Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Experimental Preview Release 4

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Johaness_Reuben, May 8, 2017.

1. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

We are excited to bring you the 2D Experimental Preview 4. This release is primarily focused on Tilemap. Along with Preview 4, we are including a really cool demo project, RoboDash.

The RoboDash demo project was a prototyping experiment to test workflow and also create an example of using Brushes and Tiles in a development scenario. We had one developer work with an external game artist for a few weeks to create the prototype with a primary goal of using brushes and tiles setup to make level building for artists and designers faster and more fun! So check out the demo project for what was achieved.

An important thing to note - This demo project was developed as a fast prototype, so the game-play code itself is not optimized, it contains some not so good practices and was only used as a base game. With the base game, we could start creating a setup, where a developer would create Brushes and Tiles for a level artist or designer to quickly create game levels. That said, the Brushes and Tiles are the actual examples to learn from - the rest of the demo project should be looked at with caution.;)

Tilemap Improvements and Breaking Changes
    We have made quite a few improvements and changes to the Tilemap features in Preview 4. Unfortunately to provide some of these improvement, there are some breaking changes - Check below for what these are.

Tilemap Changes
    • Store changes for script instances of GridBrushes
    • Added support for Masking with Tilemap
    • Added immediate updating for TilemapCollider2D without use of CompositeCollider2D
    • Moved Grid color to EditorSettings
    • Moved TilemapRenderer focus mode selection to SceneView window
    Major changes in Tilemap Palette
    • Moved UI elements for better user experience
    • Added painting target dropdown to Tilemap Palette
    • Add Move tool
      • Select a selection of tiles with the Select tool and move the selection using the Move too
    • Removed multi-layer painting from Tilemap Palette
    • Added Palette Asset to differentiate prefabs from Palette prefabs
      • Use Palette Asset to determine sizing for Palette Grid
      • Load all Palette Assets in project to Tilemap Palette on start
    • Added mouse cursors for different Tilemap Palette tool modes
    Tilemap API changes
    • (GridBrush) Changed IGridLayout => GridLayout
    • (GridBrush) Changed painting target from GameObject[] to GameObject
    • (GridBrush) Add CustomGridBrushAttribute to control GridBrush behaviour in the Tilemap Palette
      • m_HideAssetInstances: Do not show asset instances of GridBrush in palette
      • m_HideDefaultInstance: Do not show script instance of GridBrush in palette
      • m_DefaultBrush: Set this as the Default GridBrush for the palette. Only one GridBrush should be set as the Default GridBrush
      • m_DefaultName: Set this as the name for the script instance of the GridBrush
    • (Tilemap) Tilemap does not inherit from ITilemap
    Tilemap Breaking Changes:eek:
    • (Tile) Change serialised names for Tile members
    • (Tilemap components) Change Component Ids for all Tilemap components (Tilemap, TilemapRenderer, TilemapCollider2D)
    While we can't support backward compatibility for experimental projects - here is something that my be helpful.

2D Experimental Preview Download Assistant
    This build is the 2D Experimental Preview 4 build. The version displayed is Unity 2017.1.0x2-2D Build. As we iterate through improvements, changes and fixes, we will release more previews.

Warning!!!
    Project backward compatibility between Experimental Preview versions is NOT GUARANTEED. Always backup your project before upgrading. Preview features here are not production ready, please DO NOT use this build for your final production. Experimental features may be discontinued/dropped.

Download the build from here:
    Updated May 11th 2017
    Windows Download Assistant
    Mac Download Assistant

Preview 4 (RoboDash) Demo Project

This Demo WILL ONLY work with the 2D Experimental Preview 4 build.
    Demo Project
    Some vIdeos on the demo project are in this thread.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. der_r

der_r

Amazing work guys. :O

3. sheddy29

sheddy29

Ok but where is Smart Sprite ??? this is the best i want :/

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  4. der_r

der_r

5. sheddy29

sheddy29

wooow Rly ?? 2011 6 year this cool work :/ 6 man :(

GreenCubeGames likes this.
  6. douglasparker

douglasparker

Awesome stuff!

7. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Hi All. Apologies, the original download links I posted where for an older build. :oops:
    I've just updated them to the most recent build. Please download again as it does have some differences.:)
    Again, sorry for the trouble. I think I was too excited to get this out I didn't check the links. :D

8. plauk

plauk

Wooo!

9. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

Where is the tilemap grid color?

10. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

@AssembledVS Edit > Preferences > Colors > Grid Component

AssembledVS likes this.
  11. DocLovepeace

DocLovepeace

Demo project has an amazing look and feel.
    Thanks a lot for keeping 2D alive in Unity!

12. jehk27

jehk27

Running into some problems:

1) I cannot rename game objects in the Hierarchy window by double clicking on them. I double click on a game object. The name becomes editable. As soon as I type anything it stops being editable. EDIT: This issue seems to be intermittent. When I start Unity I can rename objects by double clicking. After working for awhile this stops working.

2) I cannot change the materials of any sprite renderers by clicking on the down arrow next to the material and selecting a different material.

null ref.png

The above two issues are super annoying and make my current workflow a real pain.

Feedback on the tilemaps:

3) This is an enhancement but can the grid on Tile Palette window take into consideration the tile anchor of the current tilemap (or maybe the sprite pivot - not sure how it works)? All my sprites have a bottom left pivot. All my tilesmaps have a tile anchor of 0,0,0. This aligns everything perfectly in my scene. The bottom left corner of the tiles in my tilemaps and the bottom left corner of my sprites align to integer world coordinates. This makes a whole bunch of things easier for me. However, the grid on Palette Window is jacked. Added screenshot.

pla grid.png

4) Finally I feel like the tilemap dropdown in the Palette Window is kinda useless. The tilemap ordering isn't at all like what I have in my scene. EDIT: It just makes things confusing and it constantly resets to the first layer in that list! I've been painting on the wrong layer for the last 10 mins because it switched to a different tilemap instead of sticking to the last one I selected from the scene.

tilemap dropdown.png

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    rakkarage likes this.
  13. jehk27

jehk27

Another issue.

4) Tile Palette edit doesn't not work. I click edit, move some tiles around in the palette. However, when I save the scene all those tiles go back to the original place.

14. jehk27

jehk27

5) I cannot delete custom resolutions from the Game windows. I click on them and nothing.

game-rez.png

15. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

@jehk27 This forum is only for things related to the 2D preview, which currently only contains the tile map. The preview is based on 2017.1 beta 4, so anything not related to the tile map is just a problem with the beta build.

16. jehk27

jehk27

@Jay-Pavlina These are all for the current 2d experimental build. Is there a better place to submit feedback or issues? I ran into a lot of stuff in this time around and I'd really like to see the tilemap feature mature because its awesome.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  17. Dejan90

Dejan90

First of all a big thank you to everybody who had been working hard inorder to bring us this great experimental preview 4!!!

@jehk27 Your first stated issue (at least for me) is only happening while the Tile Palette window is chosen. Choosing anohter window, or closing the Tile Palette, should re-enable you to rename GameObjects in the hirachy.

18. bluefoxicy

bluefoxicy

There are multiple things here, including TileMap and SmartSprite.

I've been waiting since like 2015 for delivery of 2D TileMap. Since then, Unity Technologies has hired a new Product Manager to get things rolling out the door more smoothly. It seems 2D wasn't and isn't high on the list.

I"d like to know why this hasn't been broken down into a long-running program of smaller projects so we can have status on both. It would seem to me that Smart Sprite and TileMap shouldn't impede the development and delivery of each other; and basic features of TileMap should be deliverable before more-advanced features. Smart Sprite looked like it was viable years ago, and I'm not sure what the hold-up is.

19. jehk27

jehk27

The Ambient Color for Environmental Lighting keeps getting constantly reset to white. I can't really do any lighting work. I've also had my tilemap corrupted a number of times. I don't really care to look into why at this point. I'm sorry to sound negative but this build is a mess. I understand its experimental. I understand that preview features won't be complete or work perfectly but this is just unusable. Whelp. Eagerly waiting preview 5 now.

