Search Unity

2D graphics: Game Maker vs. Unity

Discussion in '2D' started by juicebox_boy, Mar 24, 2017.

1. juicebox_boy

juicebox_boy

I know I probably shouldn't be talking about game maker on this site but looking to create animation similar to cuphead

I'm an animator, can't say I'm perfect, but looking to drawn and scan these in

I got the new game maker studio for like 90% off since I got a humble bundle of it for like $20 compared to the $500 dollar system ($60 to upgrade but people will have to fork up a lot more so is why I bought it).

I originally was going to give it a "detailed" pixel art style. I know I have to practice so please don't look at me as "oh I got a really good idea how can I make the game in a day!?"
    ...we all love those people

SUM UP:
    Difference between 2D game maker vs unity with graphics and if it's able to handle hand drawn animation without slowing down

2. LiberLogic969

LiberLogic969

Performance wise you will be fine in both engines.

When it comes to pixel art Unity will take some extra work to get pixel perfect rendering. There can be a lot of gotcha's with pixel art in Unity unfortunately, and you may need to go through a couple iterations before you have your workflow figured out. There are a few settings that need to be adjusted, turned on/off, etc.

Plenty of tutorials and/or asset store packages out there for getting that kind of thing up and running. Here's some info and a free asset to get you started :)

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/06/19/pixel-perfect-2d/
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/64563

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I question why you want to copy the graphical style of another game. The fact that cupped has a very unique graphical style is what sets IT apart from other games and gives it an identity. If you do the same thing, you are NOT going to set your game apart from other games. People will say... oh look, it looks like they copied cuphead.

theANMATOR2b likes this.