Search Unity

AI: Behaviour trees in Unity: Behave 1.1 released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryAnt, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Abdou23

Abdou23

What is the difference between Behave Playmaker ?!

2. goat

goat

I can't find any explanation on AIgameDev.com of behavior trees.

I'd like to see a video of a antagonist and protagonist in action based on Behave 2.0 for example:

So if each behavior tree were kept separately, various butterflies, various flowers, winds, rains, clouds, sun, moon, ...

i.e. The a game using the butterfly as the protagonist would be a game were the player tried to lead the butterfly to the 'good life', such as that is for butterflies.

Then if I make another game using honey bees instead of butterflies I wouldn't need to redo the behavior trees of the flowers, rains, clouds, sun, moon, and could continue to refine the if need be....

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

@Abdou23:
    Playmaker is a state machine designer and runtime, heavily integrated into Unity, with a set flow. Behave is a Behaviour Tree designer and runtime, heavily abstracted, allowing for more flexibility, but offering less direct Unity integration.

@goat:
    Here's a direct link for you: https://aigamedev.com/insider/presentations/behavior-trees/

With regards to your specific design, I suggest using the search on AIgameDev.com some more, to get some design inspiration from one of the countless behaviour tree articles and videos there.

Behave provides a nice programming language and IDE. It does not teach you how to be a good AI developer - aside from a chapter on design patterns in the documentation.

4. goat

goat

Oh, I see, it wants me to sign up at AIGameDev.com. Thanks.

Well no example or similar tact can teach anyone how to be a good programmer, AI or otherwise. A good example does speed the learning process and illustrate a level of capability of the behavioral tree implementation though.

Will Behave 2 have a good AI design example implemented for learning technical inspiration? Those examples on AIGameDev.com may or may not be using Behave 2.x.

5. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I reference the AIgameDev.com articles often since the way behaviour trees are "implemented" there and in Behave is pretty much the same - thus you can more or less cary lessons from there straight over.

As mentioned, the Behave documentation has a section on good design patterns and comes with a simple runtime example project. Neither will teach you how to do good AI - only how to do a good Behave implementation of your good AI.

Edit: Note that although the site asks you to sign up, that particular resources and many more are available for free accounts.

6. goat

goat

Thanks, I'm going to give designing one of these things with 1.4 a try and then upgrade.

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Do note that the 1.x decorator implementation is absolutely ridiculously stupid. A mistake which was corrected in 2.0.

8. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator