Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.3 Multi-Display Feature Issues...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Awesumo, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Awesumo

Awesumo

I have been testing the multi-display feature throughout the beta releases. The behavior in 5.3 appears exactly the same as it has since prior to the release candidate builds with the input system broken and all windows having to be the same resolution. Is this feature actively being worked on? It is a showstopper for our current project so I need to know if the feature is ever going to work for our requirements (4:3 aspect on one display, 16:9 on a 2nd display with touch input). Otherwise I need to switch gears and start developing two separate apps - mid project at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars :-( No pressure, and I am not looking for unity to solve my problems, I would just like to know what the plan is for this feature. I asked several times in the beta thread and we only got sparse/vague answers. PLEASE advise.

ModLunar likes this.
  2. Awesumo

Awesumo

Quick update on this. The release build is rendering windows on different resolutions, but the input system is still not working across all monitors. Also, it isn't rendering the windows perfectly, but it is an improvement over the beta builds. It looks like a black strip, the size of the windows 10 taskbar, is at the bottom of the screen on the second monitor running 4:3. But just to confirm, we were able to run one at 16:9 and one at 4:3 which is really cool.

3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey. We are aware of the issues in the multiple display system. Unfortunately they could not be fixed in time for 5.3 but should be ready for 5.4 and maybe a 5.3 patch if they are fixed before 5.4.
    We have decided to remove support for multiple displays from the UI system while we wait for this, it will be disabled in the first 5.3 patch release. This is mentioned in the Known issues part of the release log

So yes we are working on fixing it.

holliebuckets likes this.
  4. Awesumo

Awesumo

Eek!!! Are you saying that the "target display" option on each camera is going to be removed?? What is there in 5.3 works for us well enough to meet our needs and now it sounds like you are going to remove it in patch 1?? Am I understanding you correctly?

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The option will remain in the inspector but internally we wont be using the system. It has a big problem with none native resolutions that will break the UI in many games so it has to go until its fixed. If its working for you then stick with the current 5.3 and wait till its fixed in 5.4 or a later 5.3 patch. While it may work for you there are a lot of people who's UI will be badly broken so we had to take the decision to kick it while its fixed. Sorry :(

Just to be clear this is for the UI system only, nothing else. The Camera option is not going.

6. Awesumo

Awesumo

I see, so the Target Display option on the canvas component will be removed? I guess we use both actually because the setup we have now puts the UI on a touchscreen and our game content on a projected display. I suppose we can use 5.3 and simply not patch until 5.4 but that is just very risky. I am feeling kind of stuck here, and I recognize that unity is pushing out a bazillion features to cover a bazillion requirements, but I am disappointed that your public roadmapping has failed in this case. The feature was green all the way up to release, leading us to count on it being there. We are not working on an indie game or anything like that. We are working on a major budget bricks and morter application. Ground is being broken, millions of dollars are being spent, and we have software to deliver that we can't without a major rewrite. I understand that roadmaps change and features come and go, sorry to vent, but this release news has simply ruined my day. :-(

7. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The problem was only picked up a week ago which is why we could not get it out of 5.3 release candidate or change the roadmap. It was a bug reported by a beta user and when we discovered how serious it was we had to react.
    The target display option is not going as it is still supported on some platforms(those who do not have none native resolution support) but it will be ignored in some. The problem is that the multi display system does not report the correct resolution when the display is set to a none native resolution, this causes the UI to break. So its just a temporary removal while the multi display team fix the problem, then we turn it back on.

holliebuckets likes this.
  8. Awesumo

Awesumo

Okay, thank you so very much for the information! I think we will press forward with 5.3 and try to get to 5.4 or a patch any way we can - even if we have to not update 5.3 for a while. We are getting around the screen resolution reporting problem by simply hardcoding the resolution on our second display - I realize that is not a realistic solution for other projects so I understand your need to disable it. For us, everything seems to be working across displays except the input system, but we don't really need input on the second display. Thank you again for sharing the information, we would have been baffled updating to Patch 1 only to find the feature disabled in some way.

holliebuckets and karl_jones like this.
  9. tohmjudson

tohmjudson

@karl.jones I might have miss read this, but does this mean all support for multiple monitors is being dropped from todays release until 5.4? Is that why I cannot get it to work? This is a huge problem, more so after seeing it was a go for this release. I was also in desperate need for this and have had to use syphon until now.

