Search Unity

ALL my Unity Projects wont compile anymore! Error Building Player!

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by stairs, Dec 1, 2010.

1. stairs

stairs

Help,

I just try compile a new project in Unity this morning and get this error:

Error Building Player: IOException /Users/..../Build/Data/Raw/.DS_Store Already exists
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

I try compile another project and get THE SAME ERROR!!

What's wrong?? Plese help! :eek:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Seeing the same thing here; no idea why.

Solution is delete <xcode build folder>/Data/Raw folder before every compilation... tedious!

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

sounds like a problem with xcode - folder rights

you can do a reboot of the system followed by a harddisk check in the disk tool to rebuild the rights

4. cbullock

cbullock

One other thing you could try that worked for some weird error I was having is:

Just go to your main project's folder on your computer's desktop/FInder and just DUPLICATE the entire project folder...yep, that's it. Just duplicate your entire Unity project folder.
    ...Then, try just opening up a scene from that NEW duplicated project's folder; and maybe it will magically work...

I know it sounds totally bogus and like it wouldn't do anything....but I was getting a Unity Compiler Error (meaning when Unity is compiling your game, before it gets sent to xcode), and just by accident I duplicated my project and opened it; and for (literally, no reasonable reason that I know of lol)...it just worked again.

I STILL get this problem now and then; and have to do the duplication thing and it works everytime; although the compiler error you're getting is different from the one I get (the same everytime, with different projects - regarding the "iphone trampoline" something rather....I have no clue why it fixes things when you duplicate it but it does for that error)...

Anyway, if you're really stuck, it's worth a shot. I hope you get things worked out, it's a horrible feeling when things go bad like that...

5. Dragonian

Dragonian

Having Similar issues after upgrading to unity 3.1.0f4 and xcode 3.2.5.

We found that deleting the the folder <xcode project>/Data/Raw before each build worked as Joe explained above.

We did notice that upon a successful build, <xcode project>/Data/Raw contained our video streaming assets.

Cheers all.

6. Julian-Glenn

Julian-Glenn

That's what I've been doing since 3.1.0f3

Very painful as my build is quite complicated/lengthy and if I forget to del the folder prior to building I want to punch my monitor.

And it's the StreamingAssets vids that are in that folder as well.

Filed a Bug report.

7. stairs

stairs

Yeap...it's works for me too. Thanks all.

8. andyz

andyz

Is this fixed yet? - just started getting it - annoying!!

9. andyz

andyz

Did you get any feedback on the bug report yet?
    Stops plugins building properly - this is a major bug/problem for me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  10. andeeeee

andeeeee

This bug was actually closed a few days ago since the project causing the error was not supplied and there was otherwise no way to reproduce it. If you can supply an example of a project with this bug then please can you file a new bug report (menu: Help > Report A Bug) and state that it may be related to case 384573.

11. andyz

andyz

Don't think this is practical andeeee - you would not be able to build it anyway without the correct certificates.

The exact error I get when doing an append build is: Error building Player: IOException: /Users/ProjectPath/Project/build/Data/Raw/.DS_Store already exists
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

12. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I bet you guys have a .DS_Store file in the streaming assets folder in your Unity project, and clever Mac OS is preventing us from copying that over into the build folders. I'll go experiment.

13. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Hmm. I think I am onto something. I have not yet been able to get a .DS_Store created in my Assets/StreamingAssets folder, but I do have one in my Data/Raw folder. I have found that if I create a hidden file in Assets/StreamingAssets (well, a file called .test) that does get copied over into the Raw folder. If I make the Raw version of it read-only, then the build fails, but with an error that says "Access to the path /blah.../Data/Raw/.test is denied". I still think the .DS_Store file has some special properties which is giving the IO Exception.

Can any of you confirm/deny whether you have a .DS_Store in your StreamingAssets folder?

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Hmm again. I now have a .DS_Store in both StreamingAssets and Data/Raw. I can still build just fine, so guess this issue is more subtle than I was thinking. Can anyone tell me any more about their setup? Perhaps one of the .DS_Store files has different permissions? (I note I cannot change the owner of a .DS_Store file to test this, which makes me think these files are "special" in some way.)

15. andyz

andyz

Unfortunately I don't have access to the Mac at the moment to check this - will look when I can.
    It may well be streaming asset related though as I did not used to have any and things worked fine.

16. andyz

andyz

This appears to be a problem with Streaming Assets for me. If I delete that folder it builds fine.
    If I put it back it comes up with the .DS_Store error.
    A hack around is to do clean build with this folder, then delete it and always do append builds (it will still exist in the build folder).

Why it would try and copy a hidden system file (.DS_Store) I have no idea!

17. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Bug 384573.

18. andyz

andyz

I thought I had a work around, but it seems not. I don't know the technicalities of the data\raw folder but it is just getting cleared all the time now.
    I hope a fix comes soon as building an app with streaming assets is painful until it's fixed.

19. jtbentley

jtbentley

This bug is driving me and others in the building absolutely insane :)

20. thieum

thieum

Hi,
    "error building player: IOE exception"
    I had the same trouble and I guess I found here the appropriate thread.
    In my case, the compilation error appeared after I deleted a dll file from my project.
    Obviously, my system needed a simple reboot, and everything is working fine again then...

So, in case some would panic and think of rebuilding the whole project :)°s), first try to reboot your machine ;°P