20. Kakapio

Kakapio

I've been using the tile editor, and have found it to be quite intuitive. I've run into an issue, however, with colliders. My 2d character controller only collides with colliders found in the "Platforms" layer. I've set the grid and its child to that layer, but my character still doesn't collide with the placed tiles. Do I have to do something to enable 2d colliders?

Gif of issue:

21. freedomize

freedomize

I really hope that Tilemap will be in Unity 2017.2. As far as I can see, it is designed primarily for top-down games. Does it have enough functionality for platformers? Can I use it to place custom prefabs(enemies, 2d effectors etc.)?

22. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

still no smart sprite? its been 2 years now no news about it.

23. Iain-Lobb

Iain-Lobb

My partner and I have just released a huge pack of 2D sprites and tiles (over 1,500) to the asset store - created with these upcoming 2D features in mind: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/89857 - will be updating with brushes etc once the features launch for real. I have a couple of free codes I could share for people doing public demos - e.g. blog posts, twitch streams, youtube etc.

AntFitch likes this.
  24. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

Really loving the new preview! :) Quick question, I can't seem to get deferred lighting (the new one and legacy) to work after I've implemented a tilemap into a scene? If I start a new scene and/or project it works until I start using the tilemap editor, then it gets completely greyed out and forces forward rendering. If I force unity to only use deferred the camera renders the tilemap completely black.

Note : I'm using unitys standard pbr shaders on the tilemaps, have never had a problem with deferred rending before.

Attached Files:

25. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

@freedomize It seems to me it's as functional for a top down game as it is side scrolling platformer, and yes you can attach prefabs to tiles.

@jehk27 This was happening to me, my solution is to get out of the tilemap palette window (close it, or select another tab to get it off screen) and it will stop resetting to white. Seems to be a feature they might introduce to light the tilemap when editing.
    @Dejan90 My solution is to rename them in the inspector window instead for now, seems to work.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    freedomize likes this.
  26. plauk

plauk

My understanding is that deferred rendering is only supported by perspective cameras. If you're using an orthographic camera it would fall back to forward rendering. Unless something has changed recently, you should be getting a warning in the camera's inspector like so:

deferred.PNG

If you're using a perspective camera, then I have no idea. o_O

CosmicBoy likes this.
  27. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

Thanks @plauk that's understood, have all of the cameras set to perspective (would love to used ortho with deferred, currently using a perspective camera at a good distance away with the FOV pulled all the way down to simulate that)

28. javiersam

javiersam

Hi!!! How can I get the TileMapRenderer object or the Grid by code?

29. danbrani

danbrani

30. Ziboo

Ziboo

I wanted to congrats ! The example project "RoboDash" is top notch.
    It showcase really well the new features, I wish everytime a new feature come out of Unity we would have something like that.
    Good job everyone in the 2D Team, for the release and the project.

Note: The project is missing the 'TintBrush'. I reanable it, but it's not by default. Maybe by choice ?

jeanpoolay likes this.
  31. nu-urth

nu-urth

Does it work with Unity 2017.1.0f3 ?

32. ArthurT

ArthurT

No, TileMap is only included from Unity 2017.2 which you can already try out.

33. OtakuD

OtakuD

Tested out the tilemap in 2017.2 and it seems really cool but too complex right now for me to delve into with my deadlines. I really hope that "9-slice" (3x3) brushes are scripted by default when it's released and that they have a nice editor layout with thumbnails to set them rather than a scary looking list of lists.... I know I could code that all myself with an editor script but boy that seems like a lot of work for something that is so basic in programs like Tiled - which I will be porting over from.

Maybe it's difficult because of the lack of documentation, all-in-all though it will be very useful to 2D creators, will cross fingers and hope for the best at release.

Edit: Just has a look at some of the tilesets I work with and a number are 4x4 to allow for single thin lines of the tile up/down (tiles 1-3 for top and tiles 4,7,10 for down) as well as a single tile (tile 0) for when it is not conected to the set. Just in case it's needed for an example. Warning: Programmer art!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    konsic likes this.
  34. BMYU

BMYU

Yes! You guys are awesome. Please keep developing awesome things for 2D lovers!

