Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Androids that do NOT work with Unity Android or that have limitations

Discussion in 'Android' started by MIke ekim, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

Friends, it's time to do some more crowd sourcing. (yes, I'm ripping off this thread) Some Unity developers report customer complaints because the customer tried to run a Unity game on a less-than-adequate device. The general rule of thumb for Unity is:

1) Android 2.0
    2) ARMv7/Cortex CPU (however some ARMv6 phones came with respectable GPUs for their time and can run Unity)

Of course, just because a device can run Unity does not mean it can run any Unity game, but that is a separate issue.

Some Android implementations or specific hardware may not support Unity even if the device meets the recommendations listed above. The real purpose of this thread is an attempt to list apparently-capable devices that do not support Unity. We can't stop people from downloading apps that they know won't work on their device; however we can at least make them aware of potential problems so they will try the app ASAP and get their refund, and maybe they will give us a 3-star review instead of one star. Please look through the list below and add the missing devices you're sure do not work with Unity Android or only work within specific constraints.

Do not work (reason):
    • Samsung Transform with stock 2.1 OS (hardware is capable but kernel bug causes problems)
    • Samsung Galaxy 580 (may crash on complicated scenes that other, similar devices can handle)
    • Samsung Galaxy 5 (similar to Galaxy 580)
    • HTC Wildfire (Armv6 processor, not expected to work with Unity as described above)

Work with specific constraints (constraint):
    • Samsung Galaxy S (30 MB limit to downloadable file size, also problems with UI)
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab (30 MB limit to downloadable file size)
    • HTC Desire (40 MB limit to downloadable file size)
    • Samsung Galaxy S2 (Minor but possibly annoying issue: phone may work in 16-bit mode with Unity and show color banding Edit: a workaround was added to address the GS2 graphics driver, I don't know if it was related to this problem or not)
    • HTC EVO3D (Must build with Unity 3.4)
    • HTC Sensation (Must build with Unity 3.4)

If a device is unable to load an app because the file size is too large, the device should not see the app on the market at all; however, you can use this information to try to modify an app's file size so you can reach more users.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. _Petroz

_Petroz

Great thread idea. It's good to know which devices have issues so small scale developers (like me) know to exclude them to avoid 1 star ratings on the app store.

3. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

You can add the HTC Desire to the "works with constraints" list - similar situation to the Galaxy S, but 40mb instead. I think the Galaxy Tab also has the 30mb limit.

4. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

I found similar reports on the web so I added those too.

5. legion

legion

To my knowledge samsung galaxy s also has some problems with UI stuff.

6. refreshcreations

refreshcreations

HTC Wildfire - Uses Qualcomm Processor and only runs very slowly some emulator code

7. Farfarer

Farfarer

Completely gutted my new HTC Sensation doesn't work with Unity :'(

8. lenin713

lenin713

is anyone working on a fix for the sensation?

9. superman_legendary

superman_legendary

Please let us know if someone is working on a fix for EVO 3D/Sensation and considering they use Qualcomm's latest technology I'm sure future HTC devices as well. Can we get some feedback?

10. Vincent Pride

Vincent Pride

So is HTC Wildfire S compatible?
    It seems to have MSM7227 600MHz (ARMv6) with Adreno 200 GPU (OpenGL ES 2.0)

EDIT:
    I checked it, works fine.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  11. agentsmith

agentsmith

I've had the freeze crash on the EVO 3D as well. I'm not sure what to do about except to lock it out. What I like about keeping a thread like this is that I can figure out which phones to lock out before I receive complaints. Thank you again for this thread and please everyone keep it up to date (like if a fix comes out and we can remove a device from the "devices that don't work list.")!

12. XY01

XY01

Had some strange colour banding on my new Galaxy S 2. App is smooth on SE Arc and HTC Desire but has noticeable colour banding on the Galaxy S 2 (tested on 2 devices to be sure). I believe it is the same issue as is explained here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QlnuoNSdXo) .
    Is there any way to force 24 bit mode for certain devices?

13. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

From the 3.4 release notes:

Fixed deadlock problem on multi-core Snapdragon based devices (e.g. HTC Sensation / HTC Evo3D) where most applications would hang.

Added workaround for crashes on Samsung GalaxyS II (ARM Mali-400) due to a bug in the graphics driver.

Can anyone confirm Unity is working better on these devices?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  14. Dreamora

Dreamora

I didn't have problems on my GalaxyS II even with games that were already on the store, so I guess its a special case where it fires and kills the game.

Noxury likes this.
  15. BCouto

BCouto

How does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 perform with Unity? I'll be picking one up in a few weeks to work with Unity.

Anyone?

16. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ive just recieved my new samsung galaxy s2 and my enthusiasm has been dampened somewhat by the colour banding, it's making my lightmaps look atrocious, really very ugly

As choosing to be in 24bit color on the phone is app-specific, i'd hope Unity address it quickly in some form

17. bpritchard

bpritchard

Anyone try to build to the LG Vortex? I know its a really low end device but curious if its supported? I can build and install but it crashes right after the unity screen comes up.

18. salgado18

salgado18

I've been researching a chinese tablet, to find out if it was compatible with Unity. One thing I noticed, and never until now knew the answer, was about ARM7, ARM9, ARM11 nomenclatures, because Unity works on ARMv7 processors. I found out that the answer is in Wikipedia, and I believe should be clarified:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ARM_microprocessor_cores

As it turns out, ARM7 is a processor family, but based on ARMv3 or ARMv4. That's confusing, but with that table, it's easy to find out the real architecture of a given processor. So Unity will only work with Cortex-* and maybe with some ARM11 processors.

Sorry if it's irrelevant, but that cleared up my confusion, and may be useful to someone.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

As first impression it works well with Unity 3.4

20. XeviaN360

XeviaN360

Angrybots runs very smoothly :)

21. happyhopper

happyhopper

I can confirm that Unity 3.4 did fix some Application.Quit() issues. Before it would quit out, then if you hit the app icon again it would show you a black screen then crash. Now it quits like it should, tested on Galaxy S2. I haven't had any crashes with my app on the Galaxy S2 before Unity 3.4, so I can't confirm any other issues that might have been fixed.

22. Vectrex

Vectrex

23. designxtek

designxtek

I have reported crashes on certain scenes in my game on the Samsung Charge

24. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

I'm very interested in getting a HTC sensation. Can anyone confirm that Unity games (published with Unity 3.4) are now working on it?

Edit: I see the update history for Air Attack, Samurai II and Battleheart states that EVO3D and Sensation are now supported, so some major developers have confidence.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  25. BLiTZWiNG

BLiTZWiNG

I'm glad someone else found this info highly confusing. I was trying to find out why Unity couldn't run on the HTC Wildfire when the it says the phone has ARM11 but requires ARMv7 or newer (where ARM11 sounds newer than ARMv7, but isn't...);

Enqueue(Headache);

26. Bigshoes

Bigshoes

Anyone have apps working on the LG Ally?

27. Meltdown

Meltdown

I can't seem to open the phone's web browser when using an HTC Desire :(

28. BLiTZWiNG

BLiTZWiNG

Have you found any limitations yet? I know, very vague question, but I ask because this is make or break for me, as I just finished my trial before I got my Wildfire S. I know it works in Emulation mode on the Wildfire (we have one of those), but as far as I can see the hardware is only a minor upgrade on the Wildfire. I see conflicting reports about things like ShiVa working on Qualcomm Snapdragon but not on MSM7*, which the Snapdragon is.

I R so confused!

29. jezjones

jezjones

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

We have ported our Unity3d Games to Samsung Galaxy S2 and they works very well but we have not used Qalcomm AR plug-in , so i don't know what is the problem.

