Search Unity

Animation NetworkView in TPS Demo

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mehware, Dec 25, 2007.

1. mehware

mehware

I just want to mention there was new NetworkView for NetworkSyncAnimation on the Third person player in the Third Person Shooter demo.

Because it was not added you only see the other players transform and not their animation.

When I did add the NetworkView (NetworkSyncAnimation) I did see the other players Animation which is great, however it was laggy. Any ideas on how I can minimize/get rid of this lag.

Happy Holidays :)

2. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the heads up on the network view. I've fixed it and uploaded a new project to the resource section.

Are you running this locally on a single machine or two machines on the same network? In that case your should not be seeing any lag at all. The NetworkInterpolatedTransform script is used in the "Third Person Player" prefab. This script ensures the remote instance of the player is "played back" with a 100 ms delay, which should prevent choppyness or lag, and compensate for dropped packets (in case unreliable state sync is used). On a reasonably fast network the remote player should not be choppy at all. When using ISDN or some awful network simulation you need to increase the interpolation back time value to something else than 100 ms, 200 ms works fine.

3. rmbunity

rmbunity

I am convinced that if I could understand this, it would solve a problem
    that I am currently having. I believe that I have BOTH the old and new
    versions of the ThirdPerson demo discussed here. I believe this because
    the old one does not animate (as described above) and the new one does.
    So, I thought it would be a simple matter to compare the two and find
    the difference. But I can see no difference. Both of them have 2
    NetworkView's on ThirdPersonPlayer, one for ThirdPersonSimpleAnimation
    and one for NetworkInterpolatedTransform. There is also a
    NetworkSyncAnimation attached to each ThirdPersonPlayer, but I am not
    sure what it means to have a NetworkView associated with that script or
    where one sees such an association.
    Thanks.
    --ralph