have a lot of parented pieces, and seeing all of the animated properties on every piece in the chain often means showing dozens/hundreds of entries on the timeline. Making it very difficult to keep things organized visually.

8. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi Uninator! The initial intent was to prevent users from changing the tangentMode enum bitfield directly and provide them with a minimal toolset to do so, albeit too minimal! We'll update the API!

Hi Aedous! I think this is a very valid issue! The animation events and the keyframes are two separate things in the animation clip data structure, which is why they are kept separate as well in the animation window. However, being able to bridge the two would undoubtedly improve the pipeline. We'll take note of it :)

Walbert-Schmitz and Aedous like this.
  9. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Nice, thanks :)

10. mitchell_proost

mitchell_proost

Hello Awesome people!!!! I have been learning how to use unity for the last 3 months and am trying to make my own game but i have run into some snags :) Does anyone by any chance want to throw some love my way?

Im trying to make my character do flips

Once jump animation finishes, i want to another key to do a separate front flip animation in the air. How do i code this in? I want to do it for multiple in-air movements. fronflips, backflips, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

11. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

It would be very helpful to be able to search for a particular animator state (by name) and have the window center on it. Once you have a large number of animator states, it can become difficult to find a specific one, especially if it manages to get covered up by another state. Or if it gets accidentally dropped on a sub-state machine and I don't notice. :)

12. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Did you mean animator window? i think that is entirely different topic

13. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Yes, I did mean the Animator window, but there were some suggestions on the first page about zooming in on the Animator window, so I thought maybe the thread was talking about both windows.

14. Tortuap

Tortuap

We are now in 2020, and "However, being able to bridge the two would undoubtedly improve the pipeline" is still missing.

15. anthonov

anthonov

I made a editor tool that change gameobjects position for me.
    Unfortunately it doesn't record while record button is on in animation window. No keys are created or updated.
    Could we have something for this ?