31. refreshcreations

refreshcreations

Now refuses to install anything that uses Input.touchCount :(

32. Smooth Curves

Smooth Curves

Hey bpritchard, did you ever find out about the Vortex? I am also looking to support the vortex. Right now, attempting to install a unity app on a vortex causes the phone to crash/hang.

On the other hand unity3d works great on HTC Incredible.

33. All_American

All_American

I have a LG Vortex, works fine.

34. nikolic

nikolic

Hi all. I'm new to Unity Android dev. I'm about to get a Samsung Galaxy Note device. Has anyone tried Unity apps on it? Thanks!

35. nikolic

nikolic

I got a Samsung Galaxy Note so here's some info.

I downloaded a dozen of games listed in http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/59697-Games-released-with-Unity-Android (only free ones from 13th and 14th page). They all work fine.

I bought Unity Android license last night and rebuilt a Unity game prototype I recently made for Windows (a HOG/adventure game using 2D Toolkit). It works fine on the device (except for mouse handling but that was expected).

36. Euphorial

Euphorial

I have unity running on my wildfire s, changed the build settings from armv7 to armv6!

37. Gabryel

Gabryel

i have tryed to set Amrv6 but is still dos not work whit HTC Wildfire :eek:

38. Tethys

Tethys

Our recent Unity game Robot Kitten does not work on HTC Inspire. Menu and cut scene loads fine, as soon as the game starts they get a HARD LOCK and the only way to shut down the game is to remove the battery. No other buttons work to get you out of the locked game. Someone reported to us last night that his HTC Desire was also having issues. Apparently HTC's and Unity are a bad combo. :p

Running Samsung Note and the Motorola Xoom tablet. Both run Unity in an awesome fashion - buttery smooth.

39. marck.kh

marck.kh

confirm HTC wildfire S works greate with unity .i test unity 3.5.5
    CPU Qualcomm MSM7227 600 MHz, ARM6 type
    GPU Adreno 200
    Memory 512 MB RAM
    it seems that all Qualcomm MSM727 phones are compatible with unity

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

MSM7227 are the latest pre-snapdragon qualcomm cpus and actually have an ARMV6 and also a VFP unit present, which is the minimum requirement for Unity to run on it :)

41. WarpZone

WarpZone

My game bugs out in ways I've never seen before when the player touches the screen, on the Motorola Moto X and the Nexus 7. The player's ship becomes invisible and objects wink in and out of existence. This is long-distance black-box testing on a friend's device so my options are limited, but right now I'm guessing it's these devices because I can't reproduce on the PC or my own device.

Built with Unity 4, tried targeting 2.3.3, 4.2 and 4.3.

Disregard the above. We traced the problem to a floating point underflow... basically dividing touch.Magnitude by touch.deltaTime and then multiplying that by time.DetlaTime like it says to do in the unity scripting reference resulted in a float so small that it returned as zero due on some devices, but not on others.

Basically, we fixed it like this:

Code (csharp):
    2.     var notZero: double =  (touchA.deltaTime * 10) * (Time.deltaTime * 10);
    3.     if( notZero != 0 ){
    4.         shipXDistanceThisUpdate = touchA.deltaPosition.x / notZero;
    5.         shipXDistanceThisUpdate *= .01; //Undoes the *10's from before.
    6.     }

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  42. Gokuofuin

Gokuofuin

Samsung J1 bugs out completely on Rolling, not sure if its just my game or many but its really bad stuff :S

43. Paul_aranza

Paul_aranza

Same here. app gets stuck at a certain screen (at that time it's downloading pictures and data for the app)
    Xiaomi Mi3 (16gb) and Xiaomi Mi4i (16gb) also gets stuck on this

44. Clockworkelements

Clockworkelements

It has some limitations in it's features. Some Android do not really work on unity because of thee graphics which is really high, in which some android device can not sustain.