Search Unity

5.1 is here

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

2015-05-5dot1-blog (1).jpg

We’ve just released 5.1, with it comes the much awaiting first phase of Unity Multiplayer (the full plan here)

There’s preview of the new Unity Multiplayer Service which includes Matchmaker and Relay Servers. While in preview you can [sign-up https://multiplayer.unity3d.com/] and use this service with up to 100 concurrent users for free.

For the love of VR! 5.1 has integrated support for Oculus Rift in Editor and Standalone Players, read the blog post for all the details.

So, strap in, back up your projects and download the latest version of Unity and have a gander at the release notes.

Note! The most up to date version of the docs for VR and Unity Multiplayer are online (for now).

A huge thanks to Pro users who have helped to test 5.1, the beta forum is now closed but still visible.

If you need help with Unity Multiplayer please use the Multiplayer Networking forum and use the pre-fix Unity Multiplayer so our devs can find your problems quicker.

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Yay let's get it! Well I have been using it for a good while already mainly due to the Oculus Rift additions/changes which I have to say make developing a lot more fun now. Much easier to use as all you have to do now is to turn on the Rift feature. Little tip for those who can't get rid of the Warning Message you see in the Rift, tap your HMD in the front slightly and it should disappear.

tung0692, Aurore and Josh-Naylor like this.
  3. yezzer

yezzer

.. wait 5 seconds before doing that though. Or you'll just end up hitting your DK2 harder and harder until it disappears (like I did) :)

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Great job! I appreciate your commitments with deadlines guys! And I mean everyone at Unity's team. Congratulations. Now, let me enjoy your new release... back to that!

Aurore likes this.
  5. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

No time to sit back and relax, on to 5.2 :D

Great work getting 5.1 out the door with all the new preview features! - #SuchFun

6. Concinnity

Concinnity

hehehe... sweet

7. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Something I've noticed in the Release Notes:
    • Mecanim: Setting AnimatorState.speed to 0 doesn’t pause the animation as expected.
    That's definitely a bad thing, we intended to jump to Unity with the v5.1 update before launch, but we do use that piece of code quite often and having it broken at this point is not acceptable. Any ETA for that bugfix?

8. BlackHunter

BlackHunter

Time to fix webgl :mad:

flash is better than webgl

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  9. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

No SSR this time? Maybe next time?

minhdaubu2, Kronnect and Dreamaster like this.
  10. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Does 5.1 allow you to toggle between VR and non-VR mode on the fly? Like in game?

One thing to note is that apparently VR mode doesn't yet support linear color, but is planned for patch 2.

Another thing to be aware of in 5.1 is that if you use Alloy, you'll want to install Alloy 3.2 at the same time.

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for the update and the nicely done release notes. Might sound odd, but having screenshots in the release notes adds additional value imo. Made me aware of a few things that I would have easily missed otherwise :)

Aurore and Ostwind like this.
  12. nintari

nintari

I just installed 5.1 and... all I see is a window that says "Connecting" where my list of projects should be.

I closed it and tried again and on the second attempt it did come up with a login window with the option to work offline. However, now that I've seen that it has to connect to something before getting to the login, I am a bit concerned that this implementation adds a dependency to getting into the projects.

Attached Files:

13. Aedous

Aedous

That was the same reason why I hesitated as well because of this issue, it's a shame really, but I don't think I would have said "not acceptable" cut them some slack :p, I would like to know when that can be fixed as well pwease :).

Teku-Studios likes this.
  14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Okay, now where's the 5.2 beta? :p

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

In the release notes under "Improvements" there is this bullet point:

I don't really understand what this means, but the part that tells me to delete my project's Library before making an important build concerns me. What does deleting the Library help with, and what could go wrong if I don't delete the Library?

16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It makes sure assets in the library aren't out of sync with the actual assets in your project.

17. SteveJ

SteveJ

I always thought deleting the Library folder was a big no-no?

18. lexacutable

lexacutable

• UI: Fix issue where the pointer click world position/normal may not be properly associated with the event if multiple modules or hits are present.
    This is actually now broken for me in 5.1 - I'm getting a zeroed Vector3 in the worldPosition property for pointer events on scripts that worked fine before :( I'll submit a bug report.

[edit] Nevermind - just saw that the API has changed, thanks to the new IntelliSense stuff. The documentation has yet to be updated to reflect that worldPosition is now in the RaycastResult properties.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Aurore likes this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yikes! All of my builds are important enough that I want the most current assets. I thought it was maybe to reduce file size for a final build, but if this new 5.1 improvement can cause things to get out of sync, that sounds bad. It takes a long time to rebuild a Library on large project. Can anyone from Unity confirm that the Library getting out of sync with the latest assets is now a frequent concern?

20. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Awesome, been waiting to try this uNet stuff out. Great work UT!

21. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Well, some Unity guy pointed me out that it will be fixed in the next few days with 5.1.0patch1, so it shouldn't take long to have that working again :)

Aedous likes this.
  22. Dantus

Dantus

It was before the meta files were introduced. When the meta files are in place, you can delete the library folder and it will automatically be created again when you open the project.

23. SteveJ

SteveJ

So many things broken after upgrading my project. Man, this gets tedious...

I am da bawss likes this.
  24. teemukorh

teemukorh

Same here. Don't know even where to start.

25. marcipw

marcipw

I have a new issue I have never experienced before.

When building for Android on Windows 7 I get a pop up.

