Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[5.1.3f1] - "Invalid AABB aabb" error...what does this mean devs?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by jcredible, Sep 28, 2015.

1. jcredible

jcredible

I have been working on a project for a little while and was spending the last few days polishing it up when I ran into this weird bug:

Invalid AABB aabb

Appears as a red critical error in the log.

I know it's axis-aligned bounding box and relates to the render bounds. I'm just not sure how what I'm doing impacts that. I've been trying various things but can't seem to fix it. A little background:
    • I have a single canvas in my scene which houses all of my ui.
    • The problem initially surfaced when I had a custom graph object with ~5,000 datapoints which had a UILineRenderer (provided in this topic) when I disabled the line, the error floods the log forever and ever. Likewise if I delete the object...
    • I also noticed it in an area where it wasn't showing up before where I'm dynamically adding, then after clicking on a button deleting 30-200 buttons that exist in a grid (with a content size fitter)
    • The only thing in common between the graph and the buttons that are dynamically populated is that they are both prefabs and that they are nested within a huge hierarchy of horizontal/vertical layout components
    Here's what I have tried so far:
    • Looked at all my ui elements for 0 scale or 0 width/height. I wrote a script too but have not found anything
    • I have tried to narrow down where the problem occurred. I successfully found the UILineRenderer being one cause of the problem (when I make it active and inactive, the error outputs once to the log) but it's not entirely clear it is just the UILineRenderer since a test-project doesn't do it. The button issue I'm still clueless on as I didn't notice it before
    • I tried moving the assets and scene to a new project; the issue still occurs
    • Disabling and reenabling the main canvas will usually stop the error from spamming but will void the interactiveness of the ui
    • Scouring the patch notes / release notes for mentions of this bug. At the very least it'd be nice if the name of the offending object was present

Someone on one topic mentioned possibly a corrupt scene file...I've thought about recreating the scene but it's huge and that would weeks or even months to do, so it's not really a great option. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have not been successful in reproducing it in a sample project to send to Unity. :(

I've been hesitant to upgrade to 5.2 since hearing about all the bugs but does anyone know if 5.2 would fix this bug? I'm currently upgrading to 5.1.3f1 to see if that helps at all.. but not too optimistic.

Last question, if I make a build with this bug will my users see problems? Just running through it on my own really quickly had no ill effects...

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. Senshi

Senshi

About to go, so apologies for the short answer. AABB typically refers to a bounding box; do you have any scripts or components referencing those? Or perhaps some UI rects that get deleted, but are still being referenced? Just a thought.

3. jcredible

jcredible

That's ok Senshi, I appreciate the reply.

I do not have any scripts referencing those objects. The second question is an interesting one, but I don't think so, I will keep investigating that idea though.

That being said, I still see the issue on 5.1.3f1. I am coming to a potential answer though... before deleting those buttons, I tried disabling them (in my example there are 255 of them). Disabling them all caused the issue...disabling 42 of them also gave that same result. Though 42 is probably arbitrary...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  4. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

I occasionally see this error as well but as of yet have not been able to track it down as it would randomly happen and i dont have a good working example that caused it on a consistent basis. If you could give me a bug report about it i'll gladly take a look.

5. wikmanyo

wikmanyo

We have a fairly solid repro of this too, happens alot when using child canvases

6. jcredible

jcredible

@phil-Unity - Thanks Phil! Currently where it is occurring is fairly tied to the project but I'm going to work on getting a smaller project that reproduces it. I'll let you know the bug id once I do.

@wikmanyo - No clue if this is the exact same issue but that would be awesome if it was. FYI: it seems that the multiple canvases issue can be fixed by using "override sorting" on the child canvases. Regardless of whether it is the same bug or not, it's still a bug. And you're not alone. See here. Please do open up a bug report if you can.

--------------

EDIT: A little more information, both issues seem to follow the same pattern. This might not matter at all but when there's a lot of objects (looking at stats it seems ~60-70k verts) the bug seems more likely to happen. If I disable some objects before applying the graph for instance, the bug does not occur.

I noticed this when trying to make a smaller project for @phil-Unity with the same basic structure of the offending object. When I removed a bunch of the containers, the bug did not occur..

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  7. jcredible

jcredible

@phil-Unity - That was tricky! But I was able to reproduce the issue and submit a bug report with an example project. In my description I have several different scenarios, I hope they make sense. The way I reproduced it was with the graph use-case but my guess is if this is reproduced by Unity and fixed, then it will also fix my other situation as well.

I'll let you know about the bug # in the morning. For now I need some sleep :)

---------------------------------------------------

Case # is: 731490

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    phil-Unity likes this.