Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Toolkit - 2D in Unity made simple [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by unikronsoftware, Jun 16, 2011.

1. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

There isn't an option but email support and I can sort you out with a patch.

I don't know. I don't have the package to test.

2. Benjamin.chevalier

Benjamin.chevalier

Thanks for the reply.
    Another question : 2d tool kit doesn't seem to support inline images in text meshes out of the box. What would be your suggestion to get this working on our side ? I am an artist but I am working with a programer that can help.
    Fonts are images, we could replace some unused characters with our image, but we'd need to ad more and running out of characters we could replace.

Thanks !
    ben

3. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Create a custom font and instead of replacing characters, add new characters with different unicode characters. You're not limited to the latin charset, you can add as many as you like outside the charset you actually use.

4. Benjamin.chevalier

Benjamin.chevalier

Thank you!

5. J_P_

J_P_

So I know it's been a long while, but I recently ran up against this bug again and think I found the cause. Some of the textures weren't power of 2, which disabled repeat wrap mode and had it fall back to clamp. Editing those source files to be power of 2 seems to fix it, though it messes up positioning/collision boxes etc. Not sure why it wasn't an issue until I upgraded to 4.6.

6. LarryWP

LarryWP

Creating Polygon Colliders
    Note: It is not possible to animate polygon colliders at the moment. 2D Toolkit will create the first collider and will not animate it.

The above is from the docs. I'm not perfectly clear on this. Does this mean that if I create a collider for a rock, and my game throws this rock, is it NOT including the collider?

7. jhocking

jhocking

It's talking about spritesheet animation. So if the sprite changes shape then the collider won't change with it, but the collider is part of the object if you move the overall object.

8. LarryWP

LarryWP

Good. OK, now I know. I bought your book Unity In Action a couple months ago. Great job!

jhocking likes this.
  9. JakeTBear

JakeTBear

I am experiencing an odd behaviour, whenever I rename a sprite collection, make sure it is renamed, open it, add sprites, apply changes, close, the sprite collection resets its name to "Sprite Collection" and so does the dropdown menu when selecting a spritesheet.

Anybody experiencing this? I am using unity 5.3

10. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

@JakeTBear - not seeing that in 5.3f4 with latest tk2d. If you're still having that issue, email support with a repro case and I'll look into it.

11. coder_for_life22

coder_for_life22

I am having some performance issues with too many draw callings..

Does having sprites in one sprite collection reduce draw calls? For example, having sprites from one sprite collection on the scene at once would result in one draw call?

Thanks

12. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi there,

Having sprites in one collection will reduce draw calls. If you organise optimally, you will be able to reduce draw calls massively.

coder_for_life22 likes this.
  13. coder_for_life22

coder_for_life22

Okay so at best try to reduce the amount of sprite collections. I reorganized my game reduced some texture sizes, etc. to minimize sprite collections and I noticed a great improvement in performance.

Thanks

14. firebelly

firebelly

What's the future look like for 2DTK? The roadmap page on the homepage is 404, so I'm curious with Unity 5 being out for a while if there is a vision for version next of 2DTK.

GamerPET likes this.
  15. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

We're currently supporting 2D Toolkit for the foreseeable future. We have a lot of customers using this asset in projects and we intend on supporting it for as long as possible. In terms of adding features, it depends on the dev time that is available - right now with all the large changes happening in every release of Unity, most of our available time goes to supporting those, but if that calmed down a bit I would expect we'd have some more time freed to add a new feature or two, or even publish one of the many features that are developed but not tested sufficiently for release. So yeah I know that doesn't answer your question, but hopefully sheds some light on our dev / support process.

The roadmap page on the homepage is 404 - which link do you mean? I can't find a link to the roadmap page on the homepage, please let me know so I can fix it.

16. jprocha101

jprocha101

@unikronsoftware I think they mean the roadmap link in your forum, see attached screenshot. This asset looks cool, I might get it while its on sale.

