Search Unity

Actual Unicode support in mobile: iOS and android

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by ratanki, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ratanki

ratanki

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out the actual unicode support of Unity for a few days now. The documentation, per https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Font.html, states:
    "Unity has full unicode support. Unicode text allows you to display German, French, Danish or Japanese characters that are usually not supported in an ASCII character set. You can also enter a lot of different special purpose characters like arrow signs or the option key sign, if your font supports it."

However, we have experienced issues accepting Emoji in input fields, and rendering them without TextMesh Pro. I have also been reading about problems with asian fonts and symbols, that are not fully supported. So I have the following questions for which would be nice to get some clarification:
    • What range of Unicode characters are actually supported in Unity 5.6 (mobile) without TextMesh Pro, both rendering and input?
      • The documentation states "full unicode support", however it goes on to specify only 4 languages.
      • Additionally asian fonts are known to not be supported.
      • Should the documentation be updated to better reflect the state of Unicode support?
      • For example, I believe gsub tables are not supported by either native Unity or TextMesh Pro as of today, which seem to be necessary for asian fonts?
    • Does TextMesh Pro add better support, besides adding emoji support?
      • I believe Stephan is working on adding gsub table support, but I'm not sure what other issues are still not being worked on.

Thank you,
    Raul.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Ardito92ITA likes this.