Search Unity

5.6 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

What errors is it throwing?

2. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Can you get me a callstack for the crash?

3. abhi360

abhi360

Unity 5.6 APIUpdater not taking into account the smcs.rsp, gmcs.rsp and mcs.rsp. Can't build as unsafe code is not being compiled by editor giving error API update failed : unsafe code may only appear if compiling with / unsafe

4. Programmer-David

Programmer-David

Hey, I just installed 5.6.0f3 and can not find nintendo switch as a supported platforms in the build settings. Isn't it supposed to be supported?

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. Coatsink

Coatsink

When is patch 1 scheduled?

6. MartyCoatsink

MartyCoatsink

Can't wait to try this

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It's coming in a separate build provided by Nintendo as far as I understood

8. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

In ~ 2 weeks.

9. insomniaunleashed

insomniaunleashed

good work guys, i am now excited to go home and try out this version with the Hair Tool which always throws an error on the compute shader on scene load

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Excuse me, wtf?!

Jk. Just surprised 5.6 is already out. :O

meanwhile... still on 5.4.3f1... :D

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This I can confirm for other Nintendo platforms, I shall say no more, other than they are probably doing the same for switch.

12. vx4

vx4

What this?
    "Graphics: Support for Procedural Instancing, where instance data is supplied via a custom source in the Shader, rather than from Material Property Blocks."

13. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Our docs team are currently working on integrating the changes into the manual, and yes, we will be refreshing the lighting tutorials :)

14. IngeJones

IngeJones

I have been using the Beta builds, and the latest I installed was 5.6.0f1 So I am a bit puzzled why, when 5.6.0f3 becomes the full release, Help/Check for Updates does not alert me to it? I expected update checking not to check against beta builds but would have expected to be told the full release was a later build.

15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think updates alterts only work within the same version number. so if your on 5.5 you will get an update 5.5.1 but not for 5.6

and beta's are excluded

16. IngeJones

IngeJones

I guess the comparing only gets as far as the revision number and all is lost by the time it gets to the f3 :D

17. rsodre

rsodre

Wasn't the new OTOY integration supposed to come with 5.6?

18. IngeJones

IngeJones

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Is there a way to get proper hardware FSAA? The per-camera AA in 5.6 is poor and doesn't work with the UI canvas.

--Eric

20. huangyous

huangyous

When will automated tests in platform players be supported in Unity Test Runner? I've read [5.6 DRAFT] Unity Test Runner docs and it says platform players are not currently supported.Running tests on Android device is very important to our integration test with jenkins.Will you fix this in the 5.6 cycle?

21. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't really need it but, just in case, what torrents client do you guys use? Which is the safest and so on.

23. Player7

Player7

qbittorrent pretty much picks up where utorrent v3 went off the ad cliff for me.. its about as good .. also has source available.

24. tawdry

tawdry

Initial thoughts just on the look hate it. The red lettering is very distracting and makes it harder to see the important things such as the black colored numbers. (using personal)
    Also is it a bug for me or is it not possible to choose the object you want via clicking it in the hierarchy anymore? if this is working as intended then that is a absurd change!!!!!!.all that happens when i click on hierarchy is a 3 item menu with name type or all option.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

What red lettering, where? Also I have no problem selecting an object in the hierarchy view; I do that all the time.

26. Ostwind

Ostwind

What red lettering? For the click bug try it with a new project or at least with a project with no external addons as they might not be upgraded yet.

27. tawdry

tawdry

Here is what my screen looks like. I have no extrnal addons far as i know will try a blank project though. red.png

28. Ostwind

Ostwind

That's not a normal view and looks like it's pretty broken.

29. tawdry

tawdry

Just needed to restart the application first time had this kind of an issue.

30. tawdry

tawdry

Yea lol i was like wtf do they really think this is the way to go

31. larku

larku

Have you tried the following?

1. Reset layout to factory defaults using the layout menu top right
    2. Close Unity Delete the Library and Temp folders and reopen
    That often helps with these types of weirdness.

