Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

$500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by yahodahan, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Thanks, I have yet to do a demon pass :) Hopefully the exterior will be more to theme.

Cheers Jay

2. TerraMeliorRPG

TerraMeliorRPG

Of course I have to start with the most brightly-lit room... :p Also, the textures are a work-in-progress.

Also, it took about 2.5 hours for me to calculate the lightmapping for this entire level. At low quality. I did have 1 lightray bounce tho, as well as ambient occlusion.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi there again, here just showing a little bit more of my work. This is is somekind of main hall or lobby in the Space Station, I still have to work in some illumination and textures. :)

$iHfd3ul.jpg

$NQxbGNc.jpg

http://masterofyngwie.imgur.com/all/#_=_

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

I figured I'd post a little status update. I haven't been able to spend too much time on it so I don't really have any new rooms to show off. Texturing with ProBuilder free, as I thought, sucks horribly; It's a huge pain and sucked up a lot of time I could've spent elsewhere. I don't know how different it is in the paid version but, at the moment, I don't really see myself using it for anything more than boxing out a scene in actual projects. That aside, I'm happy with how my scene has been progressing, even if I'm not as far along as I had hoped. Still a long way to go, but getting there ever so slowly.

Foreman's Office entrance, 2nd floor. Still a lot to do in this shot as well, but I figured I'd toss it up so that I don't just have the same boring picture.

The same area I started with. Tons left to do, add and tweak lights, more clutter, etc. I really wanted to use _just_ ProBuilder but since I can't use cylinders in the free version I'll have to add some things the old fashioned way.

Same shot with a brighter light so that you can see what's going on since I don't have all the lights in yet. As you can see, it's pretty bare still.

That looks brilliant, can't wait to see how it turns out.

The room looks very nice.

Looking good! I love the skybox.

5. johny

johny

Been incapacitated for the last few days so not much work got done on the project, but I did take your advise and brightened up the scene and added some more detail. I love how easy it is to make the probuilder cylinders into pipes and how fluent probuilder is a making rooms.

Direct link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53037760/AlmostDone.png

Almost done with this room, now working on a small cramped hallway and some kind of coms room.

6. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

I just have something to say, WOW! It looks freakin' awesome!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  7. johny

johny

Thanks man. I don't know though, still seems to be lacking something that I cant figure out.

8. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Ooh, I've gotta get ProBuilder soon. I doubt I'd be able to attend this contest, but at least I can watch it and see the winner :D. Some images are looking pretty neat so far.

9. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

That looks amazing! Good friggen job.

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sounds good! :)

11. yahodahan

yahodahan

Lookin' good, tons of detail here! Some of the textures seem a bit brightly colored/contrasting compared to others though, perhaps? Hard to say at this stage, assuming you have lots more adding/tweaking/etc planned.

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Cool- I like the extra detail on the pillar to player's left, in the second image. Details are what make a game
    good", IMHO, even if players only notice it subconsciously.

Just a quick note, you probably already know- character models/weapons won't be allowed as part of the final judging, just fyi. Great to see them here, love seeing that you/others have a working game using ProBuilder! Just, something to be aware of for the final images submitted :) Detail meshes are great, but character/weapon models would be an unfair advantage. Nice work though!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  13. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hey Brotherhood- texturing in the "Full" version is super quick and easy, and allows tons of customization. Here are some videos showing it in action:
    http://youtu.be/Z1bG7n4qeG4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWK90wvPjhw (also shows building, skip forward about 1/3)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHUJ44L4bgY (again, skip through just a short ways for the texturing)

Hope that helps understand the process, it's really very, very simple-yet-powerful to texture with the full version, and you can apply textures and edit settings (offset, tiling, rotation, etc) per each individual face!

Your WIP images are coming along nicely! Definitely like the one with a bit more lighting, though I know it's a hard balance to strike- dark and creepy, yet enough light to actually see for screenshots. Keep 'em coming! :)

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Love it! You've literally filled the scene with detail, and all the items "make sense" being there, very nice. The new lighting really helps too- doesn't kill the creepy mood, but manages to light everything just well enough. Perhaps tint that light a bit more blu-ish though? If it's coming from the blue force-field-thingy, it feels a bit too white, doesn't really match.

Liking how you've set up a story for us as well, with the ship, blood splats, fallen items...now I want to know what happened here!