35. Riddlah

Riddlah

Hi. Thank you very much for this experimental build and Robo Dash Project. Already learned a lot from it.

I have question about stuff i dont understand.
    There are two classes
    Renderer Texture Compositor
    Renderer Texture Camera

Which are attatched to Camera.

What is purpose of this classes ? I could not figure out by looking at the code!

36. kenshimx

kenshimx

How do I flip horizontal a tile group in tile palette or scene?

37. Ziboo

Ziboo

It's for rendering the soft shadows around the walls when you build with the Level Brush

Riddlah likes this.
  38. ffman22

ffman22

hey do this experimental tools have the option of import tmx file?

39. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

@ffman22 There is no option to import tmx files.

40. ribbs23

ribbs23

Hi, just loaded project into Unity 2017.2 and I'm getting an error 'GridInformation' can't be found are you missing a directive or assembly, does this not work with the latest Unity release?

Edit: Never mind just found a 2017.2 master on github

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  41. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

no smart sprite yet in unity. Also some commonly used 2D features are still not available in unity. Gm or cocos2d has them.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  42. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Right now I would recommend Game Maker if your making a 2D game, Unity just does not cut it and wont for at least 1+ years more.

43. Dunk86

Dunk86

I recently made a TMX importer for this purpose:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/102928
    I've submitted an update for it with a lot of improvements, but it hasn't appeared on the asset store yet.

44. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

By GM you mean studio 1 or studio 2?

45. runevision

runevision

How do I rotate or flip part of a tilemap (2017.2 + 2d-extras repo)? Select + move tool seem to only allow translating. I read some notes in old posts about shortcut keys , and . to rotate and x and y to flip, but I can't find out how to use that functionality if it's still present.

Also, how do I multi-select tiles? Using the select tool, I can select all tiles within a rectangle so multi-selection of tiles must be supported, but I can't use shift or ctrl to add to the selection, like in all other parts of Unity. For tiles that do not lie within a rectangle, I have so far had to modify their properties one by one.

(Asking as user here, not as Unity employee.)

Also, when selecting tiles so the Inspector shows a Grid Selection, if the docs button is pressed it just goes to manual page for MonoBehavior. I couldn't find any documentation in the manual on the properties shown in the Grid Selection editor.

46. keely

keely

(Answering as user, not as Unity employee. :))

hotkeys [ and ] to rotate or ALT-[ and ALT-] to flip

Unfortunately it only supports rectangular selection. Additionally the SHIFT and CTRL are reserved for quickly changing into erasing and picking mode.

Not sure where the docs are for that specifically.

Grid Selection inspector shows you the properties related to that cell. The properties that are gray are the ones that the Tile is overriding so you can't change them. The ones that are active are free to be changed and the change is stored in Tilemap component. The last two checkboxes "Lock Color" and "Lock Transform" you can never change, but they are informing you why some things are gray and some are not.

Disclaimer: My answer is based on 2017.2 (not experimental) and the assumption you are using vanilla Tile & Tilemap and not something custom.

runevision likes this.
  47. runevision

runevision

Ah! These do not work at all on my non-US keyboard, but luckily I found them in the shortcut preferences and after assigning new shortcuts it does work! Rotating works great (rotates both pattern and the individual tiles) while flipping is a bit strange in that it flips the pattern but not the individual tiles.

But being able to do these helps a lot!

I hope multi-selection beyond rectangular can be supported in the future. It feels like a really basic omission.

Shift is not reserved for erasing when the selection tool is active.

Right. None of this is apparent, or even documented as far as I could see. Needs a substantive UX and docs pass. :)

48. auroraDev

auroraDev

Is here a good place to raise the suggestions about the TiledMap tool of Unity ?

49. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Can we get an update please, been an entire month?

People are interested in 2D you know. I would hope that seeing as a vast majority of mobile games are made with Unity and are in fact big earners for Unity, perhaps they would put more effort into 2D than this.

Please keep us updated without us having to chase after you. I have asked for an update multiple times and always have to chase you, its very frustrating and makes it feel like without prodding you simply forget about 2D.

50. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

A monthly blog post with all the progress from the previews build would be a welcome thing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018