Search Unity

5.5 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm glad that you didn't have any problem but, it's said here that we shouldn't install a patch unless we need to: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases?version=5.4 (develop any of the versions)

2. P1st3ll1

P1st3ll1

Guys, another error that I found, don't know it has been reported yet, is that Unity freezes when you enter Play Mode with baked Navmesh.

3. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Am I seeing lots of Assertions when I run my game scenes, all to do with curves, I assume from particle systems, when I click the errors I get no other data so it is something internal to Unity, how can I stop these from appearing?
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'curveT >= GetRange ().first && curveT <= GetRange ().second'
    And I am also getting the Assertion below when I call GetParticles():
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'curveT >= m_Curve[lhs].time && curveT <= m_Curve[rhs].time'
    2. UnityEngine.ParticleSystem:GetParticles(Particle[])

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The asset timestamps issue is a really horrible one that we've been struggling to reliably reproduce and understand for months, but we're hopeful that we have finally fixed it - the change will be in the next patch releases (for 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5).

Correct. We're actually ramping up the amount of QA we perform on a patch release, but we'd still recommend not to upgrade just for funsies.

Consider it a bonus ;)

Seriously though - we know that in a perfect world you'd get that one bug fix you need and nothing else, but it's simply not practical for us to create and publicly distribute a separate build for each different combination of individual fixes that everyone might ever want. We're working to improve confidence in the patch releases and bring the risk for you down as much as possible.

Perhaps when we have the package manager stuff all done, it'll be more possible to take a fix in one part of the engine while other parts stay at their old version... we'll see when we get there.

image28 and Deleted User like this.
  5. Goofy420

Goofy420

Nvidia has only released open source for select Gameworks modules, such as Physx 3.3, but Physx 3.4 is only offered to Unreal Engine for the time being but GRB (GPU Rigidbody), a highly modified version of Physx 3.4, should be right around the corner, and I hope to see it in a distant update.
    http://physxinfo.com/news/12649/gdc-2016-physx-gpu-rigid-body-and-nvidia-flow/#more-12649

?: Does the new Unity 5.5 ParticleSystem use FLEX technology? That would be awesome. The February Fallout 4 patch implements FLEX; it's 6x faster to render on previous GPU's, and looks so good.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/flex

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the answer, I'll stick to upgrading from one version to the other and avoid installing the patches. The idea of a package manager seems very handy; when do you think it'll be available? :)

7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I think you'll see us ship something package-managerish in 2017.

juggernate, image28 and Deleted User like this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ho ho, thanks! :D

image28 likes this.
  9. sisermann

sisermann

Great news for the particle system, I would really liked to check it out.

BUT I am experiencing a substantial loss in VR performance, framerate is 30% down in a scene that was fine in 5.4.3p2.

That same scene is utilizing a lot of realtime Shadows.

Is the shadow computation now more heavy because of the higher precision? That maybe the reason ?

StaffanEk likes this.
  10. elbows

elbows

FleX doesnt support enough hardware or platforms/operating systems for game engines to make it part of their default systems. I use it in projects where I have the luxury of controlling what hardware the app runs on, and it has bags of potential, but I dont expect to see it integrated into engines as standard, at least not in the present era.

11. image28

image28

Making the switch.... drumroll ....

12. SteveJ

SteveJ

Yeah, I'm a real rebel. Breakin' all the rules.

image28 likes this.
  13. image28

image28

Some issues re-importing because of perforce (Disconnecting it from perforce and going to see how that goes), moving to git tomorrow Yaaaaaa!!!

14. image28

image28

So far so good. Apart from some InvaildMaterialAfterCompile in one or two of our custom shaders causing some spikes in the profiler.

Seeing a bit of a performance improvement over 5.4

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I was using it for a while today; the only problem I ran into so far is that custom editor window keyboard shortcuts wouldn't work after entering and exiting play mode, unless I clicked on the menu bar first.

--Eric

image28 likes this.
  16. image28

image28

Really like the new profiler improvements so far. Project rebuild time has improved quite a bit to ( The change from ARGB to RGBA must have helped in my case )

17. a-gumen

a-gumen

can't compile custom UI from https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/ui
    1>CSC : error CS2001: Source file '..\UnityEngine.UI\EventSystem\InputModules\BaseInput.cs' could not be found
    1>CSC : error CS2001: Source file '..\UnityEngine.UI\UI\Core\Utility\ReflectionMethodsCache.cs' could not be found

18. FlackAttack

FlackAttack

Looking forward to the new features!

19. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Essential features like lightmaps working on mobile platforms aren't "funsies" and your backwards release schedule is going to lead to months of frustrations for thousands of developers until your release the next final version.

20. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I too would like to know this. It isn't featured as a regression from previous versions.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am looking forward to finally using the HDR skies that I have made using the Vue program... is there a visual difference between the old method of the texture, versus setting the sky map to HDR? And also, do reflection probes finally reach FP32 like in film?

22. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Imported our current project to new 5.5.0f3, everything looked fine at first glance, just needed to recompute occlusion culling data, did that. Launched the game, and....all the characters now have weird problems with some (not all) animations, the Y starting position for the animation (mecanim avatar) is wrong for some of them, resulting the characters stay half into the ground (eg: walk and run fine, but when idle it goes half underground), also some of these wrong animations (coming from Mixamo and working a charm in 5.4.3) seem broken and bones are all around "kaka".
    I don't want to post a video because we just switched back to 5.4.3, we are just scared and wondering, if you guys at Unity are aware of this, or if we simple need to re-engineer all the characters animations and animators because of something big you changed in this compartment ( root animation offsets in mecanim avatar animation settings in a Blend State).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  23. MitorahGames

MitorahGames

Has anyone else noticed that in the 5.5 version building your game takes several times longer than with the 5.4 version of Unity and that after launching your game, it takes about 3 - 4 times longer than in the 5.4 version before your first scene gets loaded?

