Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Controller Release

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Dec 21, 2013.

1. antoripa

antoripa

I was happy of the existing.. that reading about the new release drove me crazy!!!
    Any ETA? Do you need beta tester..I can do..

2. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha. :)

It should be out next week. I've got some beta testers helping me with it now.

In the mean time, you can take a sneak peak at the user's guide.

TeagansDad and antoripa like this.
  3. antoripa

antoripa

come on .. I cannot wait next week ....
    Seriously .. driver is what I was thinking for the AC ... I guess that with MC I can bind driver to actions .. don't I ?

4. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha. It's still baking. ;)

Right.

There are somethings with the upcoming release that the Camera Controller will do on it's own using transitions you setup (see documentation). However, if you want to change the camera style mid-gameplay, you can do it through the MC's motions.

antoripa likes this.
  5. Tryz

Tryz

As I mentioned in a previous post...

Adventure Camera 3.0 is coming!

Well, it's sort of here... ;)

ACR 3.0 is going to be re-branded as the Camera Controller. While it has all the features of the ACR v2, it includes a lot more. Including a 1st person camera motor, a spline motor for following paths, and even a top-down camera motor for MOBAs and strategy games.

If you you grab the latest ACR, you'll see the Camera Controller beta is included. Make sure you check out the user's guide and give it a drive. Let me know what you think.

Videos coming soon. :D

6. antoripa

antoripa

Grab from assest store ? I did yestarday and I cannot find the beta

7. Tryz

Tryz

In version 2.17, there's a "CameraController" folder along side the "AdventureCamera" folder:
    Assets/ootii/CameraController

You can check out the demos in the folder:
    Assets/ootii/CameraController/Demos/Scenes

Just remove (or disable) the ACR component from your "camera rig" GameObject and add the Camera Controller from the menu: Component | ootii | Camera Rigs | Camera Controller

Then, press the "3rd Person Style" button and you're all setup. The "Advanced" view has some additional options you can tweak.

http://www.ootii.com/Unity/CameraController/CCUsersGuide.pdf

TeagansDad and antoripa like this.
  8. Jick87

Jick87

@Tryz I just checked out the guide for the new version... Looks amazing! Great work! And thanks for making it available at no extra cost to existing customers. :) Can't wait to try it out in the project I'm working on.

I was wondering one thing though. Will it be possible to have automatic transitions between different camera modes based on things like the camera being blocked by geometry? Like, for example, transition from third person camera to first person camera if the view to the player is blocked but the thing that is blocking it is too close for the camera to move in any further?

I've been noticing in v2 that when that happens the camera can lock up sometimes and you can't move the camera anymore until the view is not blocked any longer.

Anyway, keep up the great work! :)

9. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @Jick87 ,

Thanks for the kind words.

A beta version of the Camera Controller is actually in the latest version of the asset. So, you can play with it now. :)

Demo Folder: Assets/ootii/CameraController/Demos/Scenes
    Component Folder: Assets/ootii/CameraController/Code/Cameras

I don't have any automatic transitions based on blocking geometry, but I've changed how the collision detection and response works. It feels much better to me and I haven't seen any locking issues.

What you're suggesting is interesting. If I allow a transition to trigger based on a minimum distance, that would work for going from 3rd person to 1st person. The trick would be knowing that we can leave the 1st person view since the 3rd person view is no longer processing.

There could also be an issue with movement. Your character controller may allow pivoting (ie Tomb Raider). It would have to know the camera changed so it could change to a 1st person strafing kind of controller.

I need to think about that more, but it's interesting...

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  10. Jick87

Jick87

Thanks @Tryz !

I had one question I just ran into if you don't mind... Which value(s) do you adjust to change the mouse sensitivity? I have a slider in my settings UI and I need to hook it up, but I wasn't sure which value I need to assign it to. Is it PitchSpeed and YawSpeed? If so, since I only have one slider, I assume I just set them both to the same value?