@Awesumo Is there a demo package somewhere that shows the Multi Display working, or could you please help? I only need to send the video an do not need the interaction for the installation.

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No not all support and it does not affect today's release. In the next patch release(next week) we will remove support for multiple displays from the UI system only. Just whilst we wait for the system to have support for none native resolutions fixed. It will still be available for all none UI elements.

11. tohmjudson

tohmjudson

@karl.jones Awesome! Had me scared for a minute. I have a BIG project I am working on. Any chance there is demo somewhere that shows the multi displays working? I have tried using the demo script in the docs and I can't get it to work at all. My demo test was nothing more than a sphere with two cameras on it with the demo script and assignments in the inspector set to Display 1 and Display 2. After build, I get only one screen with 3 monitors connected.

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I dont believe there are any examples yet. Have you tried the -multidisplay command line argument?

13. tohmjudson

tohmjudson

Yes, and no matter how many displays I connect (3-4) It still only logs 1 monitor (in unity itself, I know I need to build for it to actually work):
    Debug.Log("displays connected: " + Display.displays.Length);

Oddly, the Unity Game view allows me to switch cameras with no problem

14. Awesumo

Awesumo

15. tohmjudson

tohmjudson

OK So here is what I am getting when I try to run this from the terminal:

---:~ tohmjudson$ /Users/tohmjudson/Desktop/rawTest.app/Contents/MacOS/rawTest -multidisplay
    Mono path[0] = '/Users/tohmjudson/Desktop/rawTest.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
    Mono config path = '/Users/tohmjudson/Desktop/rawTest.app/Contents/Data/Managed/etc'
    2015-12-08 20:12:51.991 rawTest[1746:89483] Could not find image named 'ScreenSelector'.
    2015-12-08 20:12:52.003 rawTest[1746:89483] *** WARNING: Method selectRow:byExtendingSelection: in class ScreenSelectorTableView is deprecated. It will be removed in a future release and should no longer be used.

Any idea what "Could not find image named 'ScreenSelector'." means?

16. tohmjudson

tohmjudson

After some major installing, I got it working on Windows 8.1, with the exact same files/code I was using on my Mac. So, thats a start :)

17. PolygonFormation

PolygonFormation

Well, camera support is still usable :
    - For just screening a whole camera view on the display2 (like a fullscreen extend, pretty cool feature already.)

Only thing is that i reported a in/out focus bug, meaning it cant handle properly the 2 displays together once you minimize or "out of focus" the fullscreen app.:(
    An out of focus fix in incoming patch would be appreciated for that !

Thanks !

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Did you file a bug report? Cant fix what they don't know about ;)

19. PolygonFormation

PolygonFormation

Bug report : Case 754358
    Thanks !

20. diese440

diese440

is Unity 5.3 multi-display working on OSX ?

21. steffanPL

steffanPL

Up - same problem here:
    I have unity3d 5.3 pro on my mac pro(10.11.1) .
    Two displays are connected, first one through HDMI port, and the second one with Thunderbolt.

Display.displays.Length always returns 1.

What can I do to fix it ?
    is -multidisplay argument also works for mac ?

Best Regards !

22. diese440

diese440

Unity3D pro 5.3.0f4 & Unity3D pro 5.3.1f1
    as steffanPL : Two displays are connected, first one through HDMI port, and the second one with Thunderbolt.

Making a new project with only 2 cameras and 2 GameObjects :
    A) camera 1 (maincamera) linked to Display 1 - camera Culling Mask to a layer named "came one"
    B) camera 2 linked to Display 2 - camera Culling Mask to a layer named "came two"
    C) 3d object (cube) in the layer named "came one"
    D) second 3d object (cube) in the layer named "came two"

Building 2 standalones (one in x86 , one in x86_64)
    Launching the standalone 32b or 64b (same results) :

First : Show the Splash Screen ( if "Show Uniy Splash Screen" is cheched : normal behavior ) then...

...on OSX 10.8.5 :
    Display.displays.Length returns 2 but nothing on second monitor. (content of camera 1 on first monitor but grey desktop on second monitor)

...on OSX 10.11.2 :
    Nothing on all monitors. (black screen on all monitors)

Setting the first monitor to Thunderbolt and the second to HDMI with the same result.
    Best regards

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  23. kickstep

kickstep

I'm also having substantial issues working with the multidisplay feature.

