Search Unity

Chrome version 32 not displaying webplayer

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by soloneer, Jan 20, 2014.

1. soloneer

soloneer

Anyone else seeing this same issue (it's definitely more than just me at my work). Where playing webplayer of Unity since Chrome 32.x only shows a white screen. The player is definitely loading and can be seen by "refreshing " through resizing the page in some way by pressing F11 etc. I've seen some posts elsewhere of similar issue with Flash.

Update: Version 33 of Chrome seems to have fixed this issue, and so it was a genuine bug in Chrome. The NPAPI stuff is a bit of a smokescreen and I don't think related to this since for now Unity is on the Google Chrome NPAPI whitelist.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. jcarpay

jcarpay

3. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

4. jonkuze

jonkuze

Are we Sure Google will even consider this a Bug at this point with them on their way to completely remove support for NPAPI Plugins? Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't care, who knows they may be pulling the plug right now...

I just started getting this issue also, Unity Player Not Loading... I even cleared by browser Cache and History, Restart Chrome and still it did not load Unity at first, eventually it started loading... but then happened again.

I doubt Google will care... best of luck to us who Need Unity Webplayer Working, and Chrome Pulling the Plug on it soon...

5. soloneer

soloneer

I'm in the same boat, all the Unity developers I work with develop for Webplayer as the primary platform, for paying end users. Simply "well it won't work on Chrome now" isn't really good enough unless we know clearly that it will be fixed or there's an alternative. :/

6. soloneer

soloneer

As far as I can tell, this issue is only on the windows install of chrome 32.0. My mac version works fine as does everyone I ask.

7. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

I had this issue, and then discovered that if I opened the plugins window ( chrome://plugins ) and manually checked the "always allow" for the Unity WebPlayer, it worked again for me.

Perhaps my issue was unrelated as I can only speak from my own experience, but hopefully it helps some of you out at least.

EDIT: As an aside, actually selecting "Allow for this site" or "Allow now" when chrome prompted did NOT work, I just ended up with a blank area, only going into the plugins settings and forcing it to "always allow" was what fixed it for me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. soloneer

soloneer

This makes no difference for me or the others I know with the problem unfortunately. Even if it did work there's still the issue of the thousands of our end users then having to make this manual change.

9. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Ah, that's a pity :/ ... it definitely did the trick for me. I agree 100% that it's not a "solution" though. It's merely a hacky work-around (if it does work for you) for those that might need it.

10. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Ok so, I found another PC to test and try some things with this, using various random WebPlayer examples online.

This is definitely a Chrome bug. I've noticed that, even with the settings I used (in my above post) it still shows a white screen in each tab until you open the developer console. At that point, it displays, you can then hide the developer console and any other WebPlayer examples loaded in that same tab will now work.

It seems that (sometimes) it simply doesn't load and you have to give it a gentle "jiggle" (ie: open dev console) ... and then it displays in that tab. Most frustrating.

11. LukeTomes

LukeTomes

Also experiencing this behaviour here on multiple windows machines (Windows 7 and 8). Common factor is Chrome version 32.0.1700.76 or .102.

Same version number of Chrome on OS X is fine.

12. AtomicAdam

AtomicAdam

I just tried chrome 33.0.1750.58 beta
    And the problem still exists in next version :(

13. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Yep, this is definitely a problem. I sure hope this gets addressed soon, it's so much easier to get people to play your game in a browser than from an executable they have to download :(

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I hope you've contacted Google to tell them how this is affecting you.

15. jcarpay

jcarpay

Is there communication between Unity HQ and Google about this issue?

16. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Is that really how this is going to go? My understanding is that the standards have changed and ALL browsers will going this route in future releases. I think another user already reported issues in the nightly builds of firefox. I don't think the browsers are going to budge on this one...

17. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes at the end of 2014 the Unity web player will stop working in Chrome. And yes, that's frustrating, and yes, Unity is talking with Google about this. However, this thread is about a bug in current versions of Chrome, which, if you following the link above, you'll see was reported by one of the Unity engineers. The parent bug (325309) was fixed by Google on 23rd Jan. So looks to me that Google has budged on fixing a bug in Chrome. I've had a quick look around the Chrome release page, but not seen any SVN logs that indicate this fix has made it into stable, beta or dev versions of Chrome, yet.

18. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Actually I thought this thread was about "Chrome version 32 not displaying webplayer"

That bug is certainly related, but so is [332749] which appears to have been incorrectly merged with the bug you linked, and doesn't appear to have been resolved.

Thank you though for the clear and concise statement "at the end of 2014 the Unity web player will stop working in Chrome." I feel like it's been pulling teeth to get that statement from anyone at Unity.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  19. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yeah, but I think by the end of 2014 there'll be a version of Chrome newer than v32.
    As I said, 332749 was reported by one of the Unity engineers to Google. Google then merged it with 325309 which appears to be the same problem affecting regular URLs without the Unity plugin. I can't comment on how Google handle their bugs, however.

Well the web player we know and love is an NPAPI plugin, and Chrome will cease supporting NPAPI at the end of the year. So, it's true that the plugin we know and love today is going to stop working. I don't think that's new or I've revealed some hidden truth.

20. jonkuze

jonkuze

Not surprising... why should they care to fix this, fixing a Unity Webplayer Plugin based on NPAPI is that last thing Google is concerned about right now. Sorry for being so bitter, but yea Graham, i'm pretty damn disappointed about the whole situation and will continue to be until i see a solution from Unity regarding Unity Webplayer not working in Chrome past this year, hell it's barely working now... And of-coarse I know this is not Unity's fault... just patiently waiting for some news on where Unity is going with the Web Player...

21. jcarpay

jcarpay

+1

22. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Um, but the bug affects reddit.com. So it's not a Unity-specific problem. Google say they have fixed it.

23. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

It apparently also affects Flash, so I'm pretty sure they can't just push this aside.

24. jonkuze

jonkuze

ah i see... i thought it was a NPAPI issue... but i guess it's an overall browser bug, either way hmm i don't think it's fixed as I still can't load my Unity Webplayer Content without Reloading a Page 3-5 times... :mad:

25. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

That's what I have been trying to say. The NPAPI nightmare and this problem with Chrome 32 are not related. Chrome 32 has a bug that affects how pages are displayed. Google claim this to be fixed, but apparently not in a shipping version.

26. kiriyee

kiriyee

Same effect with NPAPI Flash Player.

27. jonkuze

jonkuze

has anyone found a work around for this issue?

i'm seriously getting F#$!% over here... i depend on web player plugins heavily, and my visitors can't even load my games if the game and webpage is loaded from an external link which opens a new tab...

Geez... it's bad enough Google is removing support for NPAPI Plugins, but now I can't even get a single game to load in the browser if visitors come to my website or game from an external link, which that is about 90% of my traffic if not more!

ARG!!!

28. soloneer

soloneer

I haven't confirmed it with anyone else but version 33 has fixed the issue for me.

29. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Chrome 33 looks better for this too.

At least preliminary impressions... I did try to change some settings (GPU acceleration and such) in Chrome 32 and it worked at first but then broken again after some time. So we'll see.

30. jonkuze

jonkuze

Awesome! Yes, Now it's Working!! Geez... Finally!!

Also @darkmobius if you haven't read the other threads someone posted link to Unity GDC Presentations, and one of them will be on Deploying Unity to the Web, so lets hope for the Best!

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828194

31. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

:)