Zloba likes this.
  24. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

I wish all those VR things ripped off right now.....

25. ddf

ddf

Two issues baffling me since upgrading yesterday:

When I run our game I see a lot of this spamming in the console, but clicking on it gives no indication of where it is coming from:

Assertion failed on expression: '(sharedData.instructionCount == 0) || sharedData.combinedBounds.IsValid()'

And when I try to use the installed documentation, the search box doesn't work.

Can anyone shed light on these issues?

26. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Sorry to hijack your post a bit, but I too have this issue and have not been able to pinpoint why or how to solve it.

27. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

As of 5.5, the SpeedTrees in the Scene View blow in the wind even when not in Playmode, any time I move the camera around or click certain things. They move and then stop as soon as the camera stops. It's very disconcerting. :eek: Any way to turn that off?

Zloba likes this.
  28. Zloba

Zloba

SpeedTrees now again broken:(
    Look

29. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

5.5 patch 1 is out, with quiet bit bug fixes, think people should download this version and retest some issues.

frbrz and SaraCecilia like this.
  30. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

p1 can be found here.

31. larku

larku

Apologies for cross posting - but it seem my query may be better served in this thread.

As per my post here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/u...n-not-showing-on-ios-is-there-a-trick.445038/

Is there a trick to get the new Unity 5.5 splash screen to show on iOS? It works fine for me on Android, but the same project built on iOS only shows a grey-ish solid backgound while loading (no splash, no made by Unity, nothing).

Puzzled.

32. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

We are working on a fix, but as for a workaround - loading an empty scene at the start may work. Its due to long loading times.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  33. larku

larku

Oh so I'm fighting a losing battle trying to get this to work :(, oh well..

I've actually tried with a new project with just a single UI button, no different. My test device is an old iPad 2 (non retina).

Would that be expected?

34. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

This is unfortunately a regression and the team is working on it.

35. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Not sure if it's a bug as such, but it seems I'm able to open a 5.5 project in 5.3.1 without receiving the normal warning message about "This project was created in a newer version of Unity" etc.etc.

I have several v5.x versions installed, and I just accidentally opened a 5.5 project in 5.3.1 which seemed to open fine, but took several hours to open because it had to first re-import all the assets. Having realised my mistake, there was nothing I could do other than wait for it to complete and then re-open it again in 5.5, where it's now been running once again for over an hour. I only hope that when it finishes I won't have lost anything (other than around four hours of planned work :(.

Is that expected behaviour? I'd rather have not been allowed to open the project in 5.3.1 than have to endure what I did this evening!

36. image28

image28

Tiny feature, but love the ability to access a line Renderers Vector3 array with GetPosition. Was storing a separate array with around hundreds of thousands of Vector3's.... No more duplicate data which should free up some memory.

37. image28

image28

Reduced Scene sizes for all the levels from 24mb to 12mb

38. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Ugh, I'm sorry :( It's possible the warning was introduced sometime after 5.3.1, which is why you didn't get it. We have also been discussing internally on ways to differentiate the application icons to show which version of Unity they belong to since it's pretty common to have several versions installed on one machine.

tanoshimi likes this.
  39. xqtr123

xqtr123

40. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Still getting these errors in the console for my project.
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'curveT >= GetRange ().first && curveT <= GetRange ().second'
    2. Assertion failed on expression: 'curveT >= m_Curve[lhs].time && curveT <= m_Curve[rhs].time'
    And still getting an error about Unity Ads when converting a project from 5.4. And my scene has dropped from 58fps in 5.4.3 to 45fps in 5.5p1. Though not sure if that is an issue with the editor as when built the performance is just about equal.

41. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Actually, just that little change would make a real difference - here's what my Start menu looks like right now. Can you guess which version is which? ;)

Start Menu.jpg

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

You need to rename the executables; doing this won't break the editor. ;)

43. Jelmersb

Jelmersb

starting apps from a URI (URL scheme) on iOS stopped working?

Otherwise: nice improvements, good work.

44. RadioKnife

RadioKnife

Hey guys awesome update :)

So I finally got Visual Studio Code to work on Windows without using any Plugin using C# for Visual Studio Code (powered by OmniSharp) extension.

EDIT : Problem fixed using the latest C# extension update (1.6.0) on Visual Studio Code.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  45. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Sure I could try to remember to manually rename the executables every time I install a new version of Unity, but a better solution would be if the shortcuts that Unity automatically placed in the Start Menu on installation were named appropriately... ;)

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not sure this is Unity related, more Windows stuff I think.

47. wangshibowyl

wangshibowyl

What time release unity 5.6 b1 version,I need the new video api.next week?

48. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Still going through a few QA passes, but it should be within the next couple of days.

49. Mad_Philosopher

Mad_Philosopher

First so not to me negative, Unity is amazing to me.
    Second, where do I log 5.5 bugs? I am having specific issues I can submit.

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Use the bug reporter app. (Or use Help->Report a Bug menu item, same thing.)

--Eric