Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD A-Series Crashing Issue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Gecube88, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Gecube88

Gecube88

Hey guys,

Since we haven't made any progress with this issue, I will consolidate all the information I have in one place.

I have been in contact with unity via email but have lost contact and cannot get any updates.

I develop a game called Golf with Your Friends, available on Steam.
    Its become quite popular in a short amount of time, because of this we are getting reports of crashing on a daily bases.

I get them to try direct X 9 and updating their graphics drivers and OS updates before ruling it out as this issue.
    After asking the user what their specs are its usually an AMD A-Series, and by usually I mean 98%-99% of the time.

When did this start to occur
    This all started when we built a large update that included a new level (Twilight), Twilight is a night map with like 40-50 baked lights to create a glowing atmosphere.

When we did this we also added real-time GI to the other 2 levels and menu, which looks great.
    We also baked occlusion culling and did some changes to the game code for game-play.

On a side note we also changed the game name in the same update, from Golf with Friends to Golf with Your Friends due to legal reasons, not sure if that could change anything.

What do users report
    The users with this issue report that they can play the main menu and practice mode (Same scene).
    They can also play 1 of the 3 levels (Twilight) and if they play the other 2 (Oasis and Forest) they crash after 2-3 holes or instantly.

I believe changing to Direct X 9 as very little effect.

When we first got reports of this issue people were crashing on launching the game, I disabled a light on the menu, build the game and uploaded to test. It fixed the crashing on the menu, I then re-enabled it and the crashing on start up was still fixed.

What I have tried

I have tried removing the new level all-together.
    I have also tried clearing all the Real-time GI and baked data.

I have a few users who have helped me quite a bit.

One instance I removed everything from Oasis except the terrain and a camera that floats around,
    He could play the game without crashing.
    I then added back the objects with no lights and very little code, he crashed.
    I then added just the lights back and removed the objects and he crashed again.

Unable to pinpoint why this is happening.

The reports always end with this.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================
    3.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 0144A114)
    4. 0x0144A114 (Golf With Your Friends)
    5.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 0141FFD6)
    6. 0x0141FFD6 (Golf With Your Friends)
    7.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 01420BC9)
    8. 0x01420BC9 (Golf With Your Friends)
    9.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 0141B97F)
    10. 0x0141B97F (Golf With Your Friends)
    11.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 0141C59E)
    12. 0x0141C59E (Golf With Your Friends)
    13.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 0144BC3C)
    14. 0x0144BC3C (Golf With Your Friends)
    15.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 015DAD0F)
    16. 0x015DAD0F (Golf With Your Friends)
    17.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 015DBB4E)
    18. 0x015DBB4E (Golf With Your Friends)
    19.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 0167DF87)
    20. 0x0167DF87 (Golf With Your Friends)
    21.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 0167FD4E)
    22. 0x0167FD4E (Golf With Your Friends)
    23.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 01A33DB8)
    24. 0x01A33DB8 (Golf With Your Friends)
    25.   ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 01A6315E)
    26. 0x01A6315E (Golf With Your Friends)
    27. 0x74D038F4 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    28. 0x77BC5DE3 (ntdll) RtlUnicodeStringToInteger
    30. ========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========
    Crash reports (onedrive link)
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlTtGVAEJcbPl9MSq9JwidXrvSxMdw

Specs (I stopped recording a while ago, just saw they were all A-Series)
    AMD A6-7400K using Radeon R5 integrated - Win7 64-bit
    AMD A6-5400K using Radeon HD 7540D - Win 8 64-bit
    AMD A4-6300 APU using AMD Radeon HD 8670A - Win 8 64-bit
    AMD FX 4130 quad core 3.7GHz using AMD Radeon 7750 - Ubuntu 14.04
    AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics and I am running on Windows 10 64 Bit
    AMD A4-6300 APU with AMD Radeon HD 8370D - Win 10 64-bit
    AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
    AMD A6-5400K with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics - Win7 64 bit
    AMD A4-6320 APU with Radeon HD7850 win 10 64-bit

Here is another thread with users having this issue: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ga...ss-invalid-address-error.402857/#post-2683960

I had a trace file from a user but have lost the link, let me know if anyone needs it and ill try get the link or get another trace.

If you would like me to note down all the specs I can also keep doing this.
    All other users can run the game fine with the odd crash due to outdated drivers.
    Even a lot of AMD A-Series owners don't have a problem.

If anyone knows any information, workarounds or are getting this problem, please post below.
    I could be missing something really simple but its causing a lot of pain for our costumers and the development of our game.

Thanks heaps!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Here's a symbolicated stacktrace:

Code (csharp):
    1.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!Unity::RendererScene::SceneAfterCullingOutputReady(const IndexList * visible, const RendererCullData * __formal) Line 396 C++
    2.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!CullSendEvents(CullResults & results, dynamic_array<BaseRenderer *,4> & needsCullCallback, dynamic_array<BaseRenderer *,4> * rendererCullCallbacks, const Camera * camera) Line 206 C++
    3.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!CullScene(SceneCullingParameters & cullingParameters, const Camera * camera, CullResults & results) Line 462 C++
    4.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!Camera::CustomCull(const CameraCullingParameters & parameters, CullResults & results) Line 1172 C++
    5.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!Camera::Cull(CullResults & results) Line 961 C++
    6.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!RenderManager::RenderCameras(const int displayId) Line 114 C++
    7.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!PlayerRender(bool present) Line 1352 C++
    8.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!PlayerLoop(bool batchMode, bool performRendering, IHookEvent * pHookEvt) Line 1855 C++
    9.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!MainMessageLoop() Line 551 C++
    10.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!PlayerWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst, HINSTANCE__ * hPrev, char * szCmdLine, int nCmdShow) Line 969 C++
    11.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst, HINSTANCE__ * hPrev, char * szCmdLine, int nCmdShow) Line 6 C++
    12.  Golf With Your Friends.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 275 C
    13.  kernel32.dll!@BaseThreadInitThunk@12() Unknown
    14.  ntdll.dll!___RtlUserThreadStart@8() Unknown
    15.  ntdll.dll!__RtlUserThreadStart@8() Unknown
    Is there any chance you could submit a bug report with the details posted here? Chances are, our QA might be able to reproduce it if you tell them the hardware it crashed on - looks like it's prevalent on AMD A series CPUs.