Another FYI, similar to the "characters" note- do be careful how much of the scene is meshes vs ProBuilder objects. Detail meshes are definitely good, heavily encouraged, but I want everyone to have a fair shot at this, and of course to also keep major focus on ProBuilder. I'm guessing a lot of the scene here is meshes? My apologies if wrong :) It does look like quite a few items could be rebuilt as ProBuilder items, if needed- even the ship and repair-bot, perhaps. Love what you have here, just wanted to bring that up right away! :)

15. TerraMeliorRPG

TerraMeliorRPG

Thanks! I did end up changing the colors to make them more balanced, and I just realized that I lost almost all my bump mapping detail due to lightmapping. I think I have to change all my shaders and possibly use dual lightmaps. :\

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

To keep the bump mapping, you'll need to use Directional Lightmaps, actually :) Took me a little while to figure that one out!

17. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Another WIP image before I sleep, I kept in mind your advice and I get rid of my character just for the contest, from now on I will upload more pictures from the point of view of a simple camera:) Good Night!

$preview.png

$ee.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  18. Jesus

Jesus

What about as NPCs or Props. I've got a re-skinned Unity Bootcamp Guy or 4 standing guard at the entrance, and I think a couple of Unity Bootcamp Guy Remains (everything except an arm or leg shrunk to 0, etc) would help with the ambience.

Also, note to Unity Developers: Make it so you can cut a hole in your terrain. It's no good trying to make area 51 when my guy gets wedged between the top of the moving elevator and solid terrain. I just manually created, LOD'd, cut, welded and imported 50 thousand polygons to make the surrounding 25 square k's of Nevada.

19. johny

johny

Spent all day working on this one after re-making some of the props as pro-builder GameObjects.

Direct link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53037760/Tunnel.png

I used a directional light to try and do some ambient deep space purple coming through the window and made a metric S*** ton of pipes (Most off screen) but most of which I wasn't happy with. I am still not particularly happy with this either, seems too void of eye catching things and full of junk which annoys me, Unfortunately I cant think of what to change.

Also yahodahan could you link me to a indepth tutorial on how to use the Nodraw and other optimization tools?

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks JorgeLuis! Sorry to make you remove something that I'm sure you spent quite a bit of time on, this keeps it fair for all though, sticking to the "Level Design" contest theme. New images look neat! If you have the Full version of ProBuilder, you could align those textures on the supports, would add some realism to the look.

21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sorry, I need to keep characters completely out, since it is a purely Level Design/Mapping contest. Thanks for checking!

22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Cool, looking good! Thanks for doing some re-makes in PB, too. Whenever I get stuck, artistically, on a scene, I take a step back, re-think it in terms of "ok, what would ACTUALLY be here?". That usually leads me to realize a ton of stuff is just detail that makes no sense being there (delete or prefab for later), and that I need to add a large amount of real-world items to properly fill the area. The key for me is, taking that step back and out, viewing the scene as an outsider, with a purely logical perspective.

For the NoDraw, here's at least one video:
    http://youtu.be/EF3mmSwGI10

I'll try to go more in depth on it, but it's fairly simple- anything that will never be seen, should be NoDraw!

23. BigBite

BigBite

Hey Johny, I think it looks pretty damn good so far. My opinion would be to add some well placed lights for atmosphere. Actual mesh lights tho. Something the player can see. That will at least demand some attention from the player. You could use them to "point" or highlight objects of interest. I like the smoke particles you got going on. Maybe add some more too? And don't worry about being stuck. Currently I'm hitting a mental roadblock too. I would suggest maybe working on another area for a bit and then coming to this later. Hope I've giving you some constructive criticism, and good luck!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  24. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi I have one question, if I apply the collider material to an object, this material must not appear when I start the game isn't it?? Because I'm applying the same technique that is used in the ProBuilder tutorials for the stairs, but I can still see the green collider material :(

25. yahodahan

yahodahan

Good idea on the mesh lights to "direct" the player!

Are you following the old (ProBuilder 1.x) tutorial, by chance? You only apply the material in the old version of ProBuilder, in 2.0 you actually just select the object then hit "C" on your keyboard to make it a collider entity. Let me know if that solves it for you :)

26. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

Hi, I just find out about this contest and I think i will give it a try since I always want to try ProBuilder for Unity.
    Here is a reference board I made to help my visualize my scene.
    The scene will be based on the central concept, the bottom room will be changed for a aliens egg lair and the roof on the left will be more organic arch with some windows.
    I came late in the contest but hope to finish this in time ;)

27. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Thanks, that solved the problem ;)

28. Jesus

Jesus

Alright, starting to get a few floors mapped in and the master material lined up.

The map will be for a multiplayer fps sci-fi horror test; meaning lots of changes from the usual fps map designs. The idea is to have maybe 20 players on each side and 'permadeath' (kicked from game on death). Combined with the level design which incorporates both long open areas with multiple attack vectors and tight, claustrophobic labratories, this should work to wipe out the 'run-and-gun gameplay and move it towards slower, more tense, and deliberate combat.