@firebelly It should be pointing here: 2dtoolkit.com/roadmap

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  17. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hey thanks for that! I must've missed that broken link during server migration... Fixed.

jprocha101 likes this.
  18. Ultroman

Ultroman

So, I have a pixel-art game, currently with a base-resolution of 1280x720, with PPU at 32, so it is 40 units wide. I need to make it clamped in width on all devices, meaning I need it to show the same amount of Unity-units in width on any resolution/aspect. The amount of units shown in height does not matter.

Is that possible with 2DTK, while still retaining pixelperfection?

I could add a small buffer on the sides, to help with this, but I'd rather just have it clamped.
    Obviously I would need at least 1x, 2x and 4x assets.
    Can this only be achieved with black bars in some resolutions?

I'm not necessarily looking for a huge write-up. I just want to know if it is possible, because I've been reading about this plugin for a year now, and can't really decide whether it's worth it. Now I've finally gotten around to making a game I actually want to launch, and because of the difficulties with pixelperfection, I am thinking about throwing in the towel, and going 3D instead.

19. JakeTBear

JakeTBear

Hey @Ultroman

It is very possible, in the tk2dCamera there is an option to "fit width", this will keep your aspect ratio while taking in consideration the size of the device.

You can also stretch to fit if you want that, and you can have multiple cameras that behave differently (great for UI), Hope this helps!

Ultroman likes this.
  20. Ultroman

Ultroman

Thank you very much for your answer! That takes a load off my heart :D

21. frekiidoochmanz

frekiidoochmanz

22. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

The playmaker plugin is in the asset itself in the Goodies subfolder, you will need to import the package after importing tk2d and playmaker.

That link should be http://2dtoolkit.com/forum/index.php/topic,1954.0.html from when we moved domain, still works but a later version is included in the build.

23. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Hello,
    how to I mix 2dtoolkit with new unity UI ?
    I wish to put a 2d toolkit sprite above a unity UI element, and integrate with the canva hierarchy. How I can do that ?
    (I found a solution by using a second camera, but maybe there is a cleaner solution with canvas and ui sorting layer)

Thanks in advance.

24. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

You can do it quite easily if you're using a world space Unity UI. This may work for you.

We also have a WIP method to create a unity sprite (both sprite renderer and Unity UI) from tk2d atlas data that works in some cases (no special types yet!), if there's some interest we might prioritise completing that, its a back burner project right now.

25. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I bought 2DToolkit way back before Unity UI (Unity 4.6) was released. And I have yet to use it. Is there a list of changes made to 2D Toolkit for use with newer versions of Unity 5.x and especially the new Unity UI?

26. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

@TokyoDan - We've been fixing bugs and compatibility issues with Unity 5 but not published any new features specific for Unity 5 / new UI. As I was alluding to in the previous post, we have some backburner stuff that is WIP but not had a great deal of interest in that so not prioritising that particularly right now. Happy to change our minds if there is enough interest though!

27. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Hello unikronsoftware,
    I tried the world space Unity UI and it don't work (I don't know why), and I will have to do some dirty tricks (resizing the canvas by hands for example).
    It would really be great to mix tk2d sprite with unity GUI.

28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

29. MobinYaqoob

MobinYaqoob

30. Anton-Argunov

Anton-Argunov

Hello unikronsoftware,

Will you support, update, expand 2D Toolkit in further?
    Right now I want to launch several my 2D projects, and really I want to use your solution.
    I have been using 2D Toolkit about 3 years, and I want to know about your plans.

Thanks.

31. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

@Anton-Argunov 2D Toolkit is currently in long term support mode. We plan on supporting it for the forseeable future, but at this moment we dont have enough time to add any new features.

docsavage likes this.
  32. treecki

treecki

I'm am building a top down Action RPG in Unity and bought 2D Tool Kit to basically solely use the Tile Editor for the game. I am using it but I am running into a lot of problems because 2D Tool Kit uses its own sprite rendering system and I am trying to use either both or Unity's only. I initially solved this by making all the tiles prefabs and having the editor linked to the prefabs but this is getting pretty clunky to have 2 different sets of tile editors linked to each other. I'm also having the problem of spawning objects that are bigger than 1 tile because they will get set to the middle of the object and only show one tile when in editor mode. I fixed this by adjust the anchor to be in the middle of the bottom left tile, but this is also pretty clunky.

So my question is, is there a way to get 2D Tool Kit to use its renderer with Unity's? I like using Unity's animation controller and I already have a lot of things set for it. Also running into a lot of problems with very small gaps within the tiles, but that might be from spawning all the prefabs?

33. KeinZantezuken

KeinZantezuken

Anyone has any idea how can I calculate sprite displayed pixel height with tk2dSprite?
    I can get bounds but I cant use .sprite.pixelsPerUnit;

34. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

35. nomatix

nomatix

36. TerryBogardChan

TerryBogardChan

Hi! when I import 2d toolkit in my project, I got this error
    UnityEngine.RuntimePlatform.OSXDashboardPlayer' is obsolete: `Dashboard widget on Mac OS X export is no longer supported in Unity 5.4+

how can I fix it?

37. uni7y

uni7y

have the same error, would also like to know how to solve this!

38. mrPRAZ

mrPRAZ

Having the same error as above, interested in learning how to resolve. Thanks~

39. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

What version of Unity are you on, and what version of 2D Toolkit?

40. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Never mind, I found the issue with Unity 2017.2. I've uploaded a fix now.

41. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi I have this pause menu when you click the pause button the pause menu gets activated but I was wondering if you can disable button clicks when the pause menu is activated because as it is the pause button can still be clicked when the pause menu is activated.

42. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

Does anyone know if 2D Toolkit diced sprites work with Unity UI (uGUI) system?

43. jhc1520

jhc1520

Hi!

I'm building my levels with the tilemap tool of 2d toolkit, and I want to know if there's a system of rules for a faster construction, something like the rule tiles of unity. Is this possible with the tilemap tool of 2d toolkit?

44. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

Hi there @unikronsoftware

We left a message in your website forums but it has been stuck there in moderation for days, and we would need an answer with a possible approach for this.

We had to upgrade to 2018.3 before launch (this January) but now we're not able to commit changes in any collection (just wanted to rescale them). We tried the solution given in that thread (reimporting 2DT), but to no avail. Is there any other workaround for this? Or should we do something else aside from just reimporting the package from the Asset Store?

Thanks in advance.

CoCoNutti likes this.
  45. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Same. We're desperate for a fix here - our project has come to a standstill

46. MKrohn

MKrohn

Same here! Please update 2D Toolkit to be compatible with Unity 2018.3!

CoCoNutti likes this.
  47. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Zero response for months now - not just here but in the "official forum" they mention above as well. I think this plug-in is dead in the water.
    @unity-admin-dfw can it be removed from the store so people don't pay good money for a redundant plug-in? Thanks.

48. firstuser

firstuser

Although support has been slower recently it's not fair to say that it's dead, he did an update recently (it was a lot of work to make it compatible with 2018.3+ and so it took a reasonable amount of time to fix) and has communicated on the official forum as well, even made a beta available before the latest release.

Not saying support couldn't be better, perhaps he's stretched thin, but it's far from dead. Personally I would like to see more new features and would happily pay for them, but that's another discussion.

49. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

I've had multiple breaks that have detached the sprite from the game object and have to reimplement sprites throughout my app after updating a sheet. It took hours to do this. So it's far from 'compatible' when it's breaking all the time in many ways.

50. firstuser

firstuser

I think that is an unrelated issue that I ran into as well back in Unity 2017. I doubt it has anything to do with the recent compatibility update. I think it had something to do with meta files but never really quite figured it out since it's been fine on other projects and on the broken project a custom workaround was implemented that would re-link things automatically.