3. Sebioff

Sebioff

Hey @Gecube88, have you done what @Tautvydas-Zilys suggested? :) Would also love to see this issue getting fixed as it is the most common reason for crashes in my game.

@Tautvydas-Zilys: is there anything I can provide in addition to the stuff Gecube88 posted already to help with resolving this? I can submit my project but have no idea how to trigger the issue or if it still exists in Unity 5.4, and the output_logs look identical to the ones posted here.

4. Gecube88

Gecube88

Yep I have posted a report and am in contact with QA right now.
    I mentioned this post in an email that I sent off just then, about how you are also still having this issue.

Hopefully we can find a fix.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. Sebioff

Sebioff

Awesome, thanks for the update :)
    We're about to release a new build using Unity 5.4, will update here if there are still reports with that.

6. Gecube88

Gecube88

Appreciate it mate.

7. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

When browsing new computers (towers only) sold in the price range of $250 - $750, the AMD A-series processor accounts for 20% of all computers in the market. This is still a significant percentage of PCs running Unity games.

Knowing this, shouldn't Unity QA purchase an AMD A-series computer system?
    The reason is because there have been numerous bug reports and threads created (like this one) which explicitly state the issues only occur on machines using an AMD A-series processor (95% of the time).
    I keep posting this link, but I'll post it again here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ve...in-the-editor-console-odd-tag-cleanup.341934/

All of these bug reports keep getting closed because Unity is not testing the repros on AMD A-series processors.

8. gintautass

gintautass

QA Minion Unity Technologies

@Sebioff could you make a bug report with a project that reproduces this issues and PM me with the case number?

@TTTTTa yes ;) Could you drop me the case numbers that got closed?

If there is anyone else that would like to add something to either this or any other issue related to AMD A line-up please write here or better is to make a bug report and let me know about it.

Gecube88 likes this.
  9. palaxe

palaxe

Interesting, I have been working on a project now for 2 years, Perilous Isles Online.
    It wasn't until this weekend when one of my new testers that we added to the group said he gets in for about 10-20 sec
    Then it freezes on him. After testing memory and everything the only thing I could come up with is he is the first tester to use a AMD A cpu. By chance I found this thread.

So I'm making my build using unity 5.3. Is 5.4 fixing the problem?
    This was a shock btw because it was the last thing I thought it would be. He is using a GTX 650 Card btw. So It's has to be the CPU. Also he took the card out and put it in his older AMD ph. Mechine from 2008 LOL... and the game ran fine.
    So It has to be the AMD A series.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. gintautass

gintautass

QA Minion Unity Technologies

There are two machines with AMD A coming later in a week, then we will be able to test this.

As for now every project that reproduces the issue would be appreciated. :)

11. Sebioff

Sebioff

I've had some more people who previously experienced crashes confirm that the Unity 5.4 build of our game is working for them. Amount of data is still pretty limited though. I'll submit my 5.3 version.

12. BurningToad

BurningToad

Hello! Our project Shroud of the Avatar is also having an issue with AMD APU series processors crashing. For us, it happens at a specific point every time, on multiplayer login. Also, it seems to only happen with a 64 bit build, not a 32 bit build. We are currently on Unity 5.3.5p2. Unity QA may have a copy of our project already.

13. export800

export800

Hearthstone crashes on AMD APUs during matches.

14. Gecube88

Gecube88

Thanks for the info.
    Ill upload a 5.4 experimental build for users to test, ill get back with any information.

15. Gecube88

Gecube88

Hey Guys,

Quick update: Unity 5.4.0 seems to have fixed this issue for the people we have tested with.
    Ill push an update for an experimental build and push users with this issue that way and update when I have more information.

hopeful likes this.
  16. Jammaplaya

Jammaplaya

Hail,

I am one of the people having this issue with the game Shroud of the Avatar.

If there's anything I can do to help test the fix, please PM me here or PM jammaplaya on SOTA forums (also me)

Hope I can be of some assistance ^^

Anonimado likes this.
  17. BurningToad

BurningToad

It looks like this issue is persisting in Unity 5.4.1p1 for 64 bit DirectX 11 builds of our game. Is anyone else still seeing this issue in Unity 5.4?

18. BurningToad

BurningToad

Posting again, as we still have a 100% crash at the same place in our game as of Unity 5.4.1p4 for any 64 bit build of our game when running on an AMD APU processor. 32 bit does not crash.

19. Anonimado

Anonimado

Hi Jammaplaya I'm trying to play Shroud of the Avatar too, I have same problem with AMD a8 Chipset and I wish to play correctly like other users with intel chipset.

Does Unity developers are working to solve such problem? there's any work on this?