I created the simple scene as part of debugging when trying to add multidisplay support to my existing game. I have managed to get all three displays working correctly in Windows (VM in Parallels on a Macbook), when using the -multidisplay CLA. The three displays include laptop's built in display, HDMI out, and thunderbolt -> DVI out. This only works for me in an extremely simple test scene: three cameras pre-configured to each Display 1, 2, and 3. Each camera looking at each a: capsule, sphere, cube.

When working on my existing, more complex game and scene, it is not working. In the editor mode, toggling between "Display 1" and "Display 2", each display comes up correctly, leaving me to believe that I have set everything up correctly. However, when I launch the standalone, no additional displays are activated, even using the same script as working before. Worse yet, the active display that is rendered to isn't using the correct cameras for any of the displays: it seems to use at least one of the camera dedicated to Display 1, and then it's either missing a camera or using a camera dedicated to Display 2. Not only will only the main display activate, the content on that display isn't as it should be, and it's also different as captured in the Editor "Display X" debugging.

A solution I thought to this problem would be to use the simple and working multidisplay activation scene as the start up scene to successfully create the three rendering contexts. From there, I use a script to change scenes to the game scene. However, this brings yet another peculiar problem: the LoadScene only applies to the primary display. Is this intended functionality of multidisplay? How can I change the scene on the other displays? There's nothing in the documentation. On top of that, on one display it does change the scene on, the output is again not as it should be. I can't explain what would be causing the multidisplay to not work, using the same logic, between different scenes. Is there a limit to the number of cameras, camera settings, etc.? It's particularly strange that it works in the Editor, but not standalone (at least as far as expected output).

On top of all of this, I still can't get multidisplay to work in OS X, where I can rule out a hardware issue as the virtual machine on the same hardware works. I have also tried the CLA in OS X ("open -n ./twinkle.app --args -multidisplay"). The documentation says it is an OS X feature?

I am currently developing with 5.3.1f1, having just updated hoping some of the issues might be resolved.

Hardware: Macbook Pro 13" (Intel Iris 6100). Early 2015. OS X El Capitan 10.11.3. Parallels 10. Windows 10.

24. steffanPL

steffanPL

Guys, any news in this topic ?

25. steffanPL

steffanPL

I am preparing project for iMac with two external displays currently, and I am wondering whether it will work or not.
    Last time - I had to remove MacOSX and install windows..

Hovewer installation is up and running now:

But I would prefer to avoid this issue that time.

26. diese440

diese440

Did you try to drag "OpenGL2" into the first line of "Graphics APIs for Mac" list ? (default is OpenGLCore, for mac).
    You can change this settings in "Player Settings/Others Settings/" + uncheck "Auto Graphics API for Mac" checkbox. This works fine for me...

27. Awesumo

Awesumo

I have been using the multi-display feature now for several months and for right now it seems pretty stable. Now, if I could only render one display onto a rendertexture with the UI layer on the other display! Any ideas why UGUI doesn't show up in rendertextures?

28. XenonSpher

XenonSpher

hello sir. How do you call the 2nd Display screen so that I can use this script: Screen.SetResolution(); on the 2nd Display screen not the 1st main Display screen. Because whenever I use this. it sets the Main Display Resolution. I want it so that the 2nd Display changes. Please and thank you

P.S. I'm already using Unity 5.4

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  29. nomadic

nomadic

Try setting your canvas render mode to "Screen Space - Camera" instead of Overlay.

30. YeepYe3p

YeepYe3p

Hi, may i know the setup or the script example for the multi-display monitor? i am currently trying to do a interactive 3D multi viewpoint display with 3 projectors and a kinect sensor v1. thank you.

31. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Was there a solution for how to set this up on a mac book pro?
    I have a scene with two cameras, camera 2 is set to display on display two, in the editor it shows up on display two but either I have my monitors hooked up wrong on my mac or something because I can't seem to get camera 2 to display to the 2nd monitor....??
    is there a step by step guide somewhere that shows how to get the dual display set up properly on a Mac?

32. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What does your code look like? You need to activate the second display. E.g
    Display.displays[1].Activate();

KnightRiderGuy likes this.
  33. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Thanks @karl_jones,
    I was looking at the unity page where it talks about that, I did put that code on the page on a script I attached to my main camera which is set to display on display one,
    But reading the manual I was unclear about the activation stuff.... should I put a different script on additional cameras that are to display to display 2?

