Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.6.1p2 breaks touch input

Discussion in 'Android' started by Aurigan, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Aurigan

Aurigan

2. Aurigan

Aurigan

Bump! These screen dimmer apps have *millions* of installs ... this issue will affect a significant % of potential players.

Edit - giving up on a response from Unity, reported as a bug (919051), rolling back to the previous patch version for now :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    neonxu likes this.
  3. Aurigan

Aurigan

Unity now looking at this - for anyone else encountering this it appears not to be an issue on later (7+ ?) versions of Android, <=6 shows the behavior with both Unity UI and NGUI.

4. Rod-Green

Rod-Green

What a horrible 'fix' 900191 is (Android: Dropped obscured touch events to prevent tapjacking).

Why change a fundamental component of how the engine handles input without either;
    a) providing an option to turn it off or on (should be off by default)
    b) testing adequately on a typical and not so typical 'in the wild' device to identify that in fact a LOT of different apps use overlays and they aren't all about tapjacking.

This needs to be fixed ASAP.

5. Evaldas_Unity

Evaldas_Unity

Unity Technologies

6. Rod-Green

Rod-Green

Any idea when it'll be released? Is there a way we can detect if a user has an overlay that might affect it?
    Ideally, the best solution is this option on build + the ability to warn the player that their overlay will prevent the app from running correctly if enabled.

7. Aurigan

Aurigan

This breaks Unity games for hundreds of thousands to millions of people. It should have been reverted *immediately* until you worked out a better solution. Instead it's been sidelined for nearly a month already and there's still no fix available ... the issue tracker saying it's 'fixed in a future version' is worthless.

8. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

How do you know? An overlay can in fact use your touches to, for example, click ads. Or probably even log your touches.

That makes sense to me, however looks like most users don't care about security at all.

The checkbox in the Player settings to disable this touch filtering is already in 2017.2. We are backporting it to earlier versions which received the tapjacking update.

9. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

I would appreciate if you let us decide what to do. Thanks!

10. Aurigan

Aurigan

Hm, Unity broke builds for a significant % of the user base, ignored the issue for several weeks, continued to roll it into multiple further Unity versions, failed to list it as known in any of the patch notes, wasted many developers time in having to discover this for themselves, caused untold bad app ratings and uninstalls when players couldn't get a game to work and are still pushing for this setting to be included in future versions. It's nuts that this change made it live in the first place but to take a month to handle it is kinda ridiculous. Whoever is making decisions about this feature/issue is doing a terrible job.

'Allow overlays' has no place in a game engine. The Chase banking app doesn't stop functioning with overlays so why on earth would a game? If you want to make this a personal crusade take it up with Google, convince them to change their security model to have Android block overlays by default. It's simply not a useful feature for Unity itself to include.

neonxu likes this.
  11. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I've released an update yesterday with 5.5.4p1 and received three 1 star reviews in a row today. I wasn't sure what was the problem until I found this thread, I guess that's it as previous version was built with 5.5.4f1 and p1 seems to have that setting added too.

Few review samples: "The app doesn't even respond to what I tap.." or "I can't give too many stars because I can't even play it. I get on the app then try pressing the play button, but it won't let me get past the first screen."

I think I'll revert back to see what happens...

12. neonxu

neonxu

Need to fix this bug urgent +1

The problem is very bad, lowering our game rating.

13. econquer

econquer

Please fix this bug!
    This bug leaves the users.

14. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

The fix is coming. 5.6.2p2 is receiving it. The older versions get it with the next patch release.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We are, it's not like we can stop you or that you ask us what to do.

I hope you can understand that it's easy to get frustrated when things break in our games by things outside of our control.

16. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@AcidArrow I agree this issue appeared to be very frustrating - hardening the security stroke back. Sorry for all the inconvenience; as I said, the fix is coming to the nearest patch releases.

AcidArrow likes this.
  17. jknight-nc

jknight-nc

>'Allow overlays' has no place in a game engine.

Agreed. Fixing fundamental security holes in the Android OS should not be Unity's responsibility in the first place, let alone the flawed nature of the fix.

18. achrenico

achrenico

You added a new untested feature into a patch release and that caused a lot of harm, just to let you know. In general, using devs as beta testers may yield some critical yet valuable feedback which should not be responded with arrogance.

19. WDudderz

WDudderz

What is the setting called? I can't see anything relevant in 5.6.2p2 Player Settings.

Thanks!

20. Aurigan

Aurigan

There's no setting, the feature was simply removed.

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases/5.6.2p2:

aussawa77 likes this.
  21. aussawa77

aussawa77

any solution for this issue? I use 2017.1.2p1.

22. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Make sure "Filter Touches When Obscured" is not selected in Player Settings -> Other Settings.

23. aussawa77

aussawa77

24. Evaldas_Unity

Evaldas_Unity

Unity Technologies

Here's a picture to help you identify the checkbox:
    https://forum.unity.com/attachments/unity_2017-08-07_17-08-36-png.241964/

The tick box appears on 2017.2 and newer. On older versions, the functionality was simply removed.

From issuetracker (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...android-screen-unity-apps-ignore-touch-events):
    Anti tapjack measures removed in: 5.5.4p2, 5.6.2p2, 2017.1.0f3
    A new toggle "Filter Touches When Obscured" in Player Settings > Other Settings > Configuration added to 2017.2.0b2 and other upcoming versions.​