Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Alpha version of my game "MyCiv" released on Google Play Store

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by visualbruno, Apr 1, 2016.

1. visualbruno

visualbruno

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll add a transport ship and I'm thinking how to allow land units to cross water when some technologies are discovered.
    Helicopters are land units. I know, it is a bit strange, but helicopters can move on land, not flying units.

You are right concerning AI, I have to improve it.

For automatic movement, I'll check at the end of turn if a unit has still some movement points, so the end of turn will be stopped before.

Concerning embarked units, any idea to simplify their selection ?

Best Regards
    Bruno

2. Jonlongsilver

Jonlongsilver

Love the game.

Turn 702: the terrain shifted. Whole mountain range moved 5 hexes. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks
    Jon

Attached Files:

3. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi

Did you load an saved game made before the version 1.0 ?
    Because in v1.0, I had to rewrite world generation, so v1.0 is not compatible with the old saved games.

Best Regards
    Bruno

4. Jonlongsilver

Jonlongsilver

My version is 1.0. I guess the app updated and my game was a bit old (2 months).
    Thanks
    I'll start another round.

5. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi everyone.

MyCiv is deployed on Apple Store. Enjoy!

You can play with your friends on Android.

6. Jonlongsilver

Jonlongsilver

Fyi: I just had 3 pikeman "hideout"in a city i recaptured. I could not select them from the "hex" troop list. They left the city the next round.

7. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Wow! This looks fantastic!

You've really made a LOT of progress in a short amount of time.

I'll definitely be checking this out.

8. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi

It is a bug, normally you can capture a city if there are units inside.
    I'll check it.

Thank you

9. visualbruno

visualbruno

Thank you

I'm preparing the game for Online gaming.
    If you are interested to test it, just send me an email at info@newsoftvision.com

See you

10. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I would if I could, but I don't have the time lately. Sorry.

11. Jonlongsilver

Jonlongsilver

If you stack a battleship on the same hex as a carrier, you can load land units onto the carrier. Great way to move 8 land units at a time.

Also, are nuclear missles no longer transportable? I cannot get them to load into submarines nor cruisers.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

12. visualbruno

visualbruno

Oh, great hack !

Thanks for the information, I'll check it.

The only way to embark missile is from a coastal city, because missiles have only 1 movement point.

13. Keendk

Keendk

Only thing I can think of in regards to easier selecting units on ships would be to have an option for the unit box to automatically open whenever a transport unit with other units in it is selected.

Really looking forward to trying out the victory conditions :) will add a significant challenge if I put the turn count low so a good way to make the game harder without doing anything with the AI.

Keep up the good work, I think there's a ton of us out here who really appreciate all your hard work. Hope you can make some money of it one day.

14. Ciggybuttbrains

Ciggybuttbrains

Hey can't seem to figure out how to embark units settlers mainly where's the button to embark at?

15. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi

To embark land units, move your boat on a coast then move your land unit on your boat.
    To disembark your units, select your boat, click on the helm (left button on the screen), select your land unit and move it on the island.

Best Regards
    Bruno

16. visualbruno

visualbruno

17. Olovin

Olovin

Hello, recently I saw this game, and of course began to play. It very nice for civ fans, thank you (my favourite game is
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri). I have some question about game:
    1) "Jungle gives now +1 Production" - now jungle give too match resourсes in comparison with all other terrain. With improvement disbalance is remains.
    2) Workers remember their work - we can build road in one tile for 90%, then this worker can go in another tile and build road for 1 turn. It seems, as worker accumulate road and carry with themselves. This bug allows build road very quickly in new region. And therefore work of workers is not additivity.
    3) Water workers (boats) have very expensive cost for one-time use.
    4) Building of road is very long. 2-3 turns is optimum.
    5) One my city populate not grow, though it have +17 food per turn.
    PS sorry fo my english :)

Medovik likes this.
  18. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi, Thanks for your message
    I increased production for jungle because at this moment you cannot build any improvement on it.
    I'll check the bug concerning Workers.
    I'll see to decrease the cost for Workboat
    Concerning Roads/Railroads, I'll add a new unit that will work faster, so you will be able to upgrade current worker to this new unit.
    Concerning your city, each citizen in a city consumes 2 foods, so if its size is lower than 17 it should grow. Send me your saved game and I'll check it.

