Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. drewradley

drewradley

Hi, I'm using 2.0 and it works fine for me. Are you getting any errors?

2. retired

retired

No errors at all.

3. drewradley

drewradley

Hmm. Not sure. Have you checked the obvious such as the script is attached to the weapon prefab and that the weapon is set up to use the animation set you want? Other than that, I don't know.

4. retired

retired

Getting this error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EquipControl.Update () (at Assets/EquipControl.cs:19)

5. drewradley

drewradley

Oh, I know what's wrong! It supposed to be attached to the player NOT the weapon. I totally screwed that up in the post. Sorry about that.

6. retired

retired

Awesome! Working great, much appreciated drewradly.

7. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

How is the shooter pack going? Do you think we can get our hands on it before march or can you release a beta and everyone helps you fix bugs?

3333333.jpg

8. Invector

Invector

Oh I forgot to post here, last time I checked gifs didn't work so take a look on the vForum
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/180/preview-shooter-template

Yeah we're thinking on release a beta first on the asset store, instead of a full release
    the core code is very functional and pretty stable, the only problem is Animations, our freelancer 3D animator is busy until march and we didn't find anyone that could replace him yet

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    macodys likes this.
  9. jgiroux

jgiroux

Hello all, just wanted to point out again, you should really check out the personal forums of Invector : http://invector.proboards.com/

Its full of helpful community members who are constantly raising the bar on this package by including Add-Ons, script snippets, and just general knowledge on the system and how it works.

here are just a few of the Add-Ons available and in the works (sorry some shameless plugs of my own in there)

Chronicmans RPG Pack
    http://ibb.co/dgkULa

and his Achievement Add-On
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/142/achievement-system-v2

jgirouxs All Vehicles Controller

nerdares Survival Kit
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/123/custom-survival-system

sjmtechs FirstPerson Camera add-on
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/41/camera-addon-basic-combat-template

and a lot more. So if you are an owner of Invectors controller, you are not doing yourself any favors by not taking a peek at those forums.
    or if you are just thinking about purchasing, head on over and come talk with us, we can maybe help you make a decision. We don't work for Invector we are just all users passionate about their work, so our answer will be honest and upfront.

and holy hell, the shooter template......looking so so so good....

Weblox, Invector and neoshaman like this.
  10. Frax228

Frax228

when will be Diablo style

11. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

That would be a dream, but unfortunately no multiplayer is supported, and thats bad

12. Kale

Kale

Though, it already has a top down option I believe.

13. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Hey Invector, any news on a release date? I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty.

14. Invector

Invector

We will work on a topdown melee & shooter controller after a stable release of the shooter

Getting close :p, I will post some news later tonight!

15. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

16. Invector

Invector

I was going to post somethings but we can't announce anything that is not solid enought to be announced, for now I can say that we receive some nice animations of a friend to work on and we had to adapt a few things from the animations we used to prototype, but now the controller is felling much more solid and it plays well.

One of the most time consuming things while developing this template is that we need to make sure that the controller feels good, the responsiveness of animations and controller need to work together. It's really hard to find that sweet spot, but I think we finally got there! now we just need to polish a few things

A few cool features that we add recently:
    - Option to use IK on Idle, OnlyStrafe, OnlyFree, WhileAttacking
    - The Aim system has a option to make the right hand use IK to really aim at where you're aiming
    - We also implement something that MGS:V has, since the bullet leaves from a muzzle of the weapon to a where you're aiming, there is a projection of the aim where you think the shoot will hit and where the bullet actually will hit, usually happens on corners.

Just a little taste for you guys of what is solid enought, but don't worry there is more coming soon :p

HeadClot88, LudiKha, abatcat and 3 others like this.
  17. Jasper1hu

Jasper1hu

Hi Invector team,

I have been using your melee combat asset for about one year now. I have to say I love this asset so much!

I am working on a soul-like action game that include large boss monsters, a little bit like monster hunter. I have meet a problem with making large monster recently. My characters cannot walk under between the large monster's lags because the capsule collider is blocking the player.(yeah ;) that large) So I want to use the ragdoll system (body part collider) to replace the capsule collider on the parent. I tried few time but it end up with a mass. Is this doable? do you have any suggestions of how to doing this?

Please help me! Thank you so much.

Malbers and Invector like this.
  18. drewradley

drewradley

You can try to set it up so the enemy layer changes when you are attacking and when you are moving and then you can set the physics so the player's layer ignores the enemy walking layer. Add some colliders to the legs that the player cannot walk through and they should be able to walk between the legs. At least I think it will work.

19. Invector

Invector

Hey @Jasper1hu , glad that you're enjoying yourself with the template :) and I got really curious about your gigantic monster, feel free to post some footage of your project whenever you feel ready here > http://invector.proboards.com/board/3/

About your question, drewradley pretty much got it right... you could make the main capsule collider of the enemy to work only with the Default layer (for scene collision) and disable the collision with the player... and make colliders from the legs to be your primary Enemy target.