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Also, how does the calculations for sensitivity work in the adventure camera? Like, what would be a good minimum and maximum for a slider? Originally I had 0 as the min and 2 as the max, but I guess there is something it's getting multiplied/divided by because even at max/2 it seems really slow. (This is all only relevant if PitchSpeed and YawSpeed are the correct values to modify of course.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  11. biohazard9990

biohazard9990

Hi @Tryz for the Camera Controller, since I guess the character fades when the camera is too close, Is there some setting that allows you to set specific fading? Say I make a transition from 3rd person to 1st person camera and I use this tool (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28006) to separate my character's extremities with different materials (Headmaterial, torso material, arms material etc.). I set it up so that they all use the fade material. So in the motors i should be able to make a list with the materials i want to fade. Example in 3rd person I want to list all the materials for all the body parts but in 1st person I only want to fade the Headmaterial. Is that something you are thinking to implement?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. Tryz

Tryz

Each motor can have separate speeds. This makes sense since you may want the 3rd person camera to rotate slower than the 1st person camera.

Motors that use yaw and pitch typically inherit from YawPitchMotor.

To set them, you can do something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. CameraController lCameraRig = gameObject.GetComponent<CameraController>();
    2. YawPitchMotor lYawPitchMotor = lCameraRig.ActiveMotor as YawPitchMotor;
    3. if (lYawPitchMotor != null)
    4. {
    5.     lYawPitchMotor.YawSpeed = 2f;
    6.     lYawPitchMotor.PitchSpeed = lYawPitchMotor.YawSpeed * 0.5f;
    7. }
    Typically the pitch speed is slower than the yaw, but that's up to you.

I'm actually using velocity smoothing and the value is the factor of the smooth. 0 means no smoothing and 1 means a lot of smoothing. I typically keep it at 0.05 or 0.1.

I thought I had that in the tool tips, but I don't. I'll add it.

13. Tryz

Tryz

That's something I never thought about.

Fading is done at the "Camera Controller" level (at least right now), but the materials would need to be listed at the "motor" level. When the motor changes, I'd have to re-enable all the materials that aren't listed in the newly activated motor. I think that's all doable.

I'll add that to the list.

14. Tryz

Tryz

Yes. :)

I thought that was a good idea and I've implemented it. I'll push it out during my next update.

Great suggestion.

antoripa likes this.
  15. Tryz

Tryz

The Adventure Camera & Rig v3.0 is officially released...
    and it is now the Camera Controller!

(Yep... another free update from ootii :D)

It shouldn't be a surprise if you've been following the forum, but the name better fits what v3.0 can do. It includes all the features of the Adventure Camera and now supports 1st person views, top-down views, and more.

Asset Store | Documentation | Web Demo

Note: The Adventure Camera v2.19 is still included in the package in the "Assets/ootii/AdventureCamera" folder.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  16. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

The updates look great!

Since it seems the name of the camera script changed we'll have to update our custom scripts that use it I'm assuming- are the method's and variable names the same? Or will those have to be updated as well?

So if I want to keep using the "Adventure Rig" script for now but take advantage of some of the most recent updates you've made to it- is it safe for me to update to 2.19 and use the Adventure Rig script included with it?

Thanks for all the awesome tools! :)

17. Tryz

Tryz

Great questions...

In the asset are the Adventure Rig and Camera Controller. So, you can update to 2.19 (or even 3.0+) and just keep using the AdventureRig as you have. Everything will work as it has been. I plan on keeping the AdventureCamera folder there for a while.

The Camera Controller is a whole new component. If you want, you'd remove the Adventure Rig component from your "Camera Rig" GameObject and add the Camera Controller component.

When possible, I tried to keep variable names and function names the same. However, the concept of motors is new. So, custom scripts would need to change if you want to use it.

If you do decide to upgrade, I'm here to help. :)

18. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Awesome- thank you.

19. biohazard9990

biohazard9990

Wow that was fast. lol Nice. Thanx. I had another suggestion but didn't post it. Now I forgot :/

EDIT: Ok got it.

In Zelda you can focus on enemy targets and the camera will always face that target.

but now seeing that battle I remember I didn't mention this 'cause the camera is basically the same as the "aiming camera" already implemented. though this one would require the targets to be identified somehow and the camera would lock on to the target and not just be behind the PC.

oR IDK if that would be done more in MC. Maybe as part of the sword motion pack?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  20. Tryz

Tryz

Yeah, that feels like something that would be implemented in a combat pack. The camera would be the tool and the combat pack would use it.

