Search Unity

Amplify Shader Editor or Shader Forge for a non-programmer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elmar1028, Mar 23, 2017.

1. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi guys,

Which one would be better suited for a non-programmer: Amplify Shader Editor or Shader Forge? Granted that there's no experience in shader-like terminology.

By "non-programmer" I mean no experience in writing shaders. :p

Thanks! :)

2. recon0303

recon0303

Well either is good, I own both , Shader Forge has been around longer, but closed source , so harder to learn much from it, you still can...Amp is newer, but has( Source code) edit, which is always nice...

(Edit Source code )

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just to clarify for anyone who may be confused by this. Source code is included with the asset but it is not open source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software

elmar1028 likes this.
  4. recon0303

recon0303

wiki are bad sources to use...... as a source , You can make a shader, and as you make the nodes you can see the code and open up the actually shader to learn off ... of.. Which is what Amp can do.

Shader Forge, you can't really, you have the graphs and can add to it visually with the nodes.... only but with Amp you can open the shader and see what is going on and learn from it so if you want to understand how shaders are made.... or even edit them manually of you wanted.

That may help understand what they do..

jzq740176597 and elmar1028 like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Open source is completely different from including source code with the asset. Open source implies a special license. Some people will be confused by your misapplication of the term. Whether you choose to use Wikipedia for the correct information or not is up to you.

By the way you can open the source code of the Shader Forge shaders too.

angrypenguin likes this.
  6. recon0303

recon0303

bottom line is they can see the code.. to edit there SHADERS that is very open...Yes and I know there is difference....

So like many assets are DLL's that is closed...

Where some aren't...That is Open or we have access to .. Same difference. and yes I know there is OPEN SOURCE, but you knew what I meant.. if you didn't then I dunno what to say.. Dunno if your trolling but this guy has waited days for a reply..... and now I reply and you look for a reason to correct someone or troll them maybe??? Yes I know there is a difference, but you knew what I meant.. Open Source and Source Code, I meant Source Code.... But by the way I typed it, MOST people should of knew better... but thanks for the Wiki Source...

Open Source is crap like Torque, and alot of free stuff as well that people make typically .. So they have some stuff in common..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, I knew what you meant, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

Open source is the Linux kernel which powers the majority of the phone and tablet industry, powers the majority of the server industry, powers the majority of the supercomputer industry, and the list could easily go on. Just like there are worst case examples like Torque for open source there are worst case examples for closed source like 3D Game Studio.

http://www.3dgamestudio.com/

By the way Unity is powered by open source software too just in case you weren't aware.

http://www.mono-project.com/

Enjoy.

https://opensource.org/docs/definition.php

8. recon0303

recon0303

9. recon0303

recon0303

if you know so much about these two programs, I have yet to see you answer the OP which makes you a TROLL.. have a good day..,. WOW....

Shader Forge is closed Source and has been.. unless it has changed in the past few months ..

You should know this as well...

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/amplify-vs-shader-forge.444365/

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Threads are a discussion. You don't need to respond solely to the original post to contribute to the discussion. Besides you already answered it. What more needed to be added than stating that both are good and which of them includes source access if the OP needs that.

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you think Ryiah is a troll that says more about you than anything.

Martin_H likes this.
  12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

OK, enough with calling people trolls.

--Eric

JustinCollins and Ryiah like this.
  13. neginfinity

neginfinity

"OpenSource" means a project under copyleft license or under permissive license. GPL, LGPL, BSD, MIT, ZLIB, Apache, etc.

Having source code access does not make a project opensource, unless it is under one of such license.

For example, Unreal 4 gives you source code access under very strict conditions and is not opensource project because of that.

Kiwasi, passerbycmc and elmar1028 like this.
  14. elmar1028

elmar1028

Thanks for defining the difference between open source projects and projects that give source code.

Although I would be glad if we kept the thread on topic.

recon0303 likes this.
  15. recon0303

recon0303

I'm glad you attacked me, rather than keeping the thread on topic.