$Ground_Floorplan.png

The attached image is the ground floor of the map. You can see the holding cells (bottom center), bio lab (top right), entrance (top center) as well as numerous offices and labs. The gap at the bottom near the holding cells leads to containment and storage, the stairs all lead to the first and second floor, which is the only way to get the elevator to the basement levels (extending hundreds of meters below).

I've raided the asset store for free stuff (like computers and vending machines and so on), and a fair few props and details meshes I can probably make with probuilder. Hopefully in the next few days I can post some rooms with props and a finished layout graybox.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  29. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

That looks much better than what I have to deal with currently. Basically I have to remake textures constantly and play around with the tiling until they line up on certain objects. As you can imagine, having to constantly remake textures sucks up a huge amount of time.

Thanks. I had put in a bunch more lights and a lot more detail objects but we lost power so I lost my work. It nearly gave me an aneurysm, haha. I really should save more often.

@Everyone else.
    I didn't feel like quoting your stuff individually but you guys and gals are pumping out some amazing work.

30. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great reference!

Good to hear :)

Looking good already, and don't worry about time- deadline is extended to the 10th of April! I'm so backed up, that was only announced on Facebook, but I'll make it official everywhere ASAP.

About detail meshes, sounds good, just to re-iterate though, make sure they don't "overshadow" the ProBuilder items, of course :) I do need to keep the focus on what ProBuilder can do.

A quick note on your image- judging by your textures, it looks like you might have stretched/scaled the ProBuilder objects? I can't tell for sure, but if so, that's going to cause issues. The major benefit of using ProBuilder is it's vertex/face editing, and the system is built to work with that. I could be wrong, but just in case. Looking forward to more!

Technically speaking, texturing shouldn't even be possible without the "Full" version of ProBuilder, but I'm happy to leave that loophole open at least until this contest is open, if not after. Just so long as people know it is much, much simpler and faster in the Full version :)

Sorry to hear you lost that work, I know that feeling..it's not fun!

31. johny

johny

Hey yahodahan . Any word on who the judges are yet? And have you decided on any runner up prizes?

32. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sorry, just getting around to posting them here!
    ~

Contest Judge #1- Samuli Viikinen

Samuli Viikinen started his professional game development career in 1996 at Remedy Entertainment, working on Max Payne as a Level Designer and later the Lead Level Designer.

After working on Max Payne, Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake at Remedy, he co-founded Recoil Games in 2006 where he is currently working as the Lead Level Designer. Recoil games has released two games so far, Rochard (PS3, Windows, Linux, Mac) in 2011 and Rock Runners (iOS) in 2013.

In addition to these Samuli has done freelancing and contract work for several other games companies including Rovio, Secret Exit, Fathammer, Futuremark and Ninai Games.

Many thanks to Samuli for lending his time and expertise!

$Samuli_Viikinen_work.png

~

Contest Judge #2, Eric Von Rothkirch

Eric von Rothkirch started out modding for the Quake series. In 2000 he was hired by Electronic Arts to design levels for 007: Agent Under Fire. He has also worked on Monolith’s N.O.L.F.2, and spent time as both a designer and audio director at 3D Realms, eventually joining Triptych Gearbox to ship Duke Nukem Forever. Currently, he spends most of his free time in Unity.

$EvR_Collage_620w.jpg

...more to be posted soon!

34. yahodahan

yahodahan

Lots of great info in this update!

Most importantly, the deadline has been officially extended until April 10th, 11:59 PM CST! This should make sure everyone, even those going to GDC/PAX, will have time to compete.

Secondly, CG Cookie has generously offered a full 1 Year membership to it's entire site of top-notch tutorials (including Unity Cookie, of course!), as part of the 1st Place prize!

We have also added a Runner Up prize- every tool we make (ProBuilder, ProGrids, QuickDecals, and QuickEdit),plus a 3 Month membership at CG Cookie. Enjoy!

Lastly, and perhaps most excitingly, ProBuilder is 25% off all the way till March 31st. If you are serious about the contest, and about level building in general, this is a great, great opportunity to jump right in!

35. johny

johny

Just my luck. My unity pro trail ran out, now all the effort I put into lighting is wasted. How many screenshots do you need? If its only 2 then I may just submit the 2 I did with pro.....Map looks silly without shadows.

36. karl_

karl_

Just bake your shadows! No need for realtime lighting for this contest.

37. Jesus

Jesus

Time for another update.

