Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.4 Released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by aliceingameland, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

WARNING: 5.4 mesh skinning is 2x slower than 5.3 and overall fps is 30% slower.

I'd stick with 5.3 until 5.5 is released, a version cycle is usually how long it takes them to deworm a release.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

only relevant if you're using version control from within Unity.

It's just for comparing files so you can see what's changed if there's a conflict.

Buhlaine likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, thank you. :)

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That is DEFINITELY not good. I am going to have to roll back to 5.3 if this is a serious issue...

laurentlavigne likes this.
  5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

As always run your own benchmarks because each project has different requirements. 5.4 is MUCH slower at dealing with many entities.

6. Zloba

Zloba

Has found a bug with rotating lens flare. Probably lost in the new version of the sign of the sine :D
    Look this

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And I am making a fighting game with two detailed characters :(...

8. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Also found a bug. Apparently there's something going wrong with importing .unitypackages.
    In fact whenever I double click on a unitypackage, it will open another Unity Editor Window.
    :oops:

9. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Has anyone filed a bug-report for it? Otherwise, I assume it's rather unlikely that it's going to be fixed.

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

2 characters are fine.

12. Pawl

Pawl

Not sure if this changed in 5.4 specifically or a previous version (we jumped from 4.6.9 to 5.3 then 5.4 all very recently) but 'Apply Root Motion' seems to be default true on the Animator component.

This caused a wild goose chase trying to hunt down some very bizarre velocity related physics bugs with our enemy prefabs as this was an unexpected change.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my painful debugging experience here.

rootmotion.png

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And I will have some lower detail characters who will serve as NPCs... I could use particles for crowd simulation

14. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

15. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  16. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Yeah, so that asset's shaders did indeed cause the performance loss as they're not optimised for 5.4, but it was also tested with 5.3 resulting in the memory usage of around 2 gb there as well. I would suggest following the advice you received in the bug report, as that seems to be the best way to get around this.

17. Riderfan

Riderfan

I'm running 24 high-detail characters on screen at once without issue. Rock solid 60FPS. Maybe it's your setup?

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's a known bug with GPU skinning on some devices (AFAIK). Switch to CPU for the meantime or report your own bug...

laurentlavigne likes this.
  19. Jotunn

Jotunn

In 5.4, lens flare is stretched at the edge of screen.
    a lens flare in 5.3 :
    FlarePersp536.png
    same lens flare in 5.4 :
    FlarePersp540.png
    Lens flare in 5.4 is very ugly:(
    I hope that this problem will be fixed soon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  20. Murgilod

Murgilod

Is there a reason that world space UI canvasses don't render to render textures anymore?

21. mh114

mh114

I can confirm this. Did you submit bug report with repro?

22. Jotunn

Jotunn

Yes, I have submitted yesterday.

mh114 likes this.
  23. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

24. Thelo

Thelo

We have also experienced major framerate problems when upgrading from 5.3 to 5.4, and terrifyingly enough they seem to be specific to some systems and not others. We now have to revert to 5.3 while this is getting sorted out.

25. Thelo

Thelo

Looks like the default material in 5.4 is actually significantly slower than 5.3's default material. Upgraders beware!

MrEsquire likes this.
  26. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

To be honest unity lens flare are always behave ugly, and need a serious upgrade/refactor from unity team

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

There number of small things that can be improved, they always seem to never upgrade the small stuff?
    Not sure why because if priority is so low, means it gets put on list probably not bother.
    All there effects need upgrading to 2016 standard, and lets not mention the skyboxes and other free assets.

Anyway in terms of the 5.4 release seems to be great so far...

28. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Yeah that's so true, anyway regarding lens flare i remember they create a new one for the chase IOS demo really curious why they not release that one :/

MrEsquire likes this.
  29. P-Jawahar

P-Jawahar

Release Manager Unity Technologies

We're looking into the issues reported. Will keep you all updated.

Deleted User and MrEsquire like this.
  30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great! :)

Could you investigate this then, since I don't think it's a normal behaviour:
    • aspect of the scene and game views with baking lights set to "auto" in the "Lighting" view:
    autoOn.jpg
    • aspect of the scene and game views with baking lights not set to "auto" in the "Lighting" view:
    autoOff.jpg

I don't think such a difference is normal; I've never noticed this in 5.3.

It looks like the lights are just turned off if you uncheck "auto" in the lighting view.

Thank you!

31. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

@AnneSchmidt plese can you send me the precise scene just so I can review the lights in the scene and the settings on them. It isn't clear to me what lights set to bake you have and which objects are static. I think from the second screenshot it is saying you have no lightmaps which might mean "Build" hasn't been pressed or it might mean there are no lightmaps to bake.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

There's only one light in the scene: the default directional light, the one that is there when we create a new scene. Basically, the scene is a new scene to which only the two objects you can see have been added. And no light has ever been baked in this scene. The baking settings are the default ones already present when we create a new scene.

33. GregPDesUGD

GregPDesUGD

Up until now, I've been using Unity 5.3.2f1 to continue on with my Pong clone and this Roll-a-ball tutorial, and Unity 5.3.5f1 for the Space Shooter and TANKS! tutorials. I do want to download and install Unity 5.4, but what I don't know is whether or not the API has been changed completely, in case I need to go back and review the code for understanding.

This is my first time downloading a version of Unity where it could make some of the components in my previous projects incompatible; I'm not sure where to start.

34. Moonjump

Moonjump

Make a backup of all your projects. You can always revert to 5.3.1 (previous versions of Unity are available to download) if you need to, as long as you have versions of your projects that are from that version or earlier.

35. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

36. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

MrEsquire likes this.
  37. camel82106

camel82106

Case 818706. Simple repro scene with 10000 speedtrees on unity terrain. On 5.3.6 I get 145FPS, on 5.4 105 FPS... Tried on 5.4.1 and still there. Isn't it critical for more than month? Submitted 29.7.2016. Got response that it was reproduced by Unity, status still Open...

Here are more combinations tested:
    dx11 = 145 FPS

dx11 = 103 FPS
    dx11 + jobs = 61 FPS
    dx12 = 82 FPS
    dx12 + jobs = 110 FPS

Best regards
    Peter

38. idurvesh

idurvesh

Upgrading to Unity 5.4.0f3 result in lost in layer data,

a,

Anybody expriencing same problem?

39. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

now that's odd, never have that problem before. Btw the latest version are 5.4.1

40. hnstbndr

hnstbndr

Why was the "setting scale factor for multiple imported meshes" disabled? This was a such a good feature, saved me lots of time. Now I have to manually set the scale factor for over 100 objects...
    The issue (id 561601) was not there for models of the same type, just like the description says: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/model-importer-multi-editing-fails-when-model-scale-differs

Still it was disabled... Are there any workarounds, except for manually changing every single object?

Thanks

Teku-Studios and idurvesh like this.
  41. flashframe

flashframe

Anyone else working on MacOS with a dual monitor setup? My macbook pro is a retina display, but my secondary monitor isn't, and I'm getting a lot of UI glitches in the Game Window when working across the two monitors.

I'm presuming it's a problem caused by having only one retina display. Have submitted a bug report, but wondered if anyone else is seeing this?

42. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've been getting those UI issues since 4.x. I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

43. laergor2345

laergor2345

Silly question, but I just updated from 5.3 to 5.4, and I'm having trouble locating the option for:

VR: Optimized Single-Pass Stereo Rendering
    • Option in Player Settings.

I see the option for "Graphics Jobs (Experimental)" but I don't see SPSR. Any pointers exactly where it should be? (Checked both PC and Android player settings)

44. josephsaade

josephsaade

alright, so we checked the what's new (https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.4.0)
    and decided to upgrade and voila all our networking code need refactoring.
    We were using 5.3.3 and 5.4 seem to have changed a lot in the matchmaking services especially in the callback responses.
    The what's new should be updated to reflect those issue as we just lost a day fixing and testing.

45. Jotunn

Jotunn

Hi, "Lens Flare is being distorted at 5.4.x" is registered to Unity Issue Tracker.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/lens-flare-is-being-distorted-at-5-dot-4-x

Please vote if you are troubled with this issue.
    Thanks!

46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Think its time to update to 5.4.1 as officially out link considering 5.4.2 coming out next week..

47. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

5.4.2 is now live and out..

yuliyF and flashframe like this.
  48. justdizzy

justdizzy

Is there a partial "release notes" of change from 5.4.1p4 to 5.4.2?

acgleader likes this.
  49. kenshin

kenshin

Any feedback about performance improvement on 5.4.2?

acgleader and yuliyF like this.
  50. minimalic

minimalic

Updated from 5.3.6 to 5.4.2 and I'm getting the error on any project:
    cinema 4d couldn't convert the .c4d file to an fbx file

On 5.3.6 and before it was working fine. Already reinstalled the Unity import plugin in Cinema R13, but it still doesn't work… :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.