Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do i "Fraps" my game on iOS or Android

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Darknuke, May 19, 2011.

1. Darknuke

Darknuke

I say Fraps to avoid any confusion in what I'm looking for. I want to take a video of my app in action on the phone.

Are there any apps that will do that for me? Paid or Free (tho free is preferred obviously).

Doesn't have to be an app either. Is there any code that will video record for me, or literally any other way I'm not thinking of?

Thanks =)

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Dreamora

Dreamora

put it onto a table, put a camera on top and record.

you can't record the game on the device in realtime, recordings you see are normally from the iOS emulator with a mac screen recording software

3. Darknuke

Darknuke

Aw really? That's a bummer. That does help though. I'll just do the same or set up the tripod haha.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yyou could record from a standalone on the desktop with fraps - have it playback movements captured from a previous session from the device.

ie record all the inputs, play them back virtually on a standalone with fraps? might be an option for clearer video.

The purpose is to show gameplay footage. It doesn't really matter if the res is off or the framerate isn't exact, because neither would be accurate on youtube anyway. It is just for demonstration purposes.

5. dissidently

dissidently

A couple methods:

1. Use Fraps, and the simulator, and remote input from your device.
    2. Get an Android device with video output. Send that to a video recording device, handicam etc. Then ingest and edit.

EDIT: btw ipad2 has video mirroring to an external device, probably the most ideal solution for this, in combination with a handicam or other recording device.

6. Ostwind

Ostwind

If you can jailbreak then you can buy display recorder from cydia. Along with the video it can also has option to save all touch events over the video. It will capture video only so you need to record audio with a cable. Youtube probably has demo videos.

7. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

So, a jailbroken iPod/iPhone can be used for developing without problems?

8. prime31

prime31

@MyDrayton, I wouldn't say "without problems". I always keep one device jailbroken for testing and you do run into issues here and there. The biggest one is GameCenter will not work with it.

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

Why not? I have never any problems with it.