Search Unity

3Ds Max FBX export axis conversion doesn't work

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Timelog, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Timelog

Timelog

Hello,

I am trying to import some models from my 3Ds max application into Unity, however, even though the exporter is set to convert the model to be Y-axis up, when I import my model in Unity, it is rotated 270(-90) degrees. How is this possible?

Here is an image of the settings in the exporter:

alaskandesign likes this.
  2. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

then export it 90 degrees rotated to fix it. it works, but the orientation you export it matters

3. alienheretic

alienheretic

yes it works make sure your object is facing you from the front viewport then set the pivot only rotation to 90,0,0

alaskandesign likes this.
  4. twiesner

twiesner

When you design something in Max to be used in Unity, start from the front viewport. If you did not, do what alienheretic recommends. Go into the hierarchy tab and click on "affect pivot only" and rotate you pivot rotation to 90,0,0.

5. Timelog

Timelog

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry that I respond so late. I noticed that when I have multi object models Unity (or the exporter) places them in a parent object which has the correct rotation (child object will still be rotated though) thus it works "properly" for my game luckily. Will keep the pivot rotation in mind for the future though :)

twienser, how do you mean "start from the front viewport"? You mean I need to see the front viewport as the top of the model or something?

Still weird that it does not work properly though, you would think that enabling the setting should well, convert, the axis.... Is this a problem with Unity, or with the FBX exporter?

6. twiesner

twiesner

When starting brand new in max instead of modeling in the top view port or the perspective, change your current viewport to be the front view (Hot Key "F"). That way when you begin modeling, your object's up-axis will be correct for unity.

7. PauRu

PauRu

I know I am reviving a dead thread..but I've found another solution. You can just Create an Empty Object and put it inside it as a child, then rotate it as you want and you are set. This also works for scripts cause otherwise the behaviour will be crazy like Movement with transform.Translate en such.

8. tswalk

tswalk

the idea though is to have zero'd orientations on import..which you have to muck around in your editor to get it correct on import to Unity.

same thing happens in Maya even when you switch to left-handed orientation, everthing is flipped on import and has to be 'adjusted' in Maya... kinda irritating if you ask me.

9. nightfuryjack

nightfuryjack

Hey i was facing the same issue and finally figured out how it is working. Once whole model is set up you can reset xform for one last time. Once it is done, reset the pivot point orientation in x +90 and after that directly export to engine. If you reset xform after setting x rotation then changes will be lost and axis snaps back to z up weird behavior of max because max is z up world space program.