20. AverageCoder

AverageCoder

Hi How would you sheathe and unsheathe sword from your back with this
    I am new to this and have no coding experience

All help is Appreciated.

21. thanhle

thanhle

when start game ... character move too slow ....
    i think i need "1-2 sec" to change speed walking to running ..... how i can edit this ?
    i need when start character alway running ... ( Skip the animation walking )

22. Invector

Invector

Take a look into the demo scene, basically all the features is there you just need to see how it works and reproduce into your scene, there is a script attached into the player call

just increase the walk/run speed in the player inspector, you can also remove the walk animation from the blend if you don't want to use, really simple :)

23. AverageCoder

AverageCoder

Hi I got the sword to stand still on the player back but i am stuck on how you would put it back on your back. Is there some way to make the sword go to specific position on the Transform component when dropped

24. AverageCoder

AverageCoder

This is because when i drop sword it stays still in the air

25. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

First, thanks for an excellent Third Person Controller. I've started to customize some things, so I'll have more questions soon. At the moment I've only got two questions.

Input:
    The list of inputs (when i check out InputManager) has names like "X", "A" etc. that correspond to the buttons on a gamepad. Wouldn't it make more sense to name this after the functionality instead, like "Attack", "Block" for example. I'm not a console guy, so I need to look a while to find these. I could of course use
    vMeleeCombatInput in the editor instead, which does a good job of showing this.

Granted we should take care of this ourselves when working on the actual game, but I think it would be easier this way. What do you think?

Custom stats/rpg system:
    I'm implementing an rpg system now, so I'll be customizing the Inventory/Weapon stats part of Invector a lot, maybe even switching out most of it. I've gotten a lot of good inspiration from your code though. I think I'll use json files instead of storing it in ScriptableObject assets, and doing the editing in Google Sheets, or a .NET application.

The main thing I'm wondering is if you think about keeping this part of Invector separate from the Core systems like movement, animation and the camera. I think a lot of people will customize the stats when making a game. A certain amount of separation would make it much simpler when Invector is updated, I'm thinking of merge conflicts etc.

Another approach would be to just choose one version of Invector, customize it heavily, and then stop updating it if not entirely necessary.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  26. Invector

Invector

Make sure that you setup the ItemID and EquipPointName correct, also there is one fake weapon that is already attached into the character, take a closer look into the example on the demo scene.

When you open our InputManager on the player inspector, you have the option to customize the input for keyboard, mobile or joystick so it's pretty easy already. :)

We always try to code things as modular as possible, so basically you can have the controller really clean and add only the things you need such as footstep, ragdoll, weapon directly into the player or manage by a inventory, hud or no hud, everything is pretty modular, so if you want to create your own inventory system to manage the weapons you can do.
    But we're always listening you guys, if you have any suggestion to improve the template let's us know

27. Weblox

Weblox

Dear Invector Team,

I have been using your asset for a while and I really like it a lot. I am however, having two returning issues that I can not seem to resolve. To describe the Problem I have a troubleshoot Playlist.

> Videos < .

Video # 01: Following the NPC Creation Tutorial I am getting anReturning Error when creating an NPC from a model that is placed in the Scene Hierarchy. The Error appears everytime when entering Play mode with every NPC that was created from Scene Hierarchy. Note: Error will NOT occur when creating directly from Project Directory,as seen in the next Video

This is Unitys Error Message shown in the first Video.

NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:74)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:154)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:147)
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:86)

The next two Videos showcase the second Issue : All Characters that are larger in size are affected.

Video # 02

0:05 Video first shows NPC-Character Creation from Project Hierarchy without Error and NPC-Character working as expected in Play Mode. No Problems here.

1:25 Second the creation of larger Enemy NPC. NPC will have its Navmesh disabled and not walk around, only "float" in the air. This is an issue with all Characters larger than average. In this Case the Character is twice the Players size.

3:55 and 4:30 As the video show at the end, if manually enabling the NavMesh component (as it is by default with smaller Models) the Character will start to walk around in a circle. Also manually disabling and reenabling the Capsule Collider at playtime has an effect, but does not resolve the Problem (The video does not show this.)

Video # 03 : Switching on/off the NavMesh Agent and/or Capsule Collider at Playtime

I already adjusted the Head Detection collider values after recording but that did not solve the Problem. I suppose this is might be a collider issue making the Character get in its own ways somewhere, disabling the NavMesh Agent . Any help would be appreciated.Note: I am using the Template since Version 2.0 and always had these issues in all versions. I am on Unity 5.4.1f1 (64-bit) with this Project.Thnx 4 your support.o_O

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  28. Invector

Invector

The first and second video are set to private, we can't watch... but the boss issue, here is the fix:
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/200/npc-floating-when-start

Weblox likes this.
  29. Weblox

Weblox

Thnk you for the quick fix and all the great help.To make it sure: The fix is the Code change in the first post,not the Collider adjustment in the last Post on that page, correct?. Can you support me with a line number, so I don't get lost in the v_AIMotor script? I will try it ASAP. and report back any issue.