Fortunately, that's what I'm working on next. ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  21. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

That sounds great! Are you planning to do a Dark Souls style targeting camera as well where the player pivots around the target? I built my own with its own collision system and switch back and forth from Adventure Cam when using it- but an integrated version with your superior collision system would be the best solution. Keep up the awesome work.

TeagansDad likes this.
  22. Tryz

Tryz

I'm actually figuring that out now.

It's been years since I've played Dark Soul's, but this video was a good refresher (at 4:30)

When you lock on, the character seems to always face the target. The camera seems to still be focused on the character, not the target. Does that sound right?

I also like the Shadow of Mordor combat style (which is like Arkham). I'll eventually support both.

imaginationrabbit and antoripa like this.
  23. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

That sounds right to me. The camera in all of the 3D Legend of Zelda games works pretty much the same way. Essentially, when you're moving around normally, it's a WalkRunPivot motion. Then when you lock on to a target, you switch to a WalkRunStrafe motion where your movement is relative to the target, but the camera is essentially still focused on you.

Tryz and antoripa like this.
  24. antoripa

antoripa

Hey .. .that's what I have doing since yesterday with MC and the new camera ( i started to do with the Beta Version ).. but I am a bit lost with vector, direction and rotation :)

Tryz likes this.
  25. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Cool! Yes, it allows you to run circles around the target while always facing it- you can move closer and further away- it just changes the cam pivot to the target and makes the player face it- I used transform.RotateAround in my solution-

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  26. Jick87

Jick87

@Tryz Thanks for the previous reply. It helps a lot! :)

Also, congrats on the full release, the new version looks great! ;)

I had one other question I just ran into. In the older version there was an option called "Anchor Orbits Camera" that was checked by default. In my particular project though I chose to have that unchecked. In the new version I don't see such an option anymore. Is that still possible to do? I'm using the "3rd Person Follow" motor.

Thanks for all your hard work! :)

Tryz likes this.
  27. Tryz

Tryz

Switch to the "3rd Person Fixed" motor. That will act like what you're wanting. :)

28. Jick87

Jick87

Ah, didn't think of that. Thanks! :)

Tryz likes this.
  29. emrys90

emrys90

I'm interested in possibly purchasing this asset for my game, but I have a few questions first.

Is it possible with this asset to set the camera's current rotation in code instead of relying on input? With how my multiplayer game is designed, z rotation is determined through a movement system that the server verifies. Basically using client prediction/server reconciliation.

Does the camera move in Update or FixedUpdate, if in Update is it relatively easy to change that? Being a multiplayer game my movement is in FixedUpdate and my understanding is a camera will look weird if moved in Update while the player is moved in FixedUpdate.

Can you zoom in and out in 3rd person with this camera? Basically I want to be able to start in 3rd person, but let a player zoom in. If they zoom in too much, then it switches to first person.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  30. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @emrys90 ,

Yes. If you're using one of the YawPitchMotors (3rd person, 1st person, etc) you can set the "LocalYaw" and "LocalPitch".

They are relative to the character the camera is following. So, local yaw of 0 means behind the character a local yaw of 180 means in front, etc.

Hopefully that makes sense.

It actually uses LateUpdate. This way the camera updates after the character.

Typically issues come in when the camera is updated before the character is updated. That can create jitters and other side effects.

I've not heard of the FixedUpdate vs. Update issue, but I've always stuck with LateUpdate for cameras.

You could modify the code to use FixedUpdate and it wouldn't be hard, but there's not option for that.

That isn't a feature that exist. The zoom is a field-of-view zoom. So, the camera really isn't changing distance. However, since the camera has different motors (including transitions), a transition could be expanded (coded) to use FOV and do what you're asking. It just wasn't something I thought about.

That's actually a good feature I'll write on my board. But, it doesn't exist today.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  31. emrys90

emrys90

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe we'll be going with this asset.

Tryz likes this.
  32. Tryz

Tryz

@emrys90 , The "camera motor" approach is working pretty well for me. With it, we can create new motors and transitions.

I plan on making one that uses the FOV "distance" you mentioned. I just need to finish the project I'm currently on first. :)

33. emrys90

emrys90

How do I get the camera to stay behind the player? As the player turns left/right, I want the camera to turn and always stay behind the player.

