Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

All lights overexposed when upgrading project to Unity 5.3

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by olavrv, Dec 14, 2015.

1. olavrv

olavrv

All the lights in our project are overexposed when upgrading the project to Unity 5.3 - happens both in builds and inside the editor.

We are not using baked lightmaps, only realtime GI. Have tried to turn off all image effects on camera to see if this could be the cause, but it is not.

Running on Windows 10 x64 with Nvidia GeForce X 980 4MB with latest drivers

Unity_513f1.jpg Unity_530f4.jpg

2. JustinLarrabee

JustinLarrabee

These screenshots perfectly mirror the issues in my scenes as well. It's also extremely noticeable in darker scenes with bloom, the bloom effect itself is way overblown for the overall amount of light being emitted.

I also have the same exact hardware specs: Windows 10 x64, Nvidia GTX 980 4GB.

olavrv likes this.
  3. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Totally agree. In Unity 5.3 using Realtime Light and GI i get the light to be VERY overexposed.
    Also i see that with the same Lighting parameters i get a worst results!
    Is this a Bug?

4. olavrv

olavrv

My experience is that light intensity values are about 3 times as bright in 5.3 compared to previous versions of Unity

5. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Yeah. This is a BIG problem.
    My ArchVizPRO assets can't have differents light conditions depending on the Unity version.
    Hope they will fix it as soon as possible....

6. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi, are you using a custom meta pass for albedo/emission?
    It may also be ambient. We have fixed an issue in 5.3 with light probes where we multiplied by 2 in the wrong place. The fix is heading for a patch release asap but it is too soon to say which one. Now the probes and ambient is perfectly matching external reference tools.

Attached Files:

7. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Hello
    I am using only Standard Shader and Precomputed Realtime GI (directional specular).
    Overexposure is on static objects too.
    I am testing this issue with my last Interior, but each old scene i open in 5.3 have the same issue.
    I will post some screenshot of the problem asap.
    Thank you

8. JustinLarrabee

JustinLarrabee

I am not using anything custom, just standard shaders. I am also encountering this issue on static geometry.

9. veracious

veracious

I have the exact same problem. Here's screenshots from a simple scene where the problem is illustrated. I filed a bug of this just now, the case number is 756020.

directional.png directional specular.png

10. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Looks like directional specular is too bright, we are looking into the bug report. Thanks for reporting this!

11. bec_bunsen

bec_bunsen

Does this bug has been fixed in recent beta release?
    It still happens in the last release 5.3.1f1.

Where to track this issue? It's a real big problem when all your project lightings are wrong :/

12. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Totally agree... hope Unity will fix this bug asap.

13. idurvesh

idurvesh

Damn....Unity 5.3 broke lot of things in Lightmapping

14. kenshin

kenshin

15. AaronC

AaronC

If using 5.3 you will have to redo the lighting.

Yes it will take ages.

16. Ramon_Nae

Ramon_Nae

Any news on that topic?

We can't run certification process with the illumination broken. Suddenly all of our lights are too bright and the game is broken. We were forced to update from 5.2 to 5.3 because a bug in the 5.2 asset bundles... how the hell we could expect that 5.3 would broke the illumination? :(

We need a fix for that ASAP. We can't live this way, always with the fear to update but forced to do it. :(

17. Revick

Revick

Just upgraded and slammed with overexposure. Any news on the fix?

18. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Unity 5.3.1p4 ...... i get the same issue.. all is overexposed.
    Really is a BIG BIG problem !
    Please Unity give us a feedback
    Thank you

veracious and bec_bunsen like this.
  19. veracious

veracious

I've also been waiting for a fix for this since before christmas. None of the 5.3.x releases have fixed this yet. I've been stuck using 5.2.x releases because of this, no SSR for me ;~(

The case 756020 that I reported was just marked as a duplicate and closed.

ArchVizPRO likes this.
  20. olavrv

olavrv

We have adjusted all the lights in our project to suit the new lighting system. A lot of work, but the good news is that it now looks better than it did in the previous lighting system..

21. bec_bunsen

bec_bunsen

So I don't understand.
    The situation is not clear. What are we supposed to do?
    Does the lightning system has change and we have to set again all our project lights as Olavrv did?
    Or is this a confirmed bug that will be fixed in the near futur.

I mean everybody here doesn't want to waste time to redo and redo all their lighting.
    Could we have an official answer on this issue please?