32. tawdry

tawdry

restarting worked but forgot to try the default layout thats been a annoyance saver in the past

33. rh73

rh73

Hi there. I upgraded to 5.6.0f3 but now I'm experiencing severe stuttering/lags when using the fly mode in the editor's scene view window (WASD + right mouse). Especially when flying forward/backward with SHIFT pressed, the scene view freezes for up to 2-3 seconds, then jumps to the new position which makes it extremely frustrating to navigate as you can imagine. Looking at the profiler for the edit mode there doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong, it looks like Unity keeps rendering, just doesn't show anything. I've tried a reinstall, and installing the 32bit version of f3 as well, problem persists. Updated my graphics drivers to the newest version, didn't change anything.

This did not occur in the last beta I was using, 5.6.0b6 64bit - and still doesn't, I still got that one installed and navigation in the scene view is working smooth there.

I'm now trying the in-between releases, currently installing 5.6.0f2. And I've noticed that it's not possible to download 5.6.0b6 anymore, so I'm hesitating to uninstall that version to check if there might be some sort of issue with having more than one Unity install on my system.

Did anybody run into the same issue? What kind of information could I provide about my system/hardware, and how? Sorry if that's a dumb question, it's the first time I'm trying to report a Unity bug.

Edit: same problem with Unity 5.6.0f2, 5.6.0f1 and 5.6.0b11...

After searching online for editor performance problems/lags I found a post suggesting to enforce OpenGL instead of DirectX11. So I added "-force-opengl" to the shortcut, and the lags are gone, now using 5.6.0f3 again. But this is still weird because DX11 mode is working fine in the beta6, and was working fine Unity versions before that.

Either way, it seems there is some problem with DX11 mode in the scene view of newer Unity versions, probably related to my GPU or drivers? I've got a XFX Radeon 7850 with 4GB DDR5, drivers are "Radeon Software Version 17.2.1" which is currently the newest version available.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  34. IngeJones

IngeJones

Isn't the red text to do with the fact you have a compile error, and it's warning you that none of the values in your editor are properly calculated due to that? What happens if you fix the error first?

35. cvasquez-coiron

cvasquez-coiron

For Daydream/Android development, Unity 5.6.0b11 (64-bit) works better for us than Unity 5.6.0f3 (64-bit).
    Check out the visual artifacts we get using the latest official release versus beta 11:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-6-released.463793/page-2#post-3019837

36. arcturgray

arcturgray

rh73,
    I had same issues, and to fix that you simply have to... open youtube. Seriously, for some strange reason if there is no any additional workload, scene view starts to lag when in fly mode. So now I just have to start some video, press pause and keep browser opened in the background. I had Radeon 290. I saw some topic about it, and it seems like sometimes it just happens. Don't know why

rh73 likes this.
  37. tawdry

tawdry

I am switching back to 5.5 5.6 has all sorts of niggles constantly crashing for me ill try it out again when they release the next update hopefully it will be stable then

38. rh73

rh73

What. The. Heck.

That actually works! There's still some occasional stutter, so OpenGL is still a bit "smoother", but the multi-second lags are completely gone when I keep a youtoube video open in the background. Thanks a lot for the hint, arcturgray!

Edit: I've experimented a bit with this workaround, since I assumed that youtube is not the only possible solution here (and it's not suitable when you don't have constant internet access either). Here's what I found so far, hopefully it helps the Unity team to pinpoint the source of this annoying bug:

- When using a youtube video, it seems to be necessary that the video is open in the currently active tab in the browser (I've only tested Chrome so far), and the browser window must not be minimized.
    - Some other streaming websites don't work as a "fix", some do - and with some it's even possible to minimize the browser window for some reason.
    - Having a browser tab with a Unity WebGL game open works, too (verified with one of my own projects which is hosted on itch.io).
    - Having a stand-alone Unity game open works, too, and it can be minimized (verified with own projects and a bunch of Steam games).
    - Having an Unreal game (verified with "Line of Sight") open works, too.
    - Even having standard Minesweeper open works, and you can also minimize it.