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I realized it already does that after I started setting the yaw/pitch apprioriately.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Tryz likes this.
  34. emrys90

emrys90

I'm having some jitter with rotating the player left and right though. I turned off your internal update and am calling CameraController.RigLateUpdate in my FixedUpdate method after I rotate the player. I thought that would fix the jitter, but it doesn't seem to. Any thoughts?

35. Tryz

Tryz

Jittering typically comes when the character and the camera are out of sync.

In the previous post, what do you mean "setting yaw/pitch" appropriately? I'm thinking this has something to do with it.

In the demo (click 'Next' to get to the 3rd Person Style)
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/CameraController/Demo/index.html

Holding the right mouse button rotates the character and the camera rotates with him. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

I'm not fully understanding what you're trying to do and why the 3rd Person Fixed or Fixed motor aren't what you describe.

Once i understand more, I think I can help.

36. emrys90

emrys90

My game has the camera locked behind the player at all times, there is no way to rotate the camera/player without rotating the other. I'm setting yaw/pitch using this
    ((YawPitchMotor)cameraController.ActiveMotor).SetTargetYawPitch(0f, exileEntity.MovementController.CameraAngle, 1000f);
    I did 1000f so that it rotates to that pitch instantly instead of animating to it.

I rotate my player using transform.Rotate

And then I call
    cameraController.RigLateUpdate(Time.fixedDeltaTime, 1);

37. Tryz

Tryz

Thoughts:
    It seems like you should be using the Fixed motor. It locks the camera behind the player all the time. When you rotate your character, the camera will rotate with it.

But, let's keep going...

Does your SetTargetYawPitch() have a 4th argument? I added an 'auto clear' argument, but I don't think I pushed that code out yet.

What could be happening with SetTargetYawPitch is that it is reaching the target and clearing the set target. Then, the character rotates and the camera isn't at the target and your call tells it to try and reach the target again. I actually added that 'auto clear' argument to keep the SetTargetYawPitch from needing to be repeatedly called. Being in a different update cycle than how I built it may exaggerate the starting and stopping.

Possible solutions:
    I would say try using the Fixed motor as that sounds like the real solution.

If for some reason you still want to go down the SetTargetYawPitch path, shoot me an email at tim@ootii.com and I can send you the latest (unreleased) build. We'll see if that new argument helps.

Finally, changing when I call the functions could introduce timing issues and cause stuttering. It just depends on how your overall update cycles runs. I would say to not move the camera's update cycle out of where I have it.

38. emrys90

emrys90

The Fixed motor doesn't allow pitch rotation though, right? I do want to have that. Just no yaw rotation.

39. Tryz

Tryz

Ahh... ok. You want the position to stay fixed behind the player (even if he rotates), the camera can pitch, but it can't yaw. Is that right?

That should be even easier. Use the 3rd Person Fixed motor and disable the Yaw. Then...

Instead of using SetTargetYawPitch (which rotates over time), do this:

CameraController lCameraController = gameObject.GetComponent<CameraController>();
    lCameraController.FrameForceToFollowAnchor = true;

You probably don't need that first line, but set 'FrameForceToFollowAnchor' each frame (as you were with SetTargetYawPitch).

I'll actually turn this into a check-box property for the next update. This way you don't have to write that code at all.

That should get you want you want. I tested here and it worked smoothly.

40. emrys90

emrys90

How would I then do pitch rotation if I'm not using input and shouldn't use SetTargetYawPitch?

I'm not sure if this is the best solution, but it seems to have resolved my jitter I believe. I moved the SetTargetYawPitch into an Update method instead of calling it in FixedUpdate, and switched back to your update calls instead of manually calling RigLateUpdate, and it seems to be working much better now.

Another problem I'm having though is with the camera collisions on a character that is close to the ground, like only 0.2 meters tall. It's working great for a character at 1.8m and at 1m, but with this small player it's having some troubles. I set it to only collide with the terrain layer. What's the best settings for a small character like this?

41. Tryz

Tryz

I didn't know you weren't using normal input. You should be able to still use the SetTargetYawPitch (with the FrameForceToFollowAnchor) and set the yaw property to 0. I haven't tried it though.