ArchVizPRO, KnightPista and veracious like this.
  22. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Totally agree... an answer about this issue would be appreciated.

23. AaronC

AaronC

The info I have received is that the lighting setup is entirely overhauled (which is true) so a lot of re-adjusting lighting is entirely essential.
    It kind of had to happen because Beast was swallowed by Autodesk and Enlighten came along.

This having to redo lighting and materials is the surprise that no-one told us about.

24. veracious

veracious

No-one has told us about it still. At least I haven't seen any official responses from the Unity people on this.

25. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Yes... we don't have any official feedback from Unity. In my opinion the light is broke... directional specular is too bright... no sense to make this as default.

26. bec_bunsen

bec_bunsen

27. vision810

vision810

I think I have the same issue. The two images have the same parameters, only the GI mode changed from directional to directional specular.
    directional.jpg directional_specular.jpg

I tried adjusting the lighting parameters to compensate, but setting ambient intensity to a low enough number starts producing artifacts, making it unusable.
    adjusted.jpg

28. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

In Unity 5.3 Standard Shader, we have switched to GGX as the BRDF of choice for both analytical lights, such as point/directional light, but also for image based lighting. This produces wider specular highlights but gives a more realistic appearance. For more information visit: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/01/25/ggx-in-unity-5-3/

If you have upgraded to 5.3, the best solution would be to reconfigure your shaders and materials. If that is not feasible, you could turn GGX off. This can be done in two ways:
    • In your custom shaders add the following lines under CGPROGRAM:

#define UNITY_GLOSS_MATCHES_MARMOSET_TOOLBAG2 1
      #define UNITY_BRDF_GGX 0
    • Edit UnityStandardConfig.cginc file, which is located in Unity\Editor\Data\CGIncludes folder, and update the following definitions:

Line 38: #define UNITY_GLOSS_MATCHES_MARMOSET_TOOLBAG2 1
      Line 41: #define UNITY_BRDF_GGX 0

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    kei_kff, veracious and bec_bunsen like this.
  29. wad-meshcook

wad-meshcook

I have the exact same problem using directional specular (directional works just fine) since I've updated to 5.3. Even with the 5.3.3p2 I still got the same issue and it's a pain.
    Directional 5.3.jpg Directional specular 5.3.jpg

Attached Files:

softone and glhfGreg like this.
  30. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Really is "by Design" ???
    At this moment directional specular is totally useless... by design....
    Any chance to see a "real" fix in Unity 5.4 ?
    SpecularBUG.jpg
    Precomputed Realtime GI... 1 directional light and skybox (White).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  31. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

@Unity-Nikos The difference in every screenshot here is clearly not just the difference between GGX and blinn-phong, by the way.

Would be great to at least get this recognised as an issue, until it is, directional specular is unusable.

Unity-Nikos and softone like this.
  32. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Both Unity 5.3.4f1 and Unity 5.4.0b10 have the same issue.
    Unity please give us some feedback.

33. Monil

Monil

When this problem and mixed mode shadow will be solved I will upgrade to u5

34. bec_bunsen

bec_bunsen

Just adjusting only the shader paramaters fixed the problem for me.
    So clearly not as expensive as modifying all the lightings.

The solution about switching off GGX provided by Nikos did not worked for me thought.

35. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Did it works for you?? Wonderful!
    Are you using standard shader? Can please you explain me what to do?
    Thank you!

36. bec_bunsen

bec_bunsen

I use both standard and custom shaders.

My custom shaders are mainly vertexcolor shaders, so I just eventualy had to set again the multiply parameter.

For the standard shader, you can tweak around with your material smooth, specular or metal parameters to find back a good setting. ;)

37. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Since my material are all PBR, the values MUST be unchanged.
    I can't change values to get the right look.... it's against the basis of PBR. Materials must perform well in any lights conditions. We need a fix from Unity for Realtime GI Directional Specular.

38. protopop

protopop

I just updated from 5.2.2 to 5.3.4 and this happened to me too.

I just use the standard shader. No GI or baked shadowmaps. Just one sun and objects on a terrain.

I agree about the PBR. I thought that certain materials had certain specular etc values so that's what i have set them as.

Do we have to go through every material and change the specular value by eye? Isn't that going against how PBR values work?

If I can't figure this out I'll need to downgrade to 5.2 as I just submitted my game to Apple and can't move forward with updates using this system. I'd hate to do this because I am trying to get my game on Apple TV as well.

