Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Adding files to collab outside of the assets folder

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by harvz16, Jan 13, 2017.

1. harvz16

harvz16

Hello,

My small team is trying to swap to collab and we're encountering an issue, files outside the assets folder are being ignored. We typically keep data files for our inhouse editor extensions outside the assets folder. Is there any way to include these files in the collab repo?

Thanks

juanitogan likes this.
  2. dtakahas

dtakahas

Hello!

There is currently not any way to include files outside of Assets in the collab repo. Early iterations of collab actually did allow this, but there were a few problems that made for a very poor experience. It's quite possible that it will make a comeback, but we have some UX issues to work out first.

3. harvz16

harvz16

Thanks for the quick reply. It's understandable that it was removed due to issues and I've just relocated the files into the Assets directory, though I do hope to be able to add custom files/folders to the collab in a future release.

4. Invertex

Invertex

I believe you can simply edit the .collabignore file in the root directory to allow, no?

5. esteban16108

esteban16108

Is there any news on this?

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

[CORRECTION] This feature is not available in any version of Collab at this time. I apologize for the inaccurate information. :(

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    tonialatalo and esteban16108 like this.
  7. rpuls

rpuls

Hi, I just updated the that particular version. I don't really see anything different... would you mind showing a screenshot and point to where i can access this new UI ? I really need to include some files that is in projectSetting in project root. The file in NOT collab ignored, so i really don't get why it is not being included, and I cant even see it from within unity as the filesystem only shows "assets" and "packages".... no projectSettings folder, allthough all of the files in that folder is being includede except my third parti settings file which I have now lost 3 thimes and spend 10 hours each time reverseengineering it....

ynkfish likes this.
  8. ynkfish

ynkfish

Hi, I would also like to know where we can add additional folders. I'm in Unity 2018.4.15f1 and have updated the collab package to 2.0.0 preview 17.

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I want to apologize. I mistakenly thought that we had added this feature in v2.0 of Collab. I just double checked with the team and confirmed that we attempted to add this option but ran into issues with allowing the UI to show changes that are outside of the Assets folder since they aren't handled by Unity's Asset Database, which is the main way that Collab is made aware of changes. I'm sorry for the misinformation and we will update you all if this changes.

10. tonytopper

tonytopper

One issue that I am trying to tackle related to this is having files in my Adobe Creative Cloud that are also in a Unity project. I am wondering if a hard symbolic link from within the assets folder to a sub-folder within my Creative Cloud Files folder would work.

Has anyone tried a hard symbolic link yet?

P.S. I do worry this will make maintaining the same project on different machines more difficult. It's already harder than I feel it should be.