Thank you
    Bruno

19. Olovin

Olovin

But I can build in jungle trade post - with bonus "2 research from trade post" jungle becomes super tile (especially for Brazilian) :).
    You may decrease the cost for Workboat or make Workboat reusable (and increase the cost as (cost of Worker) x2 for example - approximately like in alpha centauri).
    Upgrade workers - is intresting solution :).
    Saves sended to mail (info@newsoftvision.com) - city Antium not growing. Supposedly it happened after building of Hanging Garden.

Some other:
    1) Sometimes not appear icons in corner of just building unused units - and we lose turn. And if we came in city, but didn't order to build - icon disappears too (and we forget about it to the following turn). May be remove hint icon only when unit and city have order?
    2) Sometimes click for scrolling and my pointview run away somewhere, but current unit/city remains in focus.
    3) Great Wall - what it doing?
    4) For Rome "25% less production" brings to jumping beetwen base cost and real cost. Amount of hammers and needing turns jump too. (When switch beetwen buildings "built in capital" and "not built in capital").
    5) Translation to Russian language is terrible. Can you make in settings trigger to English? Also I can help you with translating to Russian (mint is translate as peppermint for example :D).
    6) On Ipad icon on welcome screen is disproportionate (not circle). On android good, circle.

20. visualbruno

visualbruno

Thanks for your message.

What I already did for the next release:
    • I fixed the problem for growing city.
    • Now, I only remove notification button when the city is building something.
    • A player fixed russian translation
    You are right concerning Great Wall, I'll add more bonus.
    Yes, I'll add a new unit for workers, so you will be able to upgrade it.
    I have to implement "Obsolete" units, too.

I don't understand the problem with "Rome : 25% less production".

Best Regards
    Bruno

21. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi everyone.

I deployed the version 1.10 on Google Play Store.
    It contains the Multiplayer Online and a Chat.

Release note:
    • NEW: Multiplayer Online
    • NEW: Chat with your friends
    • FIXED: Game crashes with some custom map
    • FIXED: Game crashes when a saved game is corrupted
    • FIXED: Game crashes in Construction Queue in City
    • FIXED: Game crashes during AI Turn
    • FIXED: Flying units cannot move over ennemy units
    • FIXED: In some cases, a city was not growing.
    • FIXED: Country Flag for LT
    • FIXED: Russian translation (Thanks to Grigoriy)
    • FIXED: Network connection issue (Multiplayer)
    • UPDATED: Notification for city disappear only when a construction is selected
    • IMPROVED: Memory optimization
    Thank you all for your support and your help
    Bruno

22. mengoni

mengoni

Hi Bruno,
    Thanks for the time and effort spent on MyCiv, it's a great game!
    I've some suggestions, questions and minor bugs to report if you like:
    - opening diplomacy window with another civ without closing it before cause rows (techs, cities, etc.) in lists to add in queue instead of substitute.
    - when more units are on the same tile, sometimes happens that the visible unit (on map) is not the focused one (on left panel), so often I move the wrong unit.
    - when more enemy units are on the same tile, is it possible to see how many and which type they are on long press?
    - moving unit is somehow difficult on tablet. When a unit is focused, activating movement mode on longpress on empty tile, with that destination selected, would make it a easier and faster.
    - a "massive move" button would be very useful when dealing with multiple units on the same tile (especially to embark, desembark).
    - automove at the end of turn cause the loss of the remaining movements. Perhaps it would be better at the beginning of turn, so you can consume the rest of the movements.
    - map dialog window should be clickable to move fast in another zone.

Best Regards
    Gianluca

23. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi
    Thank you very much.
    I'll fix the bug you mentionned.
    • Concerning stacked units, I'm thinking how to display on a tile only the selected unit or the most powerful unit.
    • I'll implement "Armies" soon, so you will be able to merge different units and move them together.
    • I'll fix Automove too, so if at the end of turn a unit has some move points, I'll not do the end of turn.
    • You can click on MiniMap, but only the biggest one, not the small one.
    If you are interested to test the next version, just go the website http://www.newsoftvision.com, I'll upload here the release note and a link to test it.

At this moment, I implemented Auto-Explore for Scout and Trireme and added Airport.
    This version in incompatible with Multiplayer Online until it is released.