In conclusion, it looks like this has something to do with needing another game or application running which also uses some GPU resources to avoid lags in Unity's scene view window... I assume this bug managed to fly under the QA team's radar because it's unusual to have Unity as the sole active application, and maybe only occurs on (some?) Radeon GPUs? Oh and I've also noticed that this bug occurs in Unity 5.6.0b6, so forget what I said earlier about that version working fine, seems I always had some other stuff running there too. By the way, I'm using Windows 7 Professional so possibly this is exclusive to that OS version as well.

Thanks again @arturgray!!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    GorrionMW likes this.
  39. Tzan

Tzan

If I was a news reporting blogger, my title would be:
    "The one weird way that Microsoft Minesweeper improves Unity Editor performance!"

Socrates likes this.
  40. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Ah, this is a very old bug: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/scene-view-navigation-with-wasd-very-laggy.380100/

Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it comes back...

edit: case https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/scene-view-navigation-delays

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  41. rh73

rh73

Interesting. I've been playing around with various Unity versions for a while now, maybe 2 years or so (had to make a new account after changing ISP and not having access to my old email anymore). But it's the first time I've run into that bug... and it's also the first time I'm using Unity in a dual monitor setup, so maybe that's the real issue.

42. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

any plan to activate the GPU profiler on sierra/460 ati? it should work by then

43. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Are you sure you are don't have any editor script changing editor guistyles?

It's hard to tell, I never had a dual monitor setup and I'm having this issue since 5.1 iirc..

44. rh73

rh73

I mentioned multi-monitor because one of the links you posted claimed the bug only occurs in dual monitor settings. But it's quite possible that I've always had "some stuff" running parallel in the past in which case the bug doesn't occur like suggested by arcturgray. I was also using another GPU/CPU combination back then. Maybe I'll try out older Unity versions out of curiosity when I find some time, but right now I'm happy with the workaround.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  45. Velo222

Velo222

Just wanted to report a bug or two I'm having with 5.6.0f3:

First bug: I am getting the same error 999+ times in the console when I start my game, after having upgraded my project from Unity 5.5 to Unity 5.6.0f3.

The error is: "In order to call GetTransformInfoExpectUpToDate, RendererUpdateManager.UpdateAll must be called first." There is no more information other than that (i.e. no script that its called from or anything is given).

The error occurs about 3 to 4 seconds after the start of my game -- and like I said I get 999+ of them immediately.

Second bug: When my project was importing during upgrading to 5.6.0f3, the Physics matrix reset to default, and all of my layers reset to default. I had about 23-25 layers named and being used in my game, but now it shows just the default layers when I go to the layers menu, and it also has "no name" (i.e. a blank space for the layer name -- for all of my objects in my scene hierarchy that were NOT using a default layer). The weird thing is that all of the actual Physics in the game seems to be behaving as if my previous layers exist, but the names are not there, and the Physics matrix doesn't show them.

46. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Ah, I see. Anyways, it's a very weird and annoying bug and it's a shame that they postponed (and gave no reason)... Kind of reason that makes me want to switch engines..

47. Ferazel

Ferazel

Cool, did you actually report a bug via the bug reporter though? Unity doesn't usually fix issues reported on the forum unless they have an official bug report.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

The installer needs to be fixed. I chose a precise location for the Example project but the installer installed it in the public documents.

49. s_guy

s_guy

Getting varied client crashes in SkinnedMeshRenderer::RendererBecameVisible for standalone build only after going from 5.4 to 5.6.0f3.

Anybody else seeing this? I'm not seeing it in the reported issue tracker.
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?901468_4mrpm4idv51qfcpb

Thought I'd mention that I seem to have been able to workaround some triggers of this crash by not setting a skinned mesh from inactive to active by animation. Remaining causes seem to be related to instantiation of skinned mesh prefabs or moving the camera to them.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  50. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Any news on mobile webgl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.