Significant changes to the proposed gameplay, it'll be 10 defenders vs 20 attackers, and I'm making the level much more defensible (straight away make it seem unbalanced against all player). There are longer hallways leading to small, maze-like clusters of dead-end rooms that should provide both a sense of dread and a very strong positional advantage for the remains of the defending team. If a defender were to back into one of the many rooms on the bottom right after taking shots down the hallway (fantastic visibility from there) and wait, they would be able to hear and ambush any approaching players. The varying surfaces (tied to materials/textures) would give off different sounds when stepped on, and distinctive audio (like footsteps hunting for you) is very important for this type of game.

$1F_Floorplan.png

Bear in mind this is one of the upper floors near ground level, so it won't be far-future sci-fi horror so much as near-future Area 51. The horror theme drastically intensifies at the lower levels, which are a claustrophobic maze way below (and will use more of the scifi textures in the gametextures pack).

Hopefully by that stage the remaining players will be few in number and sufficiently rattled by the demise of their team-mates to be nice and jumpy. That's the whole point of making it multiplayer and having the clean lab areas. You can't truly feel alone in a scifi area unless I kill your team in a place that looks a little less mad.

EDIT: I can't see any 90% of the pics posted in this thread, including my own. wtf?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  38. yahodahan

yahodahan

Like Karl mentioned, just bake 'em in. Don't forget to use Ambient Occlusion as well!

39. yahodahan

yahodahan

I think it's something to do with the recent Unity Forum update- my avatar seems to go missing every other day as well.

I love the detailed thought you've put into the gameplay and flow! Should make for a great map, and you have quite a map already.

One note- you'll want to bevel those corners for the best lightmaps, I know, it's a pain, but really makes a difference! Also, it can end up saving you quite a bit of lightmap texture space if you use NoDraw on the inner faces.

40. TerraMeliorRPG

TerraMeliorRPG

Thanks! You've saved me from having to bake both to see how they look :D Unfortunately, my tendonitis struck again this week so I don't have many improvements to show right now... :\

41. Tarkriel

Tarkriel

Start making some modular assets, need few more and I will start making my scene.

42. yahodahan

yahodahan

Glad to help, and sorry hear :( Makes we want to get away from this keyboard before it's too late!

Very cool! Modular is the way to go. Might be good to texture them also, before you start placing them around?

43. TerraMeliorRPG

TerraMeliorRPG

Definitely - be careful with your hands! If you're having problems with them already, I highly recommend fish oil pills, an ergonomic keyboard, and icing your wrists and forearms when they get sore.

44. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

I seem to have found the same source of inspiration as you. ;)

I'm currently working on modular textures, found a awesome book for this: 3D Game Textures (Link)

45. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi, just a quick update of the project :) in this image I'm showing like a "welcome" main entrance to the rooms(crew rooms, kitchen, lab, machine room, etc) :) One image before and after fixing the lights and shadows :)

I'm having the same problem many images can't be seen, unless I open this forum thread in Internet Explorer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  46. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

I haven't really posted anything these past few days, so here's a shot of where my room is at currently.

Everything was made with ProBuilder except for the barrels as I'm unable to make cylindrical shapes with the free version. There's a few more things I'd like to add and some I'd like to change, but I'm pretty happy with it overall. I'll try adding updates every now and then, but I'm going to be terribly busy come next week.

It's not really proper texturing. The texture itself just gets stretched over the whole object, I just have to play with tiling and the texture itself to try and make something half presentable. As you can imagine, some of them look quite terrible close-up since the texture is repeated on all sides.

That reminds me. I noticed in the update that we have to send the whole project now. Are the judges actually going to be "walking-through" the level? Because, if so, I really need to start adding colliders, fill out some nooks and crannies, toss in a character controller, etc.

47. yahodahan

yahodahan

Actually, I am able see your images fine on Chrome. Unity Forums are really messing up lately. Images are on/off randomly. Liking the new images!

Cool, looks good! Don't be afraid to add detail meshes, like the barrels/etc, that's definitely a good thing. Your scene is looking great! Good lighting, though perhaps a little dim, or maybe just needs a hot spot here/there...very nice though, and tons of detail! Impressed that you and Johny have been able to do so much "texturing" with the free version.

Judges will be looking mainly at screenshots, and just using the project to ensure everything is proper. So, no worries about collision/etc!

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

Well, it's been 2 weeks, so I'll have to give out 2 "Best WIP Prizes" this Saturday. Right about midnight here (CST), I'll choose the two best WIP images so far, and give out some free tools!

12 hours to go, hoping to see even more updates by then! :)

49. JorgeLuis

JorgeLuis

Hi, Do we have to send the entire project???? or just the executable? because mine it's a large size project

50. yahodahan

yahodahan

For the final submission (not for WIP prizes, of course), I'll need the full project. Simplest way is to zip it, then just place in Dropbox and send a link once it's finished uploading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.