Box header: Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

Debug Error!
    Program: ...gram
    Files\Unity5\Editor\Data\Tools64\UnityShaderCompiler.exe

R6010
    -abort() has been called

(Press Retry to debug the application)

I have three buttons below:
    Abort - Retry - Ignore

Pressing any button results in another popup box:

Box Header: Unity Shader Compiler

Unity Shader Compiler has stopped working

A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Many thanks in advance.

Quick update: This happens when using "Build And Run" and "Build".
    If I choose "Build" I do get a fully working APK though so it is not a huge deal.

26. Aurore

Aurore

Did you use the beta at all? I wasn't able to reproduce this, does it happen every time?

I'll check what may have happened, however I'm sure it was connecting to our servers to get to the login screen before completing the connection.

If you want to doubly make sure, disconnect from the internet and open the editor, select work offline and the square faced man will have a grey tick instead of a blue one, indicating you're working offline, then connect to the internet again.

Should be fixed in the next patch.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  27. O4s

O4s

We had a quick attempt yesterday upgrading and with our project, we lost lots of the assignments/links in the inspectors . I think mainly 3rd party assets and prefabs. UI related links seemed to be intact.

I read above about deleting the library, so I'm not sure if that would help. Anyhow, we'll try again later.

Update

Removing the library fixed this issue however our UI has gone squiffy. It's fine when the window is the same aspect ratio as the target screen size, but elements scale and position incorrectly when it isn't.

28. teemukorh

teemukorh

The nested canvases in UI and their sorting seems to work differently.

29. Aurore

Aurore

Is it online or offline docs (through the editor), for now the most up to date docs are online. (Sorry about that)

Could you create a separate thread in Editor & General Support

30. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Just noticed some issues with depth sorting in UI.
    Can't yet reproduce it in an empty scene, but my in main scene, when I create two images, the bottom one in the hierarchy is not always the topmost one in game.

Edit: Ok, I was able to isolate and report the bug (#703250). I'm going to revert to the previous version and see if it's an older problem.

31. marcipw

marcipw

Thanks for the response Aurore. Will do.

32. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I started to get the compile errors on building to WebGL after upgrading my projects to 5.1

error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MonoBehaviour' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

These errors disappear after changing the build target for anything else than WebGL like WebPlayer.

Where to look for any remedy for that?

33. Aurore

Aurore

Stick to the thread in the WebGL for help.

34. PedroGV

PedroGV

Where's the "_EmissionScaleUI" float parameter of the standar shader that was available in previous versions? Cannot find it on 5.1 for scripting even if it's shown in the editor.

35. PedroGV

PedroGV

Please, I need a response asap to the question in my previous post since it's a breaking change for my project. Thanks.

36. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Read the changelog. They've changed the way emission is handled to use the new HDR color picker.

Aurore likes this.
  37. PedroGV

PedroGV

I read it. But the scale parameter is still present in the editor (it's called "Current Brightness" in the new HDR color picker but I cannot find such parameter exposed on the shader any longer).

38. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

By the way, is the AnimatorState.speed thingy also broken for AnimationState? Or setting AnimationState.speed to 0 does work for that type of anims?

39. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

This is already fixed in 5.1p1.

Not sure I understand the question. What type of animation are you talking about? It doesn't not work for all type.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  40. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

I got unity splash screen in blank and UnityHelper.exe growing in size (more than 400mb) after the update

is this a known isue ¿?

(pro license)
    5.1.0f3

edit: reboot machine fixed it

41. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

A bit late to the party, but... With this matchmaking server, what's the free/pro feature split going to be? I need to know as I have a mobile game in development that will feature matchmaking multiplayer. It would be bad and very un-professional if I can't have more than about 500 players in races at the same time! :(

42. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

500 player races?! Sounds pretty intense.

43. SteveJ

SteveJ

Did I see mention of a problem with hardware cursors? Or is anyone else having problems in that area?

44. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

As a publisher who has some huge packs on the asset store, I was really looking forward to this 5.1. In the release notes, it says that they fixed the bug with packages bigger than 2Gb. Now the big question is: how big a package can be with 5.1? Any size?
    I would be really grateful if someone from unity staff can chime in and give some light.
    thanks in advance.

45. SteveJ

SteveJ

So I found what I'd spotted:

I'm assuming this might have introduced new problems as the hardware cursor now freezes all the time, returns to the centre of the screen, and (strangely) only starts moving again when you hit Escape!

This is on MacOS, when running the game within the Editor.

Very curious to know if anyone else is seeing the same behaviour.

I'm going to try creating an empty project tonight to see if I can replicate it cleanly.

46. jcarpay

jcarpay

Same here. Would be nice if someone at Unity could elaborate on this.

47. Aurore

Aurore

We don't have the pricing options for Multiplayer Services yet.

Not sure but I'll ask around.

If you can reproduce it, can you send that project with a bug report?

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  48. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

I mean a very basic animation. Let me give you an example: I have some water plants that I move back and forth using Unity's animation system (dopesheet) to simulate water waving. The protagonist can climb to them from water when swimming, and at that moment I set AnimationState.speed = 0 so it pauses while the character is climbing out of water grabbed to the plant.

But your release notes say that AnimatorState.speed is the one that doesn't work. Is it a different one or has it been renamed in Unity 5?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  49. Tyua

Tyua

Unity 5.1 is so massively bugged that I do need to revert to Unity 5.0.1, which is a bit less bugged...
    You indeed tested it ???

50. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Thanks a lot! really need to know if it'll be possible to support PBR and legacy for both my biggest packs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.