Search Unity

3D audio rotated 90 degrees from actual direction

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HonoraryBob, Mar 1, 2017.

1. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

3D sounds are consistently coming from a direction that's about 90 degrees off, regardless of which audiosource is generating the sound. I couldn't find any rotated GOs that might be causing the problem (one forum post claimed that if an audiosource is rotated it would skew the sound, although that doesn't seem to make much sense. Maybe he meant audiolistener? But that isn't rotated either).

2. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Anyone have any idea what might cause this? My game depends on the player being able to hear the direction of potential threats, so it's crucial to have accurate 3D audio.

3. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Surely someone must have encountered a similar problem or know what might be a possible cause. I'm not sure what else to look for - I eliminated the possibility that it's caused by rotation of GOs.

4. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Ok, I figured it out (and maybe this will help other people even if it's a rare occurrence): it seems to be caused by the fact that my left ear is going deaf, and so the sound coming through the left side of the headphones sounds a lot softer than the right and this throws off my perception of the 3D sound effect. At first I thought it was something wrong with Unity, then I thought there was something wrong with the headphones, but it turns out it's my left ear!