Having the jitter gone after moving it to update does make sense as Update runs every frame where FixedUpdate doesn't. So, if you think back to my explanation, the target is "turning off" and you're not turning it back on until the next FixedUpdate. In between then an update was happening and movement probably occurred.

For tiny characters, it's probably that the collision radius is too large. By default, it's 0.2.

So, if your character is 0.2 tall and the camera is even with your character (0.2 off the ground), a 0.2 collider radius immediately hits the ground. You can set it to something really small (ie 0.02) however, you'll have to watch for wall clipping as the near plane of your camera's frustum will be outside of the collision radius. When that happens, you can sometimes see through walls and ground if the camera is too close to the structure. That's just the way cameras and frustums work.

42. emrys90

emrys90

Makes sense, thanks.

Even at 0.02 radius it seems to have some issues. I have the camera looking all the way down, so it can't be anywhere near the terrain. The camera is much higher up in the air than it should be, like it's getting pushed away from the character. I turn off the collision checking and it gets much closer to the player.

43. Tryz

Tryz

Did you change the distance property?

You'll probably want to scale that too. The default "3 units" would be huge for a character only "0.2 units" tall.

44. emrys90

emrys90

That does seem to have done the trick. I was messing with the offsets not knowing about that property.

What would your recommendation be for this: the small creature is a lizard like shape, so kind of long with a tail, but really short. Anchor y offset I have at 0.2m, and distance at 1m. That's looking pretty good, except when I look up. Winds up having a lot of clipping through the players body. One thing I tried is making the distance larger, but I don't like that. You lose the sense of scale being so close to the creature on the ground. I messed around with the min distance property but didn't like the results of that too much either, winds up just going under the players body and you don't see much else.

Thanks for all the help!

45. Tryz

Tryz

Think of the "anchor" and offsets as defining the point you're following. Then, distance says how far away from that point we should stay.

Hmmm... This is an interesting challenge because (as you're finding) you quickly orbit into the ground. Let me play around a bit.

46. emrys90

emrys90

Thanks!

Is it possible to "orbit" around the player instead of just rotating the camera? So that as you look down the camera moves forward so that you can't see behind your character. I hope that makes sense. Almost like move the camera over an arc in front of the player, so when looking down you see more ahead of you and less behind you, while right now it's almost centered for same amount visible behind and ahead.

I promise my questions will start dying down soon lol, I think I'm getting close to being finished integrating this asset.

47. Tryz

Tryz

I'm not really understanding. When I think of "orbit", I think of what the "3rd Person Follow" and "3rd Person Fixed" motors do. But, I have a feeling you mean something different.

Can you draw what you mean on a screen shot and email it to tim@ootii.com? I think that will help me.

48. keepthachange

keepthachange

I dont think im useing this right? when i try to hold the arrow shoot button down the camera doesnt move and when i let it go (release) it goes up the camera?
    lol nvm.. I Was still using the other camera system i had..lol

It's been a long day lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  49. emrys90

emrys90

@Tryz Okay I just emailed you.

Tryz likes this.
  50. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @keepthachange ,

I'm not really following when you say "hold down the arrow shoot button the camera doesnt move". It seems to be for me, but maybe something is setup different.

Just to start clean, here's what I did...

1. Imported the latest MC
    2. Imported the latest Archery MP
    3. Imported the latest Camera Controller
    4. Opened the "AMP_Pivot_Demo" from the Archery MP demo folder
    5. On the "Camera Rig", removed the Orbit Rig
    6. On the "Camera Rig", added the Camera Controller
    7. On the Camera Controller, pressed "3rd Person Style"
    8. On the Camera Controller, made sure "Y_Bot Player" was the "Anchor"
    9. On the Camera Controller advanced view, enabled the two transitions (the first checkbox on each)
    10. On the Motion Controller's "Bow - Basic Attack" motion, checked "Release from Camera"
    11. On the Input Source, set "View Activator" to None

The last couple are optional.

With that done, holding the RMB would go to an aim mode. I could hold the RMB and hold the LMB to power the bow. During this time, I could rotate. When I released the LMB everything seemed to be fine. Same with the RMB.

If you want to email me your camera setup, I can look. There also might be something with how your Unity input is setup.

Feel free to email any screenshots to tim@ootii.com

BTW... I'll work on making the steps to glue all these together much shorter. :)

keepthachange likes this.