Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by mprogers123, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mprogers123

mprogers123

We have some students using Collaborate, and are occasionally have glitches because they are editing the same object in the same scene, almost the same location in a script, etc. Does Unity have a definitive list of do's and don'ts when it comes to working with Collaborate? I would like to be able to share that with my students.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @mprogers123! We're really happy to hear that some of your students are giving Collaborate a try! :D We don't have any general use Docs available yet and plan to rectify this before we exit beta.

That being said, the best advice I can give is to have your students practice communicating with their teammates so that they can plan out in advance which areas of their game they plan to work on to help them avoid conflicts. They could use a Trello board, a Google Doc, or some other shareable document to help them assign tasks to each other. That alone should greatly help to mitigate the number of conflicts that your students will run into.

For script conflicts they can install a merge/diff tool, like SourceGear's DiffMerge, to help them manually resolve those types of conflicts. When a conflict comes up, they can click on the External Diff Tool option for a single conflict in the Collab Toolbar to manually pick which parts of both users' changes they want to keep.

Those are the best general use tips I can give to help them avoid running into conflicts. Let us know if you have any other questions on how best to use Collab! :)

3. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Trello and Google Doc is great. In the order of complexity, I'd recommend:
    1. Google Doc (simple)
    2. Trello (medium tasks, SCRUM-ish). Not very good for code snippets tho.
    3. Asana (heavy tasks, super SCRUM-like). Can do code snippets.

If you don't like that one, I'm a fan of Tortoise Diff as an alt. (you may already have it installed if you use Git)