Do not hesitate to send me your suggestions.

Best Regards
    Bruno

24. Dongingman

Dongingman

Nice game, gave it to my friend and he plays it now.

Could you please port it to PC?

25. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi

Thank you.

The game should work on PC, Mac and Linux.

I did not decide yet where to publish it.

Do you think I should publish it on Steam ?

26. JMZoldyck

JMZoldyck

Great Game man!

I have a problem tho i cant seem to move troops onto boats to transport them over seas please help ty :)

27. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi
    Thank you

To embark land units, move your boat on a coast then move your land unit on your boat.
    To disembark your land units, select your boat, click on the helm button (left of the screen), select your land unit and move it on the island.

Pay attention, some boats cannot embark units and others can embark only some type of units.

For example, CargoShip and Workboat cannot embark units and Carrier can only embark flying units.

Best Regards
    Bruno

28. Mderby

Mderby

29. tvleavitt

tvleavitt

Been playing Civilization type games since before the original came out. Really impressed. Just played Japanese and kicked ass vs. the AI. On a heavily islanded map, their sea bonus turbocharges new cities...is there any documentation that describes what the effect of improvements (for example) is? What does a farm do, vs. a trading post? A railroad vs. a road? Etc. The Opedia button doesn't do much.

30. Mderby

Mderby

Hi Bruno, I have been playing the game in version 1.14. Now I'm in turn 390 and the game crashes a lot. Is there a memory leak bug ?

Thanks.

31. TrucidoCallidus

TrucidoCallidus

I'm trying to embark land and load missiles into carriers and missile cruisers, leaving them adjacent to a land tile and/or city, and it's not allowing me to transfer them to said units. I have the latest version so I don't think it's that. Can anyone help?

32. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi
    Thank you

Every improvement bonus (food,production,gold) are explained in MyCivopedia.
    Some improvements are required to use the resource.
    Example: Horses: To be able to construct mounted units, a land with horses requires a Pasture.

Concerning Roads, they divide the number of move points required by 2 and RailRoads divide by 3.
    Example:
    A jungle requires 2 MovePoints, so with a Road it will require only 1 Pt and with RailRoads only 0.66 Pt.

Best Regards
    Bruno

33. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi
    It can be a problem of memory.
    Can you try to decrease the number of trees in the settings (move the slider to the left).
    I know it consumes a lot of memory.

If the game continue to crash at the same time, maybe there is a bug. If you can send me your saved game at info@newsoftvision.com, I'll analyze it.
    Thank you

Bruno

34. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi
    Strange, can you send me your saved game at info@newsoftvision.com, I'll check if there is a bug.
    Thank you

Bruno

35. Sers1

Sers1

Hi Bruno!
    Great game. I just wondered if it's possible to change the tech being researched. If there is none selected yet, and I click on the tech, whatever tech I tap will be selected on the bottom. As soon as I leave the research window, I can't change it anymore, even if it is same round and research has not even started yet?
    Greetings
    Sers

36. peoplenamed

peoplenamed

Some of my city names have disappeared. Is this normal functionality? I remember a game very similar to this from when I was young and I think I remember that if your cities can't fund themselves they will break away from your colony? How do I fix this?

37. Joereyesy145

Joereyesy145

I love your work. It's amazing how much you've done since I first started to play it. Thought I have some few suggestions to add to the game.
    - it would be great if the workers could adapt base off where the capital is located.
    Such as if I put my capital anywhere and my first tiles are by water, grass land or plains, etc. The workers has a better adaptability for them. Such as being able to worker faster on them.
    - Any attack units can get stronger base off the experience it gets from defeating other units. For example a standard tank they would have at least 100 attack power. It increases by 5-15 the more battles it's in. So if a tank kills three or 5 units of the same strength then it gains experiences to increase to 130.

-World news:
    This is just so we can see activities in the world.
    So you know who is allys with who, or who is at war.

- Pacts:
    This is where a nation cant be attacked by the one who signed it.
    It can last as long as you want but it'll be nice if it was 10 to 50 turns.

