Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Platformer Asset Toolset

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Vitaly3V, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Vitaly3V

Vitaly3V

I am working to create a story driven 2d (2.5D maybe) Platformer (with a little bit of survival) and looking for some assets that will ease the development to a point, I could call "ASAP".

The tools I am considering are:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26617 (Pltformer Corgi Engine)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43863 (Platformer Pro)

Could you recommend these assets or any other tools that could add benefits?
    If you created a Platformer before - what was your workflow?

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

(This question would be better placed in the Asset Store or General Discussion forum, since the Game Design forum is about design issues such as story building, balancing abilities, etc.)

Both kits are good. Check the feature lists carefully in case one offers something you need that the other doesn't. Some people say Platformer Pro is easier to customize with scripting, but it also requires a little extra scripting to implement some of the features that are built into Corgi. Corgi gives you some more features out of the box, and it's not too hard to customize with scripting either.

They both feel a little different to play. Thoroughly test the demo scenes to see if you prefer the feel of one over the other.

Also check the documentation and video tutorials for both. Your personal learning style might work better with one kit or the other.

If you want "ASAP" -- that is, to start making your game right away instead of reinventing a platformer engine first -- either is a good choice.

Vitaly3V likes this.
  3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Corgi Engine is the go-to for 2d platformer assets.

Also, Sebastian Lague has a fantastic video series on 2d platformer controllers.

But, yeah. Next time try to post in the correct section.

Vitaly3V likes this.
  4. Vitaly3V

Vitaly3V

Thanks for the answer! Sounds promessing!

Really sorry for mixing up the sections. I got the impression that the "Assets and Asset Store" is more for Asset creators...

5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I can see why you'd think that.

No worries.

The community has just had struggles with people posting whatever they want wherever they want to get as many views as possible.

You're clearly not doing that, so don't worry about it.

Vitaly3V likes this.