Search Unity

4X Space Game Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by lathster, Jan 14, 2017.

1. lathster

lathster

Hi Guys,

I am currently setting up a new website called ShadowPlay Coding where I intend to make several big tutorial series for free.

The first project I am working on is a 4X Space Game Tutorial series which currently has 5 parts to it on how to procedurally generate a galaxy and solar systems.

I am trying to make the series suitable for people who know the basics of C# and Unity and more advanced users alike. The aim is to make things work first and then tidy things up and improve efficiency as the series progresses.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated :).

www.shadowplaycoding.com

BerniceChua and SimonDarksideJ like this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What are the other tutorials you have in mind?

3. lathster

lathster

Not too sure yet. I have had an idea for a dungeon keeper style game for a while so maybe that next. Thanks for following the site :)

4. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Tutorials look good. However, the style of the website made it hard to navigate through the tutorials.
    Also, it's good (at the beginning of the project) to layout what you intend to build and its use. SO what am I going to get out of this tutorial and where does it lead to.

But keep going, the content looks intriguing.

5. lathster

lathster

Thanks for the feedback :) . Tidying up the site is a priority just need to find the time. Good idea about the project outline, I will add one as soon as I can :)

6. lathster

lathster

7. lathster

lathster

Parts 10, 11 and 12 are available. Parts 10 and 11 look at making planet orbits and a selection icon to make it easier to see which object the mouse is over.

Part 12 starts setting up the ability to have a spiral galaxy instead of a disk galaxy.

Part 10 Orbits
    Part 11 Selection Icon
    Part 12 Spiral Galaxies

8. lathster

lathster

9. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Quick question, are you planning to put the entire project in a repo or as a single download at some point @lathster ?
    Looking through the tutorials and it does seem hard to keep track of all the different files everywhere when you just want to follow the code with the tutorial.

10. lathster

lathster

I am planning on doing this. I will probably set up a git when I reach part 20. I wanted to get the tutorials established before I started to put together a complete project download (to see how many people would be interested in the series). Now that the tutorial is on part 18 (with part 19 in the process of being written) I feel 20 will be a nice number to start having a proper repo and make it easy for people to follow.

I am also planning on posting all the code on paste bin for people to easily copy and paste the code :).

SimonDarksideJ likes this.
  11. lathster

lathster

There is now a Git for this Project set up here:
    https://github.com/shadowplaycoding/4XSpaceGame

The tutorial itself is on part 23 now.

In the next few weeks I will be updating the website so that it is much more user friendly and appealing.

12. lathster

lathster

The website now has a whole new look. It is much more user friendly

13. OldRod

OldRod

Is this site still up? I can't get it to load...

14. lathster

lathster

It should be i am still actively adding things to it

15. OldRod

OldRod

Yes, it's back up now - must have been a glitch in the matrix :)

Great stuff! Thank you for posting this!