Search Unity

2d game, they are still worth the time and effort?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enzoravo, Apr 29, 2017.

1. enzoravo

enzoravo

Hello, i'm wondering about how the 2d games are actually accepted in the gamers community?

i saw a few remakes of old "good" games sank in the forgotten realm; also 2d games from indies developers tend to lost they goodness and shiness quickly.

Please post a reply with your opinion about this topic.

thanks in advance for the help.

2. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

If it's good, it's good. People like all kinds of things. 2D is no exception. Just follow your passion, and you'll learn as you go about the market and how you fit in. Both are great. The feel you convey, and your ability to market your product and vision, are way more important. Sure 3d may reach a broader audience on systems that aren't casual, but 2D is able to make a lot of money.

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Does it matter? There is no broad "gamer community", there are different groups and types of people who play games. Today, everyone plays games. Candy crush is a billion dollar game. And 2d isn't a genre or type of game.

Make the game you want, and if you make it good, find the market for it. There are hit games of all styles and types.

Ayrik, Ryiah, zenGarden and 1 other person like this.
  4. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

As PositiveMox said, if your game is good, it's good.

I find myself missing some of the older classics and I'm always on the look out for good modern 2D platformers.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

If a game is good, it is good.

Some examles of good 2d gams:
    Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, VA-11 Hall-A. FTL

Some examples of popular 2d games:
    Terraria, Starbound.

Plus there's a whole visual novel scene.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  6. enzoravo

enzoravo

thank you to all of your for all your point of view; they helped me a lot.

7. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Yeah I think they hit it on the head. You can basically test this for yourself by just hanging out on game websites. Of course, you'll have people who love various genres of games that are more commonly found in either 2D or 3D but still I think it is more of the game itself than it is the 2D/3D or anything else.

Here's some games I just checked out browsing around GameJolt

2D Games

Tujate Views: 3,000 Plays: 700 Ratings: 24 (with 20 of them being Good, Great or Perfect)

Space Barnacle Views: 3,200 Plays: 1,100 Ratings: 24 (with 21 of them being Good, Great or Perfect)

LineWorld
    Views: 1,800 Plays: 320 Ratings: 18 (with 17 of them being Good, Great or Perfect)

3D Games

Beast Mode: Night of the Werewolf Views: 85 Plays: 44 Ratings: 0

Mystic: Prelude Views: 174 Plays: 52 Ratings: 0

Basically, no matter if you are using 2D or 3D, making thrown together graphics or beautiful renders... make a very interesting great game. And then no matter if you make a great game or a lame game... figure out how to get people to check it out. That is what will make the most difference for you. And this is easy to see just by spending time at any of the many game sites out there. :)

Something to consider, for example, is the three 2D games I listed above all have very strong ratings. What the devs need to do is get more people to try the games. Plain and simple. It isn't the games themselves that need to be improved in those cases it is the marketing.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    MasterSubby likes this.
  8. enzoravo

enzoravo

thank you for your advice GarBenjamin.