What has been everyone's work around?

PS i should mention I'm on IOS. Im getting the impression using Linear space might fix things? But only Gamma is available for IOS users.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  39. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

Switching from Enlighten 2.0 to 3.0, the byte order for the normal texture changed from ZYX to XYZ. Directional Specular Lightmap shader needed to be updated to reflect this. The updated shader will be included in the next version of Unity. In the meantime you could:
    1. Edit UnityGlobalIllumination.cginc file, which is located in [Unity Installation]\Editor\Data\CGIncludes folder, and update the following line:

Line 26: half3 realtimeNormal = realtimeNormalTex.xyz * 2 - 1;

2. Close Unity editor (if this was open), remove the Library folder from your project's folder and open the project again (this is necessary to ensure the updated shader has been loaded)

softone, GoGoGadget and protopop like this.
  40. reddotgames

reddotgames

@Unity-Nikos
    We did installed todays 5.3.4p1 and UnityGlobalIllumination.cginc have zyx all the time.

41. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

It should be fixed in the next patch release 5.3.4p2. In the meantime please follow the steps described above.

42. protopop

protopop

Just an update: i found most of the world objects still look good, but some, especially if they dont have bumpmapping are overbright. My solution is to darken the albedo texture or pull smoothness right up to the top. Ironically I seem to remember something in an earlier version abot brightness levels changing from 4 to 5 also. My sun is actually intensity 2 for the last year or so because of that but it looked great before. I guess now things are coded to look good at intensity 1 and ambient 1 (please dont quote me im just guessing and talking out loud...)

Im on IOS and dont use light probes. I get the feeling the new enlighten stuff is being optimised for high fidelity desktop scenes with reflection probes and light probes perhaps? But im not sure, just feels that way.

But aside from the badly exposed items, in general the rest of the new lighting looks really good in outdoor environments. I think this is something like many things in Unity they start out rough and unwelcome, and bloom into something indispensable. Good luck with the fixes, please remember mobile/lower fidelity devices and I'll keep tweaking. Im not going back to 5.2 because there are too many good things in 5.4 (and i want to target TVOS:)

kei_kff and ArchVizPRO like this.
  43. Xanthius

Xanthius

This is insanity. I have a project that we have been using 5.3.0f4 on. Lights baking worked ok (as well as Enlighten can bake). The Light Probes and Mixed directional light casting shadow worked as expected. We had to switch over to 5.3.4 for a mechanim fix. Now when I bake ALL of my probes look horrendous. There is a drastic blue/black underside shadow which never existed in the same exact scene in 5.3.0f4. I am beyond flustered with Unity's inconsistent lighting issues. Sorry for venting but I am considering biting the bullet and switching our entire studio to Unreal for the next project.

44. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

Xanthius, could you please send us a stripped down project (i.e. one object, scene lighting, skybox) and possibly some screenshots so we could investigate this. The best way to send this information is from the Unity editor by selecting Help/Report a bug.

45. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Here a simple scene... 1 plane, 1 sun, Light Probe.
    Lightprobe are broken.
    I know, you know, everybody knows.
    Please Unity fix this ASAP.
    Thank you
    Lightprobe.PNG

kenshin likes this.
  46. Xanthius

Xanthius

Hi Nikos. As you see in the image Argenzio posted, this is a standard behavior. There is another thread specifically complaining about this issue:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...te-direction-of-the-directional-light.378516/
    This almost made us miss our Steam submission. My current solution is bake in 5.3.0f4, copy over the lightmaps and scene and shoe horn it in our build machine running 5.3.4. Here is an image of the same EXACT scene in 5.3.0f4 on the left and 5.3.4 on the right. If this doesn't get fixed we will need to look into other solutions. Forgive my frustration but this bug is clearly known and well discussed.
    LightErrorUnity.jpg

47. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

48. Xanthius

Xanthius

49. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

From a first test seems that in Unity 5.3.4p2 the problem about overexposion in directional specular is fixed.
    Great work Unity!
    Thank you!

Now we only need a fix for the lightprobe issue... and we can start to work seriously :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    MrXee and protopop like this.
  50. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

Good news everyone! Light probes fix is coming in a patch near you - 5.3.5p3 that is - released on 10th June

Also available in 5.4.0b21 (released on 9th June)

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016