Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.5 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Phantom75

Phantom75

Hi Sara, can you please transmit QA that we would appreciate if "soon" was rather yesterday then tomorrow. This issue is really blocking a lot of peoples releases (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...oid-dot-location-dot-location?page=1#comments). Thanks a lot!

Zuicis likes this.
  2. Zuicis

Zuicis

Ouch, status changed from active to fixed (856773) :)

3. hoskope

hoskope

I have serious issues with 5.5 and my rusty Mac Pro 8-Core (Early 2008) and El Capitan. Randomly when starting Unity whole computer hands and i have to close it from power button.

4. transferim

transferim

I was using it for a while today; the only problem I ran into so far is that custom editor window keyboard shortcuts wouldn't work after entering and exiting play mode, unless I clicked on the menu bar first.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Thanks for 5.5.1p2, this new patch is quite good, the odd editor glitches are mostly gone, still drag and drop sticks on mavericks, also still unable to select on uGUI elements in the scene view.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. kniewolewski

kniewolewski

Any news on when this new fix will be released? It still doesn't work in any new 5.5 and 5.6 Unity versions despite its fixed status (856773).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Zuicis likes this.
  7. budukratok

budukratok

I didn't find any mentions about this bug on issue tracker and I worry that my bug report about light culling mask will be ignored, so I'm writing here.
    Unity3d 5.5.1p3 Bug report #879852 Link to fogbugz (project attached to bug report)

Directional lights settings:

Standard shader with different mode settings.
    Screenshot from Unity3d 5.5.0f3 (culling mask looks right):

Screenshot from Unity3d 5.5.1p3:

and another screenshot from 5.5.1p3:

Looks like a bug with render queue:

laurentlavigne and MrEsquire like this.
  8. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hey, we have a backport for this in 5.5.1p4 which comes out this week.

kniewolewski likes this.
  9. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hi! You should've received a message back from the report, did you try out the solution provided?

Simply change the render queue: - select Object Material - change view to Debug Mode (Inspector Window top right drop down menu) - change Custom Render Queue value for example 3000 => 2450 - now your object will be masked the same.

10. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

11. budukratok

budukratok

Hi! Yes, I received a message, but unfortunately, I can't just change render queue. This solution is temporal, of course, I can write some tweaks myself for fixing that behavior for now, but I hope this bug will be fixed in next version.

According to https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-SubShaderTags.html 2500+ "queues up to 2500 (“Geometry+500”) are consided “opaque” and optimize the drawing order of the objects for best performance.". The bug occurs for render queue <= 2500.

12. Ravel

Ravel

I just noticed that meshcolliders will offset the rigidbody to the mesh colliders pivot center. So if I want to place a gameobject, with a custom collider to a surface, it will have a height offset and will drop from height.
    I hope this gets fixed in 5.6!

13. Talavaj

Talavaj

Am I the only one whose scene/play viewports try to run everything in a very laggy and choppy fashion regardless of whether the play button is pressed ?

Also the viewport performance is horrid now yo.
    Very very choppy, disappointing.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  14. Ogien

Ogien

I just wanted to let everyone know that there seem to be some issues with multithreaded rendering in 5.5. It can cause random crashes on Samsung Devices such as the S3. Maybe it is related to this bug, not sure:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...th-trail-renderer-causes-application-to-crash

Many of my users complained about immediate or random crashes right after they updated the game, probably cost me a few thousand $ before I figured it out. Suits me right for clicking that check box I guess.

I have email confirmation from users that proves that my patch with disabled multithreaded rendering fixed the issue for them.

MrEsquire likes this.
  15. PygmyMonkey

PygmyMonkey

Hello!

Quick question about the release notes.
    This one in particular:
    "Editor: Add support for the GZipStream class in the editor and standalone players. (569612)"

What does that mean exactly?
    We already had access to System.IO.Compression.GZipStream right?
    I know System.IO.Compression.GZipStream didn't work for me on Windows, so I had to use https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/31902
    Does that mean that it is now fixed on Windows?

Thanks!

16. vakabaka

vakabaka

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    MrEsquire likes this.
  17. sharamun

sharamun

Greetings Folks,

Upgraded from Unity 5.5.1f1 (64-bit) to Unity 5.5.2f1 (64-bit) on MS Windows 7 Pro SP1 today (personally I'd rather be running it on Debian Linux 8.7.1 (Jessie) but installing dependent libraries on that platform hasn't been worked out), attempted to open a project recently developed w/Unity 5.5.1f1 (64-bit), which appeared to convert without error but the Scene Object Hierarchy is completely gone, so the application is no longer functional.

I reinstalled Unity 5.5.1f1 (64-bit) to Unity install folder: C:\Program Files\Unity-5.5.1 so that both versions can run, opened the converted project w/Unity 5.5.1f1 (64-bit) but the Scene Object Hierarchy was still completely gone, so had to restore from backup and continue to use Unity 5.5.1f1 (64-bit). My initial thought was that going from 5.5.1f1 (64-bit) to 5.5.2f1 (64-bit) would only be a maintenance release and therefore fairly transparent, but it appears not to be the case.

