Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

24 Hour Terrain Demo

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Freddy888

Freddy888

Oops nevermind. I found it. It was 'Grass Resolution'. :)

Can I put any figure in there ? For example what value did you use for this demo ?

2. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can put any figure in there. You can see in the pdf tutorial what resolutions we used:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/demos/

Nathaniel

3. Freddy888

Freddy888

Great thanks - I will study that.

4. Freddy888

Freddy888

Very interesting read :)

Did you use a grass asset from the store ? I'd like to get hold of those ones you used.

Thanks for your time.

5. eagle555

eagle555

Peter made the purple grass texture and the rest we used from Michael O's Nature Pack.

Nathaniel

Freddy888 likes this.
  6. Freddy888

Freddy888

7. eagle555

eagle555

Freddy888 likes this.
  8. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Nathaniel,

I am developing a naturalistic scene for an interdisciplinary research study and I am using your "How We Did It" guide as instructions. Unfortunately,I cannot get past the 'Combined2' .raw generation. The file is too computationally intractable, even for a powerful PC (I'm running Falcon Tiki with Titan Black GPU). Given the limitations of our study, it may be possible for me to compute the Combined2.raw for a smaller space, but the calculations inside Photoshop would vary considerably. Suggestions?

9. eagle555

eagle555

It's probably that there's too many shadow pixels in the combined raw. Either you have set the color range to a too greyisch color or you have lots of water texturing in the image. Water is seen as shadow and need to be replaced by a white color in photoshop first. Then after shadow removal you can change the white for a desert (sand) satellite image.

Nathaniel

10. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

Nathaniel did you get my email at all. I sent you an email explaining how I went tp buy Terrain Composer
    and as I was in a rush at the time (stupid thing to do, rushing at my age I know) and got World Composer by misstake. I
    was asking if there was a way to swap the purchase over to Terrain Composer the generous $45
    turns in to somit like $60 NZ so I would not be affording to pay for both and I wouldn't use World Composer
    at any rate. Hoping I can fix this up

11. eagle555

eagle555

I got the mail and we fixed it :).

Nathaniel

12. klund

klund

I have some danish terrains in asc that I have imported. How do i combine multiple converted asc files that represents tiles from adjacent areas ?.

The importer writes statement as:
    1) "Minimum height = 12.87 Maximum height = 131.81" for the first file
    2) "Minimum height = -0.42 Maximum height = 127.9" for the second file
    Does these numbers refer to the same scale. ?

13. eagle555

eagle555

The easiest way to do it would be to combine your ascii files first to one big ascii file with third party software. As WC normalizes each asc file to min height = 0 and max height = 1.

Nathaniel

14. truculencias

truculencias

Hello nathaniel, i bought your software Terrain Composer and for me is the best terrain builder and modifier from Unity asset store, you can combine with RTP and the results are amazing.

Today i spoke with Tom about where is better blend textures if is better blend in RTP or better in terrain composer mix rate and slider mode. Because i don´t know if with terrain composer normal map and heightmap blend it, but he said yes is better use your software to do blend with mix rate and slider mode.

Really nice work, congrats and i impatient to see more update and more tutorials about your software

15. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker

World Machine has a very cool erosion feature, unfortunately it's like $249 bux.

16. eagle555

eagle555

Nathaniel

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Seneral and Todd-Wasson like this.
  17. paulojsam

paulojsam

is the city created as well as the terrain

18. Seneral

Seneral

No, there is no such data available by WC alone because Bing maps doesn't have it.
    But what you can do is generate it with TC or even better with Map-Ity (I think there's even an integration, but have never used it). With a bit of work (or some other asset like Build-R) you can generate these buildings along with the downloaded map:)

19. eagle555

eagle555

Only the terrains with heightmap and satellite images are created like I show in the feature part of the WC trailer. As Seneral says, WC is compatible with mapity. Map-ity uses open street maps to give you data to automatically generate buildings and mesh overlay roads.

Nathaniel

20. davide445

davide445

Tested the demo and it's really beautiful, I just wandered around for 1h reaching the peak.
    Some more technical questions: I always find horrible the realtime LOD changes with trees appearing suddenlty or changin shape or the terrain details appearing in a sharp line, considering my goal is to create videos where the visual need to remain consistent. Attached a screenshot with just an example (non so evident, on the vegetated part was worse) where the LOD line is a straight line where before there is some details and after less.
    I suppose this is quite common for every game engine, but there is a way to smooth the whole thing?
    Terrain Composer demo LOD.JPG
    Also the snow showed a moving pointed noise looking it far away, really annoying moving aroung. Also this can be smoothed/eliminated in any way?
    Terrain Composer demo 3.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  21. Seneral

Seneral

I think RTP has LOD falloffs, which interpolates the LOD levels. I don't know if it is only in the newer versions or if it wasn't used in this demo, but there is afaik.
    And the noise on the snow looks like 'artifacts' from the snow glitter maybe, perhaps it has been fixed by now, else it's easy to ask the developer Tom;)
    I think the version 4 of RTP is about to be released so those errors will probably be adressed by now;)

davide445 likes this.
  22. tomaszek

tomaszek

24h demo uses RTP3 approaches. Upclose terrain doesn't look much spectacular. It was rather meant to look beutiful as openworld. RTP4 is not much about to be released, but I'm progressing. You'll love it :).

Tom

23. Seneral

Seneral

Thanks for clarification, anyway, I'm glad to wait for it!
    While we're on it, any chance you can get multiple splat textures (like MegaSplat does) onto the terrain using two more textures and texture arrays in RTPv4? That would be so amazing to explore!

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

This is one of the main RTP4 differences - unlimited texture number (of course in reasonable amount, but default 32 that can be configured to 64 is enoguh I guess - having to store that big texture arrays would eat all GPU RAM...)

Tom

Seneral likes this.
  25. Seneral

Seneral

Wow! I knew it! :D
    Thank you so much. Can't wait to play with that and RTP.
    Would have bet on MegaSplat else, but sadly it is not as advanced as RTP, let alone does it work on terrains...

26. Amritsar85

Amritsar85

Hello everyone,
    I read the documentation of the 24h demo but I am wondering how you setting up your terrain (30x30 km).
    As a matter of fact in your setting you make a tileset of 2x2. Each tile represent 150 000x150 000 unit?
    I found the result very nice. Can we make the same thing in TC2?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  27. eagle555

eagle555

Yes 2x2 tiles with terrain size of 15x15 km. Yes same can be made with TC2 even better.