Search Unity

Bug [5.5.1f1 under Ubuntu 16.04] MonoDelevelop doesn't launch

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Deleted User, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I installed Unity 5.5.1f1 three times in a row, thinking that something had gone wrong but it appears that, whatever I do, MonoDevelop doesn't start from within editor. It doesn't start at all anyway.

I labelled it "bug" but it's something different; a bug does not happen systematically.

Somebody posted a way to fix the situation but I don't understand what to do with it. It's here (I hope the author won't mind that I post a link to it here) : https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/guide-how-to-use-monodevelop-as-default-ide-under-ubuntu.440449/

2. marchingcubes2

marchingcubes2

In the Preferences->External Editor section, use the browse button and locate the monodevelop binary shipped with Unity. it seems the 'use internal monodevelop' setting does not find it correctly.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry, forgot about that; it's the first thing I did and it doesn't work either.

4. Tak

Tak

Do you have the dependencies for MD? (They're not shipped with unity today - we only have them listed as "Recommends" in the debian package.)

apt install monodevelop mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 mono-reference-assemblies-3.5 may get you somewhere.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, that could be it, since Unity was installed through the Ubuntu "store" (sorry, I don't remember it's exact name. The deb package is open with the software installer and nothing is listed there.

Thanks!

Anyway, I consider switching to Linux Mint, I hate Unity, the user interface that is installed by default with Ubuntu and I don't want to bother with installing a different one. Linux Mint Cinnamon suits me better. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017