Search Unity

5.6.0b3 freezes while switching platforms from Win to Android (with Google VR SDK asset pckg)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jesse_DuBord, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jesse_DuBord

Jesse_DuBord

I added the Google VR SDK to a new 3D project, but when I go to Build Settings, change platform to Android and click "Switch Platform", Unity opens a new dialog window saying "Hold On" and freezes at various times when it gets to .png files within the Google VR SDK asset package, forcing me to close the program and restart it. I can't successfully get it to switch to Android platform with the Google VR SDK asset package presently imported in the project. Switching the platform then adding the asset package afterwards will produce the same issue: shows progress bar and freezes at different times (varies on each attempt). This bug is not present in the Windows builds of 5.6b3 -- it works like a charm in Windows.

Screenshot (after waiting 8 minutes for progress bar to get to the end. It got stuck on this particular .png file after about 6 seconds of the progress bar appearing):
    Screenshot from 2017-01-15 10-38-28.png

Is there a fix or workaround for this?

(Running Unity 5.6b3, built from AUR & Pamac on Antergos (Arch) Linux 64-bit, Gnome 3.22.2 desktop environment.)

2. DevLaTron

DevLaTron

Jesse_DuBord likes this.
  3. Jesse_DuBord

Jesse_DuBord

@outofbound, what you proposed proved to be a successful work-around. Switching texture compression from ETC to ATC had the progress bar make it to the end with no freezing.

I'll report a bug, but at least your solution gets the ball rolling! Thanks so much for the comment!

4. Jesse_DuBord

Jesse_DuBord

5. pjoe

pjoe

FWIW: I'm still getting freezes with ETC texture compression for 5.6.0b6 (Ubuntu 16.04). Hoping this will get resolved soon, has been plaguing the Linux editor for quite a while now :S

6. Jesse_DuBord

Jesse_DuBord

Looks like 5.6.0b8 was just released for Linux. I'll download and try it out to see if the bug has been resolved and report back. HUGE thanks to the Unity dev team for working on the fixes and updates for Linux!