Search Unity

Ad layout / displayed timer text strings

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by caroparo, May 15, 2017.

1. caroparo

caroparo

Hi, I'm using UnityAds with other game engine and a 3rd-party extension so I'm not too sure it's appropriate to ask here, but I'm hoping someone who's familiar with UnityAds could point me to the right direction on what to look into.

Here's my situation: I'm only testing UnityAds with a sample project/apk. The ads were initialized fine with my app, I can tweak how many seconds until it can be skipped etc, but the timers for skip and video length countdown are only displayed as circular cooldown timers, with no common text messages: "This video ends in N seconds", "You can skip this video in N seconds" which I had always found less offensive when ads are shown.

Screenshot: [imgur.com/lqQVdyB]

My question is: where can I configure these messages? Is it the extension author I should contact (I'm actually already trying to bother him), or the game engine team that makes the apk? Or did I overlook any settings on my test devices (tried physical Android 5, and emulated Android 7.0 with identical results)?

My Google results only showed that some cordova plugin seems to have these strings configurable in xml format:
    https://github.com/cranberrygame/co...lob/master/src/android/res/values/strings.xml

2. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Thanks for your feedback, however this particular case is actually an optimization based on our own A/B testing with users, which shows that the circular icons are being perceived better. So we don't have any plans of going back to the previous text-based layout.

Thanks,
    Rasmus

3. caroparo

caroparo

@rasmus-unity
    Thanks for the clarification! You mean this is an intended change of UnityAds? But I'm still seeing apps showing UnityAds with the text message ("this video ends in N seconds"). Is it only a matter of time the layout's propagated to all apps?

4. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

The text-based layout is still being used in Ads SDK 1.5, however that one is not being maintained anylonger. But if you play games which has integrated SDK 1.5, you will see the text-based layout.

/Rasmus

5. caroparo

caroparo

Thanks for the elaboration! =) Saved me from massive hair loss caused by me scratching my head.