As I've only been using Unity for a few months and as such not familiar with the project conversion procedure when upgrading Unity, therefore submitting this post for any pointers the community may have. I'd very much like to be using the latest version, so any guidance and/or suggestions to fix this issue are greatly appreciated.

For some background, prior to starting project development, I considered a number of other development platforms and I found Unity to be the best choice. Very much impressed with its design, capabilities, multi-platform support and road map, much gratitude and kudos to all contributors, keep up the great work!

Thanks very much for your consideration and support and any relevant information you can provide.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  18. larku

larku

Have you tried deleting the Library (and Temp if it exists) folders BEFORE upgrading?

I'd close Unity, restore to known working copy, delete Library and Temp folders and then attempt to open with the latest Unity and allow reimport of all assets.

Not sure if this would help, but it's the first thing I'd try.

If you're not using version control, it may be a GREAT time to start. After upgrading you should just inspect what changed (git / gitk will show you every change made by upgrading). This will give you some idea of what could be causing the issue.

Oh, and if you're not using version control (eg git), it's time :)

19. sharamun

sharamun

Larku:

Thanks for the tips. Tried your suggestion but didn't work. Diffs on the directories showed only changes were to:
    <project-name>.csproj
    <project-name>.Editor.csproj
    changes only appear to be for Unity version, Debug/Trace constants.
    Searched in directory hierarchy and found ./Assets/<project-name>.unity which appears to contain definitions for Scene Object Hierarchy so maybe Unity-5.5.2f1 (64-bit) cannot parse it for whatever reason.

That's it for now. Any other tips would be appreciated since it would be a major pain to have to rebuild the entire Scene Object Hierarchy from scratch.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  20. vakabaka

vakabaka

try export project as unity package and then import in 5.5.2

21. sharamun

sharamun

...well, believe it or not, I restored the project again from backup w/no changes, then opened the project w/Unity-5.5.2f1 and the Scene Object Hierarchy successfully loaded so I'm good to go. I have no idea what got it to work, but thanks for the tips folks. I'll let you know if it happens again.

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Did you actually load the scene? Opening a project does not necessarily open a scene.

--Eric

Tzan and larku like this.
  23. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

There seems to be a problem with Social.localUser.Authenticate with 5.5.x (produced with 5.5.1f1, 5.5.1p4, 5.5.2f1)

Game actually logs in (GC banner shown) every time but Social.localUser.Authenticate returns false on most of the runs but not always. (approximately 9 out of 10)

Bug report submitted as (Case 884931)

MrEsquire likes this.
  24. Tzan

Tzan

That tripped me up more than once, how embarrassing :)

25. PsyKaw

PsyKaw

Got a crash when entering in "Deep Profile" mode with 5.5.2.p2 :(, somebody else or is it my project ?

26. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hmm, we shipped a fix for this issue in 5.5.2p2, so it should not be occurring if you're on that version. Let me check with the devs to see if we can do some further testing.

Edit: after testing, we can't reproduce it using this version of Unity. There may be something else causing Unity to crash in your case, so could you submit a bug report which includes a project folder? You can find our repro wizard package and instructions here. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  27. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Our devs are working on this issue, and you can follow it on Issue Tracker here.

28. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

It should work in the Window and OSX editors, and in all of the standalone players.

29. faraz

faraz

Just awesome!

30. PygmyMonkey

PygmyMonkey

Thanks!
    I can confirm it now works on OSX and Windows :)

SaraCecilia likes this.
  31. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Edit: I've overlooked this release note. Just read it a minute ago. I'm sorry.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  32. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Will 5.5.3 available today or on a later date? Thanks in advance!

33. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Hi Dennis, I don't know about 5.5.3 but according to the Unity roadmap even Unity 5.6 will become available really soon. Target March 2017.

Dennis_eA likes this.
  34. SteveJ

SteveJ

Unity 5.6 was scheduled for release today. Waiting... waiting...

elettrozero and yuliyF like this.
  35. elettrozero

elettrozero

Damn, I can't wait too!

36. larku

larku

What's so awesome about 5.6? I've not been following and you're getting me excited now and I don't even know why!!!! :)

MrEsquire and theolagendijk like this.
  37. elettrozero

elettrozero

Lots and lots of goods :) but when are they pushing the button??

38. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

HANG TIGHT!

Schusy likes this.
  39. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

40. elettrozero

elettrozero

This week end is going to be as funny as a second christmas, and I'm a kid impatience to open the new toy :D

41. elettrozero

elettrozero

Wait what?? 5.5.3??

SupergonkDom likes this.
  42. Tactics_IT

Tactics_IT

5.5.3 released... isn't 5.6 supposed to be released today...

vakabaka likes this.
  43. elettrozero

elettrozero

Yep.....hope they are going to release 5.6 alongside 5.3

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

... alongside 5.5.3! ;)

45. Ericks89

Ericks89

I swear I've read 5.6 was supposed to be released by the end of March, well... it's the end of March and no 5.6 :(

46. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

I am happy with 5.5.3! Thanks! 8)

47. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

it. is. there.

can. not. decide.. brrr

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

The day is not finished yet. At least here it's 5:19 pm.

49. Ericks89

Ericks89

Currently 10:23 AM here, today will be a long one...

50. elettrozero

elettrozero

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! It's there!!!!

SupergonkDom and Ericks89 like this.