Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

5.6.0f1 crunch compressed textures not displaying when built

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by donnysobonny, Mar 25, 2017.

1. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

Tested on windows and webgl builds, when enabling crunch compression on textures, the textures don't appear to render at all in game. In some cases, errors will be generated saying something along the lines of "failed to get texture info" and such (apologies for being vague on that part, i've been unable to work out how to replicate those errors consistently).

As the image below shows, with crunch compression disabled, the sprite is shown fine in the game view.

no crunch.png

And with crunch compression enabled, the sprite is not shown correctly:

crunch.png

Some additional notes:
    • same results on windows and webgl builds
    • tested on two machines with different graphics processors, both windows 10, same results
    • changing the "Compressor Quality" slider doesn't appear to do anything (based on another post)
    • mip maps enabled/disabled doesn't make a difference (based on another post)

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here? If it's worth filing a bug report for this let me know.

UPDATE

Setting the "Compression" option to "High Quality" seems to fix the problem. The above issue seems to be the case for both Low/High Quality compression.

UPDATE 2

finally managed to catch the error that gets thrown:

Failed getting crunch texture info.
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Graphics/CrunchCompression.cpp Line: 24)

DoDeCruncherJob failed.
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Graphics/AsyncUploadManager.cpp Line: 323)

Failed getting crunch texture info.
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Graphics/CrunchCompression.cpp Line: 24)

Failed to decompress Crunch texture data (size 1024x1024 format 29 mips 11)
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Graphics/Texture.cpp Line: 524)

AsyncResourceUpload failed.
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Graphics/AsyncUploadManager.cpp Line: 594)

UPDATE 3

Solved it: setting "Read/Write Enabled" on the texture's import settings seems to fix the issue. Hopefully this helps. Let me know though if it's worth filing a bug report.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi Donny,
    Thanks for your help. Bug should be fixed in f2. Could you please check it out and confirm?