Search Unity

Am I allowed to use the Unity Icon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexanderameye, Jun 19, 2017.

1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hey,

I have a welcome window for my editor extension asset that has some useful links (my email, the documentation,...) and next to the links are some images to make it visually more appealing. I have one button that redirects the user to the forum support page of my asset, am I allowed to use the Unity icon in that editor window?

Example:

Instead of the forum icon I was wondering if I could replace that with the Unity logo.

Alex

Edit: I found this page, so I can use it but only the logo + the text? Or also just the logo?

Edit2: I found this image, which makes me believe you can also just use the logo? I'm a bit confused now...

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

3. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

So does it need Unity+ the logo, or is the logo just okay? I read that page but it still leaves me confused. Because for example OpenCv, that Unity logo is not downloaded from that website, but it's still okay to do what they did right?

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need a lawyer to answer this question. Alternatively you could contact unity support. I believe it has a legal department.

Actually as far as I can tell, what opencv did appears to be against permitted use of logos. See "Make sure you never" paragraph
    Seems to fit squarely into "modifying the logo" category.

I believe the best course of action would be to drop the idea of using unity logo. For forum link you don't even need it, just use generic speech bubble or something.

alexanderameye likes this.
  5. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

That's great advice! I'll just keep the logo of two chat bubbles :)