-Leader of the nation
    A unit who is the leader of the nation and has a bonus, but if they die it will bring the nation unhappiness or something

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  38. Dannypjr

Dannypjr

I cant remember how to edit my own map

39. Earlymorning-Starlight

Earlymorning-Starlight

Hello, this game is great! Thank you very much for making such a good game! I have been playing this game for a few months, and here a little bit of advice, nuclear missiles than the atomic bomb moving distance two more, personally feel that this distance seems to be some short, if more than five lattice like! After all, the price of nuclear missiles is much higher than the atomic bomb! There are hope that the scope of the nuclear missile explosion can be added, more advanced than the atomic bomb! Thank you very much!

40. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi.

At the MainMenu, click on "MultiPlayer" then on "Map Editor".

Best Regards
    Bruno

41. KarmanMonkey

KarmanMonkey

I may be missing something, but I can't seem to figure out how to heal units.

42. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi.
    You can heal the units if you choose the action "Rest" or "Defend".

Best Regards
    Bruno

43. CHINAzhiqian

CHINAzhiqian

Hello, I am Chinese. I like this game very much. I have a few questions for you. Please forgive my english.
    There are some buildings that only need 0 rounds. Why can't they be built? Such as wealth, science

44. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi

Thank you.

Wealth is not a "building", so you cannot construct it, but it converts 25% of your production into gold.
    Science is not a building too, but it converts 25% of your production into research points.

They are useful if you don't want to construct something in your city.

Best Regards
    Bruno

45. Earlymorning-Starlight

Earlymorning-Starlight

Hello, sir.Thank you for making such an amazing game! I've played this game for a few months, and I think I have some advice about the nuclear missiles.Nuclear missile performance should be more stronger than the atomic bomb, so players are willing to use nuclear missiles, after all, nuclear missile prices are too high than the atomic bomb.Maybe the attack range of the nuclear missiles could be a bit more longer.The current nuclear missile attack distance is 12 grid, I think it can be improved to 15 grid.
    And personally my think the destruction range of the nuclear missile is still a bit too small.Please consider to change the radiation of the destruction of the nuclear missiles to 4 or 5.Plus I think the price of nuclear missiles should be even higher than Now.It would be my honor if you took my advice.At last, thank you for this terrific game.It is really amazing.

46. CHINAzhiqian

CHINAzhiqian

Thank you very much. I've got it. The game editor is excellent if the editor can edit map resources and civilization. Will be better.

47. Nukclear

Nukclear

Love the game, by far the best civ game I have played. (don't have access to the PC civ games.) There is a problem with the AI building trading posts on EVERY unique resource, but it doesn't affect gameplay. keep up the good work

48. Medovik

Medovik

Hi Bruno,

Designing and developing a game in multi platform isn't a great deal for everyone and you done it, So you're unique with greater competencies.

First game I played almost by 480 turns I understand the structure of your game, though I have lot confusions like;
    1. A Same Building can be built in multiple cities or Just in one (when I build an adequate, will I lose in other cities)
    2. we need to know the purpose of the unit and buildings (like purpose of police station).
    3. Why, when I assign auto explore for the Sea Transport it, chooses the upright corner of the map.
    4. How does a road serves? (Just connecting cities or a feature like in CivRev2)?
    5. Auto improvement default action is what? I seeing workers building trade in mines, plantations.
    6. City's output as research is missing.

Feature Request:
    1. Grouping Fighting units.
    2. Selecting particular type of unit in 1 click.
    3. Icons are too small to "Construct & Buy"
    4. Great Persons and to use their talents.
    5. Need to build Embassies in Ally country.
    6. You can set a delivery point (city) for all the production (Age of Empires).
    7. bridges connecting small island.
    8. River and various terrains like highland, Snowland.
    9. Adding drones for monitoring enemy land.
    10. Experiences (Defense, Attack, Movement) in simple words like civrev2.
    11. Collecting Oil from Oceans.
    12. Making roads to lessen the movement activities.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  49. aemi87

aemi87

This is addictive. Great game. Spent way too many hours on this.

Just want to share a few things with you:

AI
    - AI needs to stop being in a perpetual state of war between each other (especially as the game progresses), they don't have enough army left when I am ready to fight them;

- Sometimes I capture some AI cities to improve them and give them back to AI, except some of them have "palace" and I cannot return them, this needs to be fixed, there should be only 1 palace per civ, and I should choose which city should have it;

- Peace doesn't have to expire;

- the window that is supposed to show how each civ interacts with each other, like war, peace etc is blank for me. Just heads up.

