Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request 2D NavMesh

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by optimise, Sep 19, 2016.

1. optimise

optimise

Hi, does 2D NavMesh still in development?

2. enhawk

enhawk

theres a lot of plugins out there that can do this for a few dollars, and tutorials online about how to make your own.

3. BTStone

BTStone

Well, there also lots of tutorials online how to make your own engine ;)
    There's 3D NavMesh - so a 2D version would make sense to expand the 2D Toolset in Unity.

Zelek and dirtycoder like this.
  4. darthbator

darthbator

I think it's pretty silly that unity doesn't have any manner of in built 2d pathfinding. No matter how much asset store support is out there I think it would be really nice to have something default available right out of the box!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Zelek and dirtycoder like this.
  5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

If you're talking about 'top-down' 2D navmesh, then I believe the new navmesh baking technology (which we'll be launching a preview of pretty soon now) will be able to handle it, as it allows you to define navmesh surfaces that have any orientation (so you can make the up-vector be -Z). Might not be as simple as clicking the bake button, but you'll be able to write scripts that feed 2D colliders into it as inputs at least.

6. darthbator

darthbator

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted (could also be a side view mesh for underwater/space stuff). I think it would be a SUPER valuable feature to consider for inclusion into the experimental 2D tools. All I really want is to be able to do is define some manner of rect and then bake a navmesh against Collider2D objects considered against the X/Y coords of that plane. There's a lot of asset store packages that allow you to build A* grids that work well in 2D so I've never bothered to look into what using the navmesh system might entail. However it seems, from an external perspective, it might be a fairly low cost feature that could be pretty impactful for 2D developers.

7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The navmesh work is being done by a totally separate team to the 2D tools, and on totally separate branches, so you will probably not see it in any experimental 2D builds - I would expect you need to wait until they each move out of the experimental phase and into a mainline Unity release.

8. darthbator

darthbator

Oh I'm not suggesting it somehow gets done right now I'm just saying once the new navmesh stuff matures enough that other features could be coded against it I feel it would be great to roll that in as an experimental 2D feature. I was sort of just assuming that features from the experimental 2D builds would kinda trickle into the stable branch of unity rather then being delivered in some big feature dump all at once.

9. Xelnath

Xelnath

Honestly, the A* Pathing plugin does such a good job for such a cheap price, its well worth the cost.

10. darthbator

darthbator

The cost of free? (You only need to pay for RVO). That's not the point though. I think there should really be a provided tool for something as common as pathfinding.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  11. Xelnath

Xelnath

Free is amazing... and I think you don't get it.

Why should unity spend time and money on pathfinding, meaning we lose out on other, more important, features, when a fantastic, free plugin does it better (because the developer is focused on this solution)?

12. BTStone

BTStone

The same reason why Unity delivered a new UI, although there were tons of popular plugins out there (NGUI, EZGUI and so on) :p

13. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

@darthbator You assume correctly. Features that are ready will be released, so no waiting for all to be completed for a big release. Naturally once its in a release, it will be in the 2D Experimental Previews as a released along with other experimental features (existing or new). :)

14. castor76

castor76

Will it be runtime enabled?