Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RoboArena - iPhone/Android game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by d2king10, Dec 16, 2010.

1. d2king10

d2king10

Hey guys, I have been messing around with a custom robot arena game for awhile. It would basically be a mix between Diablo and those old robot battle shows. I will release more information once I get more progress on the game :)

Anyhow, here is a web build that allows you to mix and match some of the parts. Right now it is just the hull, engine, and cockpit, but later I will add the weapons and stripes that you can add custom colors to.

http://jasongordy.com/pages/games/RoboArena.html

I have been trying to focus on optimization (in the graphics), to see how low I can get the final draw counts to be. Right now all the art will be sitting on one 512x512 texture, so multiple robots and items won't shoot up the draw calls. The webplayer is sitting at 4 draw calls (hull, cockpit, engine, and environment). Since the equipment is being drawn dynamically, it is going to count towards the draw calls, but since you won't be able to switch equipment mid battle, I will end up just combining them with the hulls to lower it some (if I can)

And here are some shots for people that don't like clicking links without images :D

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

-Jason
    www.jasongordy.com

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. RGKD

RGKD

I originally seen these assets after looking through your portfolio from the "3D Artist for Hire" thread, they are very cool. Its good to see an artist actually implementing their assets into Unity for their own project. Do you mind sharing how you do the colour swapping and custom object placement?

3. spinaljack

spinaljack

I like the art style, very cool and retro looking. I also love robot arena games, the more customisation options the better rather than just faster engine or more health. Nothing is too over complicated for me... doubt that would improve the accessibility though XD

4. d2king10

d2king10

For the color swapping, I basically have every model on 1 texture sheet, then with some code, I am shifting the entire UVs of the models. The colors in the demo are place holder, I would like to have camo type patterns and stuff for the robots that are more than just color swaps. As for the object placement, well, I am no coder, so the way I ended up doing certain things is more of a work around than the easiest solution. Basically, I have the parts duplicated and deactivated in their positions on the hulls. Once I call a part to display, it finds it as the child of that hull and activates it.

I am going to look into getting outlines on these guys, as long as it doesn't skyrocket the draw calls.

Thanks for the comments guys!

5. d2king10

d2king10

K guys, I updated the web player. You can now drive around, shoot, and see items drop. Items are already generated, similar to diablo with stats and quality/durability (just cant pick them up).Still rough, tomorrow I will probably start working on the weapon graphics.

Enjoy :)

6. Seraphim

Seraphim

I like what you've put together so far. One thing (I think?) I noticed is that it seems like the pivot point is off on the rotation controls.

Also: nice touch with the auto-flip (I purposefully tried to flip it over :D).

7. d2king10

d2king10

Yeah, some of the pivots may be off, I will have to check it once I animate the hulls.

Got another update up. Added the ability to lock on to targets (click to stop locking on). Locking on is the only way to see the targets health.
    -Item picking up (in this version I have lots of items dropping, but in the real game you might get 1 or 2 in a round).
    -Traps are added in and can cause damage to you. Spike trap, Saw trap, and Flame trap. I might add more traps later, we will see.
    -Floating damage numbers and item names. I had to be pretty crafty with the floating text to cut back on draw calls. Basically, I have it add up the draw calls into a string, and then outputs that string as a whole rather than each number individually. Only draw back to this is there can be a slight (.5 second) delay in damage output.

Enjoy

8. d2king10

d2king10

Alright guys, got another update for you.

Here are some changes:
    • Equipment now shows up depending on what you have equipped.
    • Several weapons are working (in this version you have equipped a saw, machine gun, gatling gun, and flamethrower.
    • Can catch enemies or yourself on fire.
    • All weapon graphics are done, just need to finish coding them all into the game.
    • Item levels can vary a bit from the level of the enemy.
    • A small bit of optimization.

Up next:
    • Finish coding all of the weapons.
    • HUD graphics.
    • Enemy A.I.
    • Equip menu, Shop menu, Event menu, and Custom Shop menu.
    (In that order)

Thanks!

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Definitely liking what I am seeing. Gonna keep my eye on this project. ;)

10. leonardoaraujo

leonardoaraujo

Very Nice! Did you actually tested the gameplay on iphone?

11. d2king10

d2king10

Thanks for the comments!

Unfortunately, I don't have a mac yet so I haven't been able to test it. As far as draw calls and optimized graphics go, that shouldn't be an issue, but I am a bit worried about code optimization for the iPhone (since I am not a coder). Either way, I will get it to work, and work good :) As for having the scripts run on iPhone, I have them all running with #pragma strict

I will keep you guys updated!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  12. d2king10

d2king10

Another update:

Got all of the weapons into the game and working (I equipped this version with machine gun, sentry gun, rocket launcher, and landmines).
    Hud in place, though it will probably go through some revisions before the game is done.
    Enemy AI is nearly complete, which you can see against the sentry guns.
    Enemies randomly generate equipped items at start of matches and it changes their looks.

After I finish the enemy AI, it will start coding them main menus and match screen and the game will be done :razz:

13. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Very nice so far.

One thing, the fact that I can't turn before moving makes it very frustrating. If I could rotate in place I'd be much happier.

That and a bigger arena would be nice.

Can I ask poly counts on your characters and what's size of your texture sheet?

Again, very cool start.

14. d2king10

d2king10

I wanted the driving to be semi realistic in the sense that you would have to back up or go forward to turn around, that way shooting enemies is a bit more challenging than sitting there.

Everything (including the hud graphics), are all on one 512x512 texture sheet.

There is nothing more than 300-400 triangles, so at one time on a screen I will have around 3k triangles (and the most draw calls I have seen are around 25).

I really tried to focus on optimization and get things as low as I can.

Thank you for playing!

15. d2king10

d2king10

Got some more goodies for you guys:

-Added in saving/loading (backspace will delete your save file for the time being).
    -Equip menu fully functioning (select the different options to equip the gear.
    -Escape in the battle arena will take you back to your shop.

Try collecting some things and equipping them :razz: