Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

_Time slower on older devices?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by naked_chicken, Jan 23, 2016.

1. naked_chicken

naked_chicken

I have a shader using _Time.x to pan a texture. I got it looking how I wanted on a iPhone 6s, but then when testing on a iPad and iPhone 5c, its moving super slow. Is the _Time speed different for different devices? If so, is there an easy way to combat this?

2. bgolus

bgolus

_Time.x is supposed to be time x 20 time / 20, you might try using _Time.y which is just time unmodified. It's possible there's a bug that on some platforms so _Time.x isn't being multiplied.

edit: cuz I dum

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. Michal_

Michal_

Little correction. _Time.x should be time / 20. _Time = (t/20, t, t*2, t*3). @bgolus is right otherwise, you probably want to use _Time.y.

Also, I saw a similar problem related to float precision. The animation wasn't just slow on some devices. It was jerky because of insufficient float precision. It turns out that fixed/half(lowp/mediump) is automatically converted to float(highp) on some mobile gpus and left untouched on others.

4. aubergine

aubergine

My experience with _Time.xyz values on mobile is that after some point they do reset or hit an infinite wall or something.
    Maybe a precision thing or not, i always use a custom timer which is clamped between some reasonable values and that prevents unwanted results.

5. bgolus

bgolus

Also on this topic you should pretty much always be using frac() when dealing with _Time, ie:
    uv.xy += frac(_Time.y * _uvPanSpeed.xy);

The precision of float starts to break down in UVs far more obviously if you don't; basically if the UVs themselves are big numbers the texture will start to appear to be a lower resolution or streaked. If you do the frac() they won't do this, but eventually the motion of the panning might become less smooth or stepped. If _Time is half / mediump this will happen in about a minute using _Time.y, with float / highp this should be ~5 days.

mipha_hg likes this.
  6. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

i have this issue too..
    how to solve this...