@elmar ya I seen no one answered you for days, so I thought I be nice an answer you, but I see where being nice gets me . and yes that is what I was trying to say that we needed to keep this on topic, .

I don't see this on professional forums which is why I rarely try and help people anymore due to this reason, I stated over and over I made a mistake, yet replies continued and the mod attacks me, with a one sided reply, as a mod of professional ran forums mod should NOT be taking sides of there friend , should of said keep this on topic....

Sorry Elmar if I may have confused you about the open , and source code, I tend to work on many things at once, and WE ARE all human and make mistakes... But instead of being corrected, "I" Felt I was under attack. as I run a company and work for larger and small development companies, and seen your post and felt someone after 7 days of no replies to a simple answer to a question, Then the second, I reply, we get these type of replies..... anyways......I won't help anyone again... on this forum. the people with 8k posts clearly have the time.....

Have a good one..

lovely... Great ran forums...

Anyways, on TOPIC since posts keep coming, yet the Mod SAID nothing...I will, lets keep this in topic, I prefer Amp as I been a developer for AAA and indie for over twenty years, and like the fact that, I have access to the source code...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  16. recon0303

recon0303

Read my posts clearly, nexted time, I.. lets keep this on topic.,.

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I reminded you of the rules. Engaging in personal attacks is against the forum rules; calling people trolls is definitely a personal attack. I'm responding here because of people who hit the "report post" button. I would prefer threads stay generally on-topic, but I'm not going to try to force specific content (aside from rule-breaking content) unless it goes way out of bounds, such as turning into a discussion of, I dunno, cake decorating or something.

--Eric

18. recon0303

recon0303

That is fine and I know the rules I been here long enough, but I felt he was trolling and derailing the topic at hand, That is fine, I won't help people again no problem. It can sit there again for another 20 days for all I care. Best of Luck.. One rule derailing a thread and keeping it off topic a few people above me, yet has it off-topic, yet nothing is said, would be great to be fair to all. Not just to certain people. Have a good day.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

There wasn't enough information nor questions presented to allow for more of a discussion beyond the original answer given by @recon0303 in his initial post. Both are good for people with no experience writing shader code. Understanding what you make is another matter but it's basically just math and references like white papers.

Shader Forge has been out for a longer period of time and thus has had time to mature, but Amplify includes source code which would allow you to create your own custom nodes and continue extending or correcting it if the author abandons it.

Both include video tutorials but I feel like Amplify has slightly more documentation available.

20. recon0303

recon0303

Your fine, I don't have an issue with you, after reading it today, but having all the other people with there off topic was NOT needed. and I did correct my self, as I seen your point, but you keep on and on and on.. We should help the OP and that is it. i thought that is one reason for this forum ? I was multi tasking as I do alot, and read it today when I was not distracted, which is why I corrected it.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm answering the original post. Isn't that what you told me to do earlier?

22. recon0303

recon0303

rather take it to PM, rather than keep this going and BREAKING OFF TOPIC RULES, and The OP did ask us to keep it on topic so I rather NOT explain any further..

23. nipoco

nipoco

Seems the creator of Shaderforge does not longer support it very much and moved on to other projects.
    Just look at the Shaderforge Thread, he is barely active there.

Amplify on the other hand has a team of guys dedicated to their assets only. You get regular updates on a weekly basis.
    And since Amplify Shader Editor ships with the source code, other shader wizards contribute their own nodes and third-party developer can support it too.
    This all seems more future proof than ShaderForge in the long run.

Besides that, I find Amplify Shader Editor easier to grasp, like Unreal's material editor. It is still a learning curve.

ekergraphics and Bluk like this.
  24. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Speaking of which, this is one of the many hobbies I find myself caught up in

https://facebook.com/Megans-Cakes-192579777593470/

Sorry @Eric5h5, I just couldn't resist.

;)

Ryiah likes this.