Later on

- Eventually the AI should be able to improve its surroundings properly, like don't build a trading post on a uranium mine, cause then I have to capture the city, and do the proper improvements and then give it back.

- The AI might want to rethink declaring war on a nation stronger than them.

- Also the tech unit (upgrade from modern armor) is way to strong even in defensive.

- I agree with @Keendk on helicopters, buying tech from AI and transport ships.

But even if you don't fix some of these, I will keep on playing.

50. Shadowhal

Shadowhal

Hello there,
    First of all, thank you Bruno for creating an entertaining and quite complete version of civilization that works on phones and tablets. A very impressive feat for a one-man operation.

Maybe of use for you in terms of technical handling: the game downloaded, installed and runs fine on my relatively old and small phone (Galaxy S4 mini). It needed a few kicks to install and such, but works like a charm. I'm still in my first game, but so far performance is quick. I also like the level of graphics you have been able to produce which is more than sufficient for what I would want from it. Lastly, while the buttons were a bit small and all, it was playable. But yeah, generally these kind of games are better on bigger phones or tablets.

Besides this, as several others, I have a few observations which I hope can contribute to making a good game better:
    1. I would increase the occurance of lakes, rivers and mountains and maybe add hills as a tile type. In the map I am playing, it's basically a big open field with not that many features. I think some videos from an older version (0.65?) were similar in this regard. If that makes things easier, maybe you can have a look at some civilization map scripts from the modders there for inspiration.
    2. I also didn't find plains and grassland tiles very visually distinct, which added to the perceived lack of map diversity.
    3. Maybe have the option for further zoom out?
    4. Ideally, I would include the buildings' and wonders' effects directly in the short description (when you select them). It shows how the core output values change, but some structure have special effects, e.g. barracks. If, due to interface space that proves impractal, what about visually highlighting the bonuses in the "?" tool tip?
    5. Slightly similar, might be nice to have access to those building bonuses even for constructed buildings.
    6. Again, another interface related item: I think a breakdown of where your city's resource income comes from could be really useful. As in x food from tiles, y food from buildings, z food from wonders - v food from number of citizens.
    7. Maybe you can inject a bit of personality by adding images for the leaders. You could check Wikipedia whether their images are under the GNU license for non-commercial use. Though whether your operation does count as non-commercial given the possibility of donation I cannot say. But worth exploring, if you haven't done so yet.
    8. Last on this list ... I though that not all of the music pieces fit to the respective era. There was good stuff in there, but some music sounded very modern for the classical age I was playing in.

These were more aesthetic/polish related comments. I'd have some more structural as well, if you are interested:
    9. I think the game would really benefit from some more nation wide decisions, e.g. governments. Obviously, there are many ways how to implement this. I wouldn't make it too complicated and focus on few, but relevant choices, and choices you can change later on ... at a cost. I found Civ IV civics quite well designed, though there is also some allure in Endless Legend's empire plans or Call to Power's governments. The important thing in this would be to allow tweaking or breaking some rules rather than adding various % or absolute bonuses. E.g. in Civ IV when slavery allowed you to sacrifice population to increase production or when a certain policy does not allow for spread of foreign religion. Or for example democracy/de-centralisation removing your option to manually assign workers in return for some benefits like happiness.
    10. Also religion could be a very interesting mechanic, in particular in how it can interact with other systems, e.g. governments and diplomacy. I would tend to avoid going for something as complex as civ V or VI's model, but something simple as in IV would be nice. So, helping spread culture, giving some benefits such as happiness and gold. But also influencing diplomatic ties.
    11. Not sure in what sense you currently have a growth/city sprawl limiter. There is happiness, but I am not quite sure how it works and to what extend it limits your ability to just keep founding/conquering cities.

Those last three are clearly bigger, more long term items which you may have on your list or not. But I thought I might point out some ideas that I think haven't been mentioned.

I have one last comment for now, and this one is purely a matter of taste: I think there is quite some taste for a streamlined, but deep version of civ in the mobile market. Some who manages to create that could reap good benefits. civ revolution seemed to leave quite some potential at the door. I don't think this is where you are heading, since you are more aiming for a "full" civ experience. And that's fine and will be tempting enough for me. But again, thought it might not hurt to mention.

All in all, once again thanks for creating this and keep up the good work!