Search Unity

3ds max - Collapse Scene - BAD MODELER, 20K OBJECTS :(

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by forgottenmindset, Feb 23, 2013.

1. forgottenmindset

forgottenmindset

Hi I've got a whole level that was built by a guy who didn't know that making every modeling detail a separate mesh was a bad thing. Things like railing, each rail is a rectangle. There is so many objects in the scene that I can't even load it in unity, it gives a warning saying that the FBX converter timed out. I've tried reducing the scene objects, but when I export as FBX I get these errors:

Is there a way to collapse all meshes while keeping the texture coordinates in quick an easy way? I really dont want to have to re texture everything. Also there are many textures per model sometimes, I'd like there to be only 1 material per model.

Here are my FBX export errors:

One or more objects in the scene has local axes that are not perpendicular to each other (non-orthogonal).
    The FBX plug-in only supports orthogonal (or perpendicular) axes and will not correctly import or export any transformations that involve non-perpendicular local axes.
    This can create an inaccurate appearance with the affected objects:
    -Sidewalk Left10
    -Sidewalk Right10
    -Sidewalk Left21
    -Sidewalk Right21

Some materials in this scene may not be supported by certain applications and will import as standard gray materials instead. The following materials are affected:
    -08 - Default
    -05 - Default

The following maps are only supported by 3ds Max; they will not be recognized by other applications. To learn how to convert them so they will be compatible with other applications, see the Render Map Dialog topic in the 3ds Max documentation.
    -Map #2
    -Map #3
    -Map #4
    -Map #5...

I tried fixing the last error by going to materials and then right clicking a material and choosing Render Map but it wont let me.. ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. larvantholos

larvantholos

Its not a bad thing. Floating geometry is just fine. If you really wanna combine every object in the scene, you can do so by selecting 1 object, and then start picking elements, or mass picking elements depending on how you want to do it. I'm sure your modeller can do this for you ;)

3. Pix10

Pix10

This means he's likely scaled those objects along the world axis (while they're not world-aligned) - you can fix those objects with Reset X-Form under Utilities. Be careful to make sure they're not parented before doing so as it can break the reset.

The unsupported materials and maps are harder to give advice on as there's several things that can kick that off (a screenshot of the materials slate view might help). If he's using non-Standard materials such as Mental Ray map types, or procedural mapping or blending (such as Mask) nodes, it'll kick off export errors. You could Render to Texture the affected maps, though I'd look at why he's using max-only map types in the first place... I'm guessing he's never made graphics for a game before?

4. zafadadynamic

zafadadynamic

I have a habit of bringing up old threads. Just wanted to say that for this error:

"One or more objects in the scene has local axes that are not perpendicular to each other (non-orthogonal).
    The FBX plug-in only supports orthogonal (or perpendicular) axes and will not correctly import or export any transformations that involve non-perpendicular local axes."

Reset XForm did the trick.