Also all videos should now be public and viewable. Hope to hear back from you about the Unity error in the first video. Thanks a lot and keep up the good work. ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  30. Invector

Invector

the floating and walking in circles issues will be fixed with this hotfix, just follow this instructions and there is no way to miss

about the null error, it looks like some bug from the editor and not the template... try reimporting all your assets

Weblox likes this.
  31. Weblox

Weblox

Thanks for the awesome Support. Applied the Hotfix and it works like a charm. That had really gotten in my way. ;)

I could not try to reimport all my Assets to make the Unity Error disappear yet, but I can confirm that this Issue appears also on fresh Projects with only some Characters to try out. I totally understand that this might be Unity related and not Template specific, but any advice on this is still much appreciated. For now if I create all the Characters from my Project Tab then everystill still works fine, can you confirm that doing so should not break the Project at a later Point?

Again, thanks for your great support. :)

32. Invector

Invector

Hmmm I think it's very unlikely that this will break your project, this looks like a small editor bug, I google it and it happens with several users but somethings just restarting Unity makes the error goes away. I'm sure this will go aways when you re-import the package into another version or something like that

Weblox likes this.
  33. Weblox

Weblox

Great news.Thanx for making that clear. ;)

34. uni7y

uni7y

Just to be sure: is the Third Person Controller - Melee Combat Template from your webstite the same as on the asset store?

35. Invector

Invector

Yep, exactly the same ;)

uni7y likes this.
  36. uni7y

uni7y

Thanks bought it :)

37. Invector

Invector

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    HeadClot88 and Weblox like this.
  38. Invector

Invector

edit* well that's a buzz kill, gifs still don't work around here... try here then:
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/180/preview-shooter-template?page=8

Anyone into LaserSight?

+ AimSystem
    + Bodyparts (soon with damage multiplier per member)- Decals (forgot to turn on when I record this gif)

+ Decals (concrete, metal & blood)
    + Shield Block
    + Hand IK Helper to Aim correctly (optional)
    + Aim Sprite with trajectory preview (similar to MGS:V)

Weblox, abatcat and macodys like this.
  39. abatcat

abatcat

How about a destructible shield that falls apart as it takes damage? :D

Invector likes this.
  40. Invector

Invector

This can easily be done, just need the break model and a few lines using vCharacterStandalone and the TakeDamage method.

abatcat likes this.
  41. Kale

Kale

Any recommendation of limiting movement? An example would in MGS5 at the beginning, you can only crawl slowly in a given direction or backward even if you press left or right.

EDIT: At 12:40, apparently unity doesn't allow for linking to a certain time.

Though it's hard to see, iirc, the player can move the stick to any direction towards the character's front, it will crawl in a predetermined path, and behind the character to crawl backwards on that same path. Or is that a whole mess of complications?

42. Invector

Invector

Judging by the interaction with the seat, this is a unique animation that you can control by a parameter, for example we did that in the animation ClimbLadder, take a look into the animator, we change the speed of the animation 1 or -1 by using the parameter InputVertical, so if I press up he will play the animation, and down it will reverse the animation speed, giving the illusion that you're going back.

43. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

Is there a good demo for the 2.5D functionality?

Also, do the newer features(like melee and shooting combat) work well in 2.5D mode?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  44. Invector

Invector

We have a basic 2.5D demo scene the melee works all right, but the shooter will need a few extra things that we will add in the future.

45. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi Invector about what I stated earlier about the Melee Template for a Dynasty Warriors type of game I see where your Template can possibly be used as a nice starting point for Dragon Ball Xenoverse style game play as far as the fighting mechanics go. By the way can you give a hint at least of to how I can make my character levitate and fly like in Xenoverse?

Weblox likes this.
  46. Invector

Invector

Well you could create a new Locomotion Type, and the add the logic of your flying state... but it really depends on what you need. If it's something simple like floating in the air, a copy of the strafe would be enought, but if you want to go up/down, then you need to add a few more things. Try search for a flying tutorial, there is several out there and you can implement into the template.

47. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hmm I've been researching and trying to find tutorials on how to make characters fly using C# scripting but there are too few tutorials on both Google and Youtube. Also most of the tutorials I did find are kind of outdated and the others that aren't old aren't related to humanoid characters but are geared towards Jets, Airplanes, and there's even one about a dragon so none of them are even using mecanim. :(

48. Malbers

Malbers

You can do reverse engineering to this asset, its free!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28647

Alexarah likes this.
  49. wood333

wood333

We are going to make some of our NPCs fly using ICE Creature Control

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35364

Really hoping for an official integration between TPC Invector and I.C.E., sometime after Invector shooter upgrade is finished.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Alexarah and abatcat like this.
  50. zenGarden

zenGarden

@Invector
    Will it be AI controllers with cover system in the TPS shooter template able to navigate properly in some good formation ?
    There is already Tactical Shooter AI that is doing really well , what could be the advantages of your TPS shooter ?
    About AI if there will be one ? Would it be Goal Weight based and let users make as much conditions they want ?