For my camera switching I'm using a camera switching object with a code on it like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject camera1;
    2.     public GameObject camera2;
    3.     public GameObject camera3;
    4.     public GameObject camera4;
    5.     public GameObject camera5;
    6.     public GameObject camera6;
    7.     public GameObject camera7;
    8.     public GameObject camera8;
    9.     public GameObject camera9;
    10.     public GameObject camera10;
    11.     public GameObject camera11;
    12.     public GameObject camera12;
    13.     public GameObject camera13;
    14.     public GameObject camera14; //Non Player Interactive (Call by Voice Command)
    15.     public GameObject camera15; //Non Player Interactive (Call by KITT or Automatic)
    16.     public GameObject camera16leftEye; //(Call by KITT after VR response)
    17.     public GameObject camera17rightEye; //(Call by KITT after VR response)
    18.     public GameObject camera18factoid;    //Factoid Camera (Call by KITT after VR response)
    20.     // Use this for initialization
    21.     void Start()
    22.     {
    23.         Debug.Log("displays connected: " + Display.displays.Length);
    24.         // Display.displays[0] is the primary, default display and is always ON.
    25.         // Check if additional displays are available and activate each.
    26.         if (Display.displays.Length > 1)
    27.             Display.displays[1].Activate();
    28.         if (Display.displays.Length > 2)
    29.             Display.displays[2].Activate();
    30.     }
    32.     public void CameraDefault() {        //Main Screen Camera
    34.         camera1.SetActive(true);    //Main Menu Screen Camera
    35.         camera2.SetActive(false);
    36.         camera3.SetActive(true);    //Logo Camera
    37.         camera4.SetActive(false);
    38.         camera5.SetActive(false);
    39.         camera6.SetActive(false);
    40.         camera7.SetActive(false);
    41.         camera8.SetActive(false);
    42.         camera9.SetActive(false);
    43.         camera10.SetActive(false);
    44.         camera11.SetActive(false);
    45.         camera12.SetActive(false);
    46.         camera13.SetActive(false);
    47.         camera14.SetActive(false);
    48.         camera15.SetActive(false);
    49.         camera18factoid.SetActive(false);
    50.     }
    52.     public void EnableCamera1() {            //Main Screen Camera
    54.         camera1.SetActive(true);
    55.         camera2.SetActive(false);
    56.         //camera3.SetActive(false);
    57.         camera4.SetActive(false);
    58.         camera5.SetActive(false);
    59.         camera6.SetActive(false);
    60.         camera7.SetActive(false);
    61.         camera8.SetActive(false);
    62.         camera9.SetActive(false);
    63.         camera10.SetActive(false);
    64.         camera11.SetActive(false);
    65.         camera12.SetActive(false);
    66.         camera13.SetActive(false);
    67.         camera14.SetActive(false);
    68.         camera15.SetActive(false);
    69.         camera18factoid.SetActive(false);    //Factoid Camera
    70.     }
    UPDATE:
    I was able to get the 2nd display to activate but when the 2nd display activated both of my displays the layouts of my canvases become all messed up??

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  34. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

I posted a reply below @karl_jones,
    I was able to get the 2nd display to activate only it made the 2nd screen flicker like a mess of gibberish and the other screen showed my screen canvas layout all messed up.
    I'll post a photo for reference if you like?

35. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes can you post a photo or share a sample project? Is the canvas on the primary monitor? UI is not working in multiple display although the fix went in today so should be in 5.4 in a future patch.

36. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Well the project is too big to share,
    But basically I have several cameras set up, one camera the main camera is set to display any canvases associated with it to display 1,
    now the additional cameras with their associated canvases are set to load to display two.
    In the editor it all works flawlessly but if I try it with two additional monitors hooked up to my mac book I get wiggy results.

Attached Files:

37. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The editor support for multiple display is not a perfect match so problems can happen. If you are displaying canvases on monitors other than the primary then it's very likely that you will have problems we disabled multiple display support for the UI system, like i said we have a fix for this now. If the UI is the only issue then I would say wait till the fix comes in a future patch. Can you post a screenshot of the problem in a build?

38. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Thanks @karl_jones,
    OK this is interesting, I changed the code on the camera switcher object to this in the start:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Use this for initialization
    2.     void Start()
    3.     {
    4.         Debug.Log("displays connected: " + Display.displays.Length);
    5.         // Display.displays[0] is the primary, default display and is always ON.
    6.         // Check if additional displays are available and activate each.
    7.         if (Display.displays.Length > 1)
    8.             Display.displays [0].SetRenderingResolution (800, 600);
    9.             Display.displays[1].Activate();
    10.             Display.displays [1].SetRenderingResolution (800, 600);
    11.         if (Display.displays.Length > 2)
    12.             Display.displays [2].SetRenderingResolution (800, 600);
    13.             Display.displays[2].Activate();
    14.         if (Display.displays.Length > 3)
    15.             Display.displays [3].SetRenderingResolution (800, 600);
    16.             Display.displays[3].Activate();
    17.     }
    I got the main screen to display to one of the monitors (See attached)
    You can see the desktop on both my mac book and the first monitor and our app'm main screen, (Display one) on the 2nd small monitor.

However if I pull out that last one for display [3]
    Then I get messed up layout on one display and a whole lot of flickering and messing up on the other display.

Attached Files:

39. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its hard to say. Are you able to create a simplified project which has the problems and create a bug report with it?
    Post the number here and i'll take a look.

40. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

I'll have to get back to you on that one karl... I'll see if I can create a new project with some simple cameras and canvases set up.

41. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

I did make a simple scene with two cameras and canvases set to display on separate displays, I could get them to work.... but in my main project, the main canvas with offshoot panels that are set to animations that slide in the panels displays all wonky see attachment.

I also notice if you look at the 2nd display in the attachment that the objects on my canvas seem much further away than in the editor?? All the canvases would appear to have the same settings? So I don't know why it is displaying that ll out of whack either??

Also since I have added in the display to display 2 option in my project I have been unable to actually press any of the button on any of my canvases??

Attached Files:

42. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its difficult to say what's going on without a reproduction project to examine. What version of Unity are you using? The next 5.4 patch is due mid next week, i'll see if i can get the multiple display fix backported for it. Hopefully that will solve the problems.

43. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Thanks @karl_jones,
    I have version 5.4, I downloaded one with a patch for the Serial port not working with the Arduino in the editor mode. I'm sorry but the project file is too huge to post.
    Basically it's just one big series of GUI's Canvases, cameras, panels on canvases some animated to slide into view when called by either a button press or V.R.
    All in one scene,
    All canvases are set to "Screen space -camera"
    Then the appropriate camera is assigned.
    A game object that has a camera switcher script on it, buttons or V.R. call the camera switch to display a different canvas in front of a different camera to display 2, display one stays on screen at all times.
    In the editor it works beautifully, publish it out to use on dual display and it's garbaged. :(

here is a video demo:

In Car Test:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  44. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

@karl_jones,
    OK I just don't get this.... I made a small sample project with a couple of cameras in my scene, each camera has a canvas with panels, Camera one has some panels set off to the side out of view of the camera... these panels I used to indicate my "Slide in Panels"
    I exported it out and tested it and they do not appear to over lap and screw up my layout.

As near as I can tell my main project is set up exactly the same way, the only difference I can see is that I have more cameras and canvases... see attached:

And yet when I publish it out and run it on the dual monitors it does stupid stuff like:
    1 - makes my 2nd display appear farther away than in the actual editor display.
    2- Totally garbages my UI layouts in display 1 (See 2nd Attached)

Why is it not displaying like in the editor on the dual display mode?

Attached Files:

45. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you share that project so I can try it out?
    The editor and player code is different, there will likely be a bug in the player code, some of which I have fixed in the upcoming patch.

46. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Which one @karl_jones ? The sample project I made as a test I can share, but that one work fine, it's my main project that is having the issues.... it's too large a file to share.?

I did post some demo videos in an above post though

47. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Oh sorry I thought the problem was also happening in the sample project. I can provide a ftp link for you to upload it if that helps?

48. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Thanks @karl_jones,
    I THINK I might have found the solution.... and that's a BIG I THINK lol But in the Canvas Scaler Script in the inspector I changed the dropdown from:
    "Constant Pixel Size"
    to
    "Scale With Screen Size"

Re exported out the project to the stand alone player.... seems like it's possibly working... I'll share a vide demo in a minute.
    Not sure if that was what I was supposed to da as the sample project I did as a test was not set up like that and appeared to display just fine.??

49. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Canvas scaler is one of the elements that used the multiple display system so there's a good chance that the patch will fix it. I was unable to make the deadline for this weeks patch but it has gone into 5.4.1p2 which is due next Wed(21st)

50. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Thanks @karl_jones,
    here is that video demo I promised with the project exported with the Canvas Scaler settings... like I say not sure if that was what I was supposed to do but it displays one hell of a lot better on that setting than the default one??