Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.1 RC Phase begins

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by Alex-Lian, May 13, 2015.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Greetings!

I'd like to announce the shift to our RC phase. We are expecting to have an RC1 build later this week. I'll lay it out there that we're aiming to release on June 9, 2015. At this point, we're incorporating only severe impacting bug fixes that would cause a majority of Unity users to be unable to ship a game, so our criteria is fairly strict.

Since our criteria is a bit more strict, a weekly release for RC may not be followed if we don't have any fixes to offer.

We should have all (maybe only most) fixes from 5.0.2f1 incorporated, but the rest of the 5.0.2pX patch train will be deferred until the next roll-up release which will join in the 5.1.0 patch releases.

We will be continuing the patch-train of 5.1.0pX in the week following the 5.1.0 release as we've done for 4.6 and 5.0 previously. So, please don't fear that we're simply abandoning bugs. We're stabilizing for a release, but continuing on our march towards constantly improved quality.

2. Toad

Toad

Do you think the following issues will be fixed in time for the June 9 release?
    • Editor: Game View is black when using Image effects and Anti Aliasing.
    • VR: Judder on OSX.
    • VR: OSX Standalone 32-bit does not work, use 64-bit.
    • VR: Health and Safety warning flickers. Either physically tap the HMD after 5 seconds to dismiss, or permanently disable the warning at your own risk.

MrEsquire and Kronnect like this.
  3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Any updates on Unity GUI, will the release include the latest UI changes from 5.0.2?

4. natosha-bard

natosha-bard

The issue with the Game View going black when using Image effects + AA is fixed in 5.1.0f1.

I don't think the other 3 issues will be fixed for 5.1.0 final.

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Where'a the ongoing changelog for 5.1 so far?

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

With Oculus dropping support for OSX (at least for the initial release), I don't see how that is important.

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Goto get Unity then Beta releases, changelog is there, I assume for complete changelog this will come during release phase..

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks @MrEsquire! I'm aware of that page but it just lists a few fixes and known issues.
    I'm interested in the new features and changes of 5.1 from last public release, 5.0.2, not fixes.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

hopeful likes this.
  10. Tracy-Ma

Tracy-Ma

The 5.1 manual say there're several unet sample projects
    Sample Projects
    • Multiplayer 2D Tanks example game
    • Multiplayer Invaders game with Matchmaking
    • Multiplayer 2D space shooter with Matchmaking
    • Minimal Multiplayer project
    where to get them?

11. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/networking-sample-projects.325096/

12. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

13. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

The rolled up release notes comparing to 5.0.2 will with come with the final on June 9th.
    You can figure them out from the beta archive incremental release notes (http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/archive)

14. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We are doing test releases to get feedback for features before committing to them fully in official releases. 2D is in this capacity. So, some of the 2D stuff is not on any time line yet, and some pieces are already slated for 5.2.

Not sure I understand your 2nd question.

15. JonDadley

JonDadley

Which version of the Oculus VR SDK will the 5.1 native VR be built against? Oculus just released 0.6 a few days ago and I was wondering if this will be the basis for the Unity 5.1 native VR.

MS80 and MrEsquire like this.
  16. Toad

Toad

Agreed, but, to be fair, I posted the question before Oculus made that announcement.

17. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I wasn't aware of a new release. Is it safe to use with the latest Unity beta or would I be safer sticking with the previous one for the time being?

18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ah, right, sorry about that, I hadn't looked at the date of your post.

19. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Beta 5.1.0f2 - Very small changelog, I rather we dont have to many RC builds and wait little longer for build with many fixes?

20. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

5.1.0f2 contains a fix for a game breaking bug:
    • Mecanim: Fixed additionnal transforms on Humanoid rig not being animated

21. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Sucks a bit that it doesn't contain fixes for other potentially game breaking bugs. <-- Although not listed as a known issue, so I assume they haven't even seen the bug report yet.

22. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Or you could assume that they have seen the reports and haven't had a chance to fix them yet. That sounds more likely to me. ;)

23. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I would assume, if they haven't had a chance to fix it, it would at least be listed under "known issue" (as a sort of "yes, we've seen this and it's important but we haven't gotten around to fixing it yet"). But it isn't, so stands to reason that it is not yet known by the Unity team.

24. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We're simply not in a position to do that for every possible bug report out there.

In this case, seanr replied directly and he's one of the developers involved so it's clearly known about. While one could define it as a game breaking bug, we have a fairly high bar for things to cross that line. In this case, seanr pointed out it's specifically with local clients to the server (same process, is my understanding). Given that, we expect people can work around this until we can address it in a patch release.

25. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

It's possible, but really unwieldy (since connecting with just a regular client as if it were a local client within the same process does not work properly).

26. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Just to be clear, we're trying to make sure to stabilize the release, but patches will start flowing the week after or so.
    Once a fix has been vetted and verified, it should make it in the next available patch window.

With so many pieces, we can't hold up the entire release for a medium/large problem in one specific section unless it affects a significant portion of the community. Particularly if there is a temporary workaround for development (unwieldy or not). Obviously, shipping a game may be an issue, but this is the initial release and people are likely to be in early to mid-development with the feature in most cases. Most should be able to afford waiting a little for this fix, while they still can move forward developing with the networking feature. We are still working on improving our development/testing process to catch these types of things earlier, but for now we are working with the expectation that people can work around these type of things for a short time.

Ostwind likes this.
  27. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

The native VR integration in the current 5.1 betas does not support 0.6. This will be fixed in 5.1 before final release and as new Oculus Runtimes are released, you will be able to update.

vvander and JonDadley like this.
  28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hows the f3 release going, anything today maybe.
    Or final release next week?

29. Toad

Toad

Will that cause any issues if we're developing/testing on a Mac?

The Oculus SDK 0.6 only supports Windows...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    MrEsquire likes this.
  30. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Still finalizing. Release shall be June 9th as specified up top.

Sir-Spunky likes this.
  31. uiniti

uiniti

final release june 9th?

32. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Looks like f3 will be final release next week, depending on QA testing

33. Sphelps

Sphelps

June 9 mean the non pro users can play with Unet?

34. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

So when will 5.2 Beta start? I see the alpha already being ready :)

35. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

When 5.0 becomes stable for mobile development and GUI become fixed :)

36. Wavestar

Wavestar

Hello,

Is the 5.1.0f2 or f3 for download and INSTALLATION by non-Pro license users. I'm trying to figure that out but no-one is giving a straight answer there. I'm not yet at a stage where I would want to committ $75/mo. or $1500. Can someone give a clear and straight answer so I don't waste time downloading it only to come up with having to enter a serial key.

Sorry if I seem a little rough on that. A clear answer would at least inform me whether to download yet or wait a little bit longer for when it is part of official release.

37. JonDadley

JonDadley

You will be asked for a pro serial if you install a beta version. However, the public release of 5.1 is due tomorrow so you don't have to wait long :)

Sphelps likes this.
  38. Wavestar

Wavestar

Ok. I will wait to see the public release tomorrow. Thanks for answering Jon. I would soon begin some work as I update from 5.02f1 to the 5.1 release as I want to start working on using UNET and also the Sketchup support looks interesting to use in game and even non-gaming applications as that is all part of software development project supporting castAR.

39. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yea thanks Jon

40. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Toad You will